What to do - Interiors/Villas

Hi Everyone

Am now in the process of selecting colours, tiles etc for my 3 villas.

When I was viewing various builders villas I did notice the interior of each villa was different, not just in design of course but the selection of colours, style all had their own unique look.

Also there was more care taken with the middle villa and I realise now that is because it is harder to sell, so spec up a little more is probably the way to go.

Its easier for me to just have all the interiors the same, my concern is whether this will impact on resale, will buyers be put off that all 3 villa interiors are exactly the same colours, same kitchen stone bench top etc.??

Perhaps this is minor in the scheme of things, but why then do the builders make sure they are all different.

Anyone got an answer for this one??

cheers
MTR:)

Hi Everyone

Am now in the process of selecting colours, tiles etc for my 3 villas.

When I was viewing various builders villas I did notice the interior of each villa was different, not just in design of course but the selection of colours, style all had their own unique look.

Also there was more care taken with the middle villa and I realise now that is because it is harder to sell, so spec up a little more is probably the way to go.

Its easier for me to just have all the interiors the same, my concern is whether this will impact on resale, will buyers be put off that all 3 villa interiors are exactly the same colours, same kitchen stone bench top etc.??

Perhaps this is minor in the scheme of things, but why then do the builders make sure they are all different.

Anyone got an answer for this one??

cheers

very good post MTR.

looking forward to hearing from others on this.

what i've noticed is some people try to make each villa slightly unique. some use bamboo flooring instead of porcelain tiles or if there's a galley kitchen then the extra feature of waterfall stone bench top. i've not really noticed colour scheme differences to be honest.

the other thing i did also see in some villas in Diannella was the usage of not only recessed ceilings but also the added feature of a hidden light trove; not sure if this is what it's called?

OMG I totally understand this.

It's incredibly hard coming up with 3 colour schemes you like but I think it's a good idea for a triplex - for my quad I did 2 colour schemes as there was no way I could do 4 :)

I don't think they have to be distinctly different, just something subtle.

Suggestions:
- not everything has to be different, ie you can use the same floor tile in 2 but a different in third.
- same kitchens but different splashbacks can really change the look
- a contrasting pantry colour laminate on one kitchen can also make 2 kitchens with the same base colour scheme look different.
- still stick to nuetrals

Why not just do them the same?
If I was inspecting a property i was considering buying or renting, I wouldn't say "Hmm i really don't like how the neighbors have the same"

I agree that they should be done slightly differently. It shouldn't cost a lot more but it will give the dwellings a sense of uniqueness when in fact they are all pretty much the same ;)

What you could do is stage them differently too/or instead. If staged well, the furniture will take the focus off the fixed surfaces, fixtures and fittings and maybe people won't even notice.

OMG I totally understand this.

It's incredibly hard coming up with 3 colour schemes you like but I think it's a good idea for a triplex - for my quad I did 2 colour schemes as there was no way I could do 4 :)

I don't think they have to be distinctly different, just something subtle.

Suggestions:
- not everything has to be different, ie you can use the same floor tile in 2 but a different in third.
- same kitchens but different splashbacks can really change the look
- a contrasting pantry colour laminate on one kitchen can also make 2 kitchens with the same base colour scheme look different.
- still stick to nuetrals

Thanks for the tips.
I very much like the idea of contrasting pantry laminate.
Its tough, where is my interior designer???? Sam??:);)

Good question. I recently viewed a neighbour to our rental properties 2 new villas built behind existing house with different colour schemes and layout. I totally fell in love with the middle villa. The end villa had some views of the river from a bedroom but I still liked the middle villa floor plan and colour scheme (even down to the paint colour!) so much more.
I want to ask her what she chose. Do you know what the schedule is called?

Why not just do them the same?
If I was inspecting a property i was considering buying or renting, I wouldn't say "Hmm i really don't like how the neighbors have the same"

Not sure, it could be a psyche thing, where people don't like to know that its cookie cutter interior, if you know what I mean. Some people perhaps like to know their villa is unique from their neighbours.

Don't know why...............In Atlanta when I was buying properties, all the newer estates the homes are absolutely identical, that is elevation, you can not tell them apart. Imagine what could happen after a few wines:eek:

Back to being serious, if I was renting them out and not selling, it would not be an issue, this is purely from a selling prospective.

I could also mix it a little, have floor boards in the middle villa and perhaps tiles with others.

http://www.promenadeconstruction.com.au/#!/page_gallery6
This builder uses a feature tile wall, its looks ordinary in the photos, however it provides a stunning, unique effect and relatively cheap to do, so another option I will look at with one of the villas.

I think I have pretty much decided to mix, have a slight variation with each villa. Hopefully villa 2 can be jazzed up a little more to sell.

I could also mix it a little, have floor boards in the middle villa and perhaps tiles with others.

http://www.promenadeconstruction.com.au/#!/page_gallery6
This builder uses a feature tile wall, its looks ordinary in the photos, however it provides a stunning, unique effect and relatively cheap to do, so another option I will look at with one of the villas.

I think I have pretty much decided to mix, have a slight variation with each villa. Hopefully villa 2 can be jazzed up a little more to sell.

I've seen similar done with faux exposed brickwork and subway tiles, can create an interesting touch.

Not sure, it could be a psyche thing, where people don't like to know that its cookie cutter interior, if you know what I mean. Some people perhaps like to know their villa is unique from their neighbours.

Don't know why...............In Atlanta when I was buying properties, all the newer estates the homes are absolutely identical, that is elevation, you can not tell them apart. Imagine what could happen after a few wines:eek:

Back to being serious, if I was renting them out and not selling, it would not be an issue, this is purely from a selling prospective.

Ha, where I grew up it was like that! One day I was going for a walk and my Aunty and grandma pulled up at a house in front of me. I said hello to them and asked them what they were doing here. They said they were dropping in to visit my mum. I had to tell them our house was the next street over. :)

Ha, where I grew up it was like that! One day I was going for a walk and my Aunty and grandma pulled up at a house in front of me. I said hello to them and asked them what they were doing here. They said they were dropping in to visit my mum. I had to tell them our house was the next street over. :)

That is very funny

Back