What to do with empty backyard area?

Hi guys,

Long time reader, only a few posts so far. I enjoy reading these forums. I've bought and am living in a (small) place in Canberra, and one year on, am wondering what to do with the backyard. The house is a very small freestanding house, almost like a townhouse in size.

I think my goal with this house would be to turn it into an investment property down the track, if I am financially able. The block of land is TINY, and the backyard the same.

I've put a garden shed up in one corner of the backyard, and there is about 35 square metres of irregularly shaped dirt left.

What should I do with it? Hopefully you can suggest a low-care option for me, and for (potential) tenants down the track. Which of the following options strike a good balance between my needs and the preferences of potential tenants down the track?

i) Grass?
ii) Artificial grass?
iii) Gravel/dirt?
iv) Pebbles?
v) Concrete (plain/patterned)?
vi) Paving?

I'm pretty stuck. Have done a search on the forums and I think that artificial grass isn't very popular. However, grass would be difficult too, as the climate is terrible for it, especially in winter. Dust from the gravel/dirt will probably get blown around and be a general PITA too. Paving looks expensive too...

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Ay pics?

Maybe an outdoor entertainment area. Paving or alfresco with bbq area etc.
depending what the property alreadyhas.

I think an outdoor entertaining area would appeal to most tenants

Cheers

I think my goal with this house would be to turn it into an investment property down the track, if I am financially able.

I'm pretty stuck. Have done a search on the forums and I think that artificial grass isn't very popular. Paving looks expensive too...

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Get your finance structure in place now as if it is already an IP. Interest only with linked offset account to preserve the principal.

I would go for the artificial grass for a small area and break it up with plants and maybe small paved area/s. Artificial grass is popular in the west and if done right looks good imo. I have a grass front and back and hate mowing it and looking after it but I do anyway cause it has to look good :) I should have gone artificial in retrospect.

I would go with paving. Permanent and maintenance free if laid properly. It is not a big area and paving can always be "dressed up" with some plants in pots if a tenant wants.

An alternative could be stencilled concrete which may give a similar effect for a cheaper price (depending on access).
Marg

lol mowing 35m2 isn't a big deal. I just mowed 2 of my investment properties this morning, 2300m2 for those 2 alone, then my own property is 1600m2, and the 3rd property is another 650m2. I do all the mowing for all my properties. 35m2 would take about 2 mins to mow, and you'd only have to do that once a month.

Our townhouse has a tiny courtyard at the back which had a square of concrete and lots of tall unkept grass (weeds) growing over the concrete. We removed all the "garden" and replaced it with pebbles to make a little border around the concrete. The tenant can pretty it up with pot plants if she wants to, otherwise a quick spray with weedkiller once or twice a year so far has kept them all at bay.

My mother's townhouse has grass on three sides. We paved about 3/4 of it and bought her a $200 electric mower for the bits that are still grass.

We put artificial grass in our IP in Bonner and I think it looks great. The tenants love it cause there's no maintenance for them.

Friends are renting and the whole backyard is covered in tanbark. They have scraped away a small section and put fake grass down which theycan remove later

Hi everyone, thanks for the ideas so far. Keep the opinions rolling along :)

From the gist of your answers, the tenants will want a usable space. At the moment, leaning towards patterned concrete, but will mull on it over the next few days.

Not too keen on grass, to be honest. The amount of watering I'll have to do and the (during winter) climate here isn't really ideal for such a small patch. Not to mention a whole lot of shade, especially in the morning. I don't think the grass will thrive.

Thanks for everyone's contributions so far!

Back