What to do with vacant property

Looks like you've put a lot of effort into the renos. I would replace the curtain as well. Neutral coloured curtain or blinds will make it more attractive. Maybe adding a floorplan? Try using a wide angle lens to take some of the photos.

You could advertise it as "pet friendly" to see if you get any new interest. Pet owners are very eager to rent as there is so little supply, most will settle for whatever is available in the current market. Specify in the ad what type of pets you will consider (eg, a cat or rabbit or guinea pig but not 3 big dogs), otherwise you could be swarmped with requests.

I'm right up there with the mob - get rid of those goddam awful green curtains. Buy some ready to hang cheapies from Spotlight (or similar) in white (or cream) and then retake your photos ... from eye level ... not lying on the floor.

Lizzie, the best height to take photos, and I say this from watching the pros, is on one knee, and with a good wide angle lense. If you take while standing, the lense angle is picking up the floor a little too far away, and it may make the room look small. I think the laying on floor position was to make up for a too narrow angle lense. And you also need to back out through an opening, say a door way, which basically is the view the people first have as they step into a room. That will make it feel natural. Green is my second fav colour, so ignore the other comments :)
Good luck

You are competing against another brand new 2br GF at $380pw, 2 bedroom unit at 315 pw, 3 bedroom house with renovated kitchen for 365pw, and a near new 3br villa with garage for 430pw.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the granny flat another week and see how that goes.

One of our IP became vacant last week. Agents told us to advertise it for $380.00 but I asked them to advertise it for $370.00. About 12 groups inspected the property and we received about 7 applications. New tenant is moving in next Sat! I think it is all because it was $10 less than the market rate which is basically only a week rent in 12 month period.
Also make sure the new tenancy agreement is for 11 months or 7 months to avoid being vacant during holiday period next year.

Good news.
Agent called me and found 2 families from burma for $460
2 husband and wife, and 1 sister.

Moving in the 21st

Iv let the agent know to do a 7 month contract. They understand the granny flat arrangement and that the driveway will not be theirs.

The tenants want a 12 month contract, but I would like to stick with 7 first
Agent advised me against increasing rent after 6 months, however, I still feel that the rent is quite cheap for the area. An extra $10 would be fantastic

Is there anything else I should include in the contract?

Last edited:
Back