what was your best "aha" decorating idea?

ever had one of those moments where you've been pondering a particular decorating deliema (inside or out) and sudden, out of the blue, the answer appears? one where the idea pops in and it's a perfect fit? one that gets you really excited after months or wrestling with "not quite right" answers?

i had two today - wow - still buzzing.

i know they'll sound really corny and basic but they are just so right.

the first ... we have 12ft ceilings in the new ppor (with picture rail) and have recently upsized to a kingsized bed. i've been struggling with what to do with the huge gap inbetween the bed and the ceiling as it looks very very vacant. i was going to hang a picture, a large mirror, make a bedhead but nothing seems quite right. the today i was pondering what to do with the two beautiful 1930's original stained glass fan lights that are being pulled out when we reno. "ping" - how perfect. i'll clean them up and hang them over the bed as two separate "artworks" on chains from the picture rail. they will match perfectly with the fully stained glass casement window in the bedroom and that fabulous lifesize glass mosaic bust that wylie made for me. the rest of the bedroom is fairly plain so the colour glass will really pop.

the second ... we were thinking about putting in a pool as junior loooooves to swim and we've always had one, but at no change out of $25k, the plan to only be here 3 years and living 5mins drive from the beach, we couldn't justify the expense. backup plan was to buy a portable spa for the (planned) cabanna area, but still a lot of money even tho we could take it with us - and it would take up most of the cabanna space. then today i was thinking about how to sell the cast iron replica bath when we redo the 1st bathroom (bathroom is just too small) when - "ping". why not set up the bath in the cabanna (plumbing is run to the garage right next to it already) and have it drain out to the garden. then there would still be heaps of room for a day bed etc, and the bath is way big enough for two adults, or two kids to play in.

sometimes the simplist answers are so hard to see in front of you, but fit so perfectly.

what are you "ping"s?

my biggest "aha!" moment was realising that Selley's No More Gaps is the same colour as melamine, so i could hide those join seams that were wider than normal thanks to the uneven walls they were fixed to....

Back