What Will The "Free-Trade-Aggrement"with China do for Australia..

Not having a go at you personally, but I am sick to death of the people who I associate with banging on about free health care. I visit a doctor on average around every two years or so but I pay around $700 per year in Medicare levy and medicare levy surcharge. So, on average, it costs me around $1400 for every doctor visit. $7 what? $7 is nothing. ;-)

No offence taken.

I am planning to see a doctor as frequently as possible and have my whole body probed. I want to nip anything in the bud! And do it while its still cheap.

Further more, I will ensure that I am the first patient in the morning to see the doc. That way I can reasonably be assured that the probing devices have been sterilized over night but they will still need to pass my sniff test lol.

And anything that smells suss will be jammed up the doc lol.

Geopolitics is a method of foreign policy analysis which seeks to understand, explain, and predict international political behaviour primarily in terms of geographical variables.

I see you've found Wiki's definition! Thats a good start! Geopolitics is a broad term that encompasses analysing how countries act in the context of their geographical region, history, culture etc etc. As the days of major territorial expansion are thankfully mostly over (Russia aside), economic power (including FTA?s) has increasingly become part of the geopolitical landscape.

Btw, don't bother googling that, I came up with it all by myself ;)

I see you've found Wiki's definition! Thats a good start! Geopolitics is a broad term that encompasses analysing how countries act in the context of their geographical region, history, culture etc etc. As the days of major territorial expansion are thankfully mostly over (Russia aside), economic power (including FTA?s) has increasingly become part of the geopolitical landscape.

Btw, don't bother googling that, I came up with it all by myself ;)

Your trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Nothing broad about the definition at all.

The FTA as it stands, and what we know about it so far, is simply improved access under better terms. That access has existed for some time. Even that looks like pretty slim pickings for a decades worth of negotiation. AU has struggled to diversify its markets in China and has been criticised in the past for the narrow range of products/services it has developed namely resources, education and tourism.

I'm waiting for the reveal on what Abbott forfeited in the name of expediency. I certainly doubt the estimates of benefits promulgated so far. Govt's have a habit of exaggerating projected outcomes to enhance their standing. I can't see this being anything different.

Personally I don't think anyone should be able to buy primary producing land or mines, we should just lease it to them for 25 years or so.

The amount of actual land they buy is infinitesimal in the scheme of things. What is more concerning is their move to lock up the entire supply chain. While everyone's bemoaning the land grab they're quietly buying up the processing plants.

I don't really have a problem with the Chinese buying and investing in a country. It's the way it is structured that is of more importance and interest to me. The Chinese are more likely to bring stability and long term certainty to anything they buy into. Their needs will continue to increase as their consumer base increases at home.

The long term strategic play is to lock in the relationship. The more invested and beneficial to the Chinese the relationship becomes the less likelihood they will go somewhere else.

The downside is we may forfeit too much to capture the opportunity or strengthen the relationship. Another factor which became obvious during the resource boom was too much reliance on China as an export trade partner. The 'Dutch Disease' situation is very real but I don't think we have a lot of choice at the moment. We take export growth where we can get it these days.

China will be allowed to import more temporary Chinese workers

Maybe this means less "engineers" coming in :D

Should be good for agriculture especially the red meat industry. Will give a big confidence boost to graziers in the top end. They need it too after the last few years. Well done to Barnaby Joyce.

No wonder Twiggy and now Gina are getting into Beef

Australian wine producers, financial and insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, Eduction providers, Seafood etc all benefit

Apparently Australian consumers will enjoy a billion-dollar a year price cut on Chinese imports

Friends with benefits

This is just getting ridiculous. FTA with friends of mother Russia?

Australia trying to be pals with the commies? By befriending China, indirectly we are befriending Russia, which by the way we are sanctioning. Oh and China is buying gas and oil from the Russians too.

Is this a case of "The friend of my enemy is my friend"? Go figure... :confused:

Apparently Australian consumers will enjoy a billion-dollar a year price cut on Chinese imports

But we'll pay more for local stuff... inevitable, an increased range of buyers means higher price competition.

At the end of the day, Australia doesn't have sufficient capital generation to carry out a large number of major infrastructure projects we potentially need, so we need to get the money externally.

Not having a go at you personally, but I am sick to death of the people who I associate with banging on about free health care. I visit a doctor on average around every two years or so but I pay around $700 per year in Medicare levy and medicare levy surcharge. So, on average, it costs me around $1400 for every doctor visit. $7 what? $7 is nothing. ;-)

I think it's more the fact that you now have a direct disincentive to see a doctor. Whether you go to the doctor 100 times in a year or not at all, it won't make a difference to how much medicare levy you pay.

And you only pay $700 for health insurance? I pay a few grand!

This is just getting ridiculous. FTA with friends of mother Russia?

Australia trying to be pals with the commies? By befriending China, indirectly we are befriending Russia, which by the way we are sanctioning. Oh and China is buying gas and oil from the Russians too.

Is this a case of "The friend of my enemy is my friend"? Go figure... :confused:

Have you forgotten to take your tablets? That is a ridiculous posy

I think it's more the fact that you now have a direct disincentive to see a doctor. Whether you go to the doctor 100 times in a year or not at all, it won't make a difference to how much medicare levy you pay.

And you only pay $700 for health insurance? I pay a few grand!

My issue with it is that it punishes those on a lower income (because $7 is a bigger proportion of their disposable income). Tone's approach has always been about helping business and the rich so it's to be expected.

My issue with it is that it punishes those on a lower income (because $7 is a bigger proportion of their disposable income). Tone's approach has always been about helping business and the rich so it's to be expected.

I think the idea is to reduce disincentives for people to become rich.

That can come across as 'help rich, bash poor' - but its probably a little bit less class warfare than it may seem.

In terms of a 'user-pay' system to medicare, theoritically it could work to improve the efficiency of the health care system. It would need the appropraite safety nets in place and have its spillovers managed (e.g moving to other free healthcare systems, hospitals).

Kind of like toll roads (user pay system) - having more of them will promote more investment in roads, etc.

Cheers,
Redom

Very one-sided agreement agreement. China is using its economic position to give free kicks to neighbours. The only one not getting any is Japan.

Back