What would be the effect of an LVR Cap ?

With the idea of a cap on LVR's being raised by the RBA and in the media I was wondering what the effect of this would be.

The first impact would be on First Home owners.

My daughter is buying her first unit for just over 400 K . At an 95 % LVR , with stamp duty and legals she needs around 40 K , At an LVR of 80 % she would need around 100 K . That takes a lot of saving unless you're starting life on a fairly high income .

So it would delay that initial purchase by several years unless the government chipped in with a generous FHOG or parents / grandparents helped out.

It would slow down the rate rate at which some people invest in multiple properties however in our situation we're already only borrowing at an LVR of 80 on individual properties and using an LOC on our PPOR to pay for the difference. So it would only limit a few people who are being aggressive with their borrowing.

One thought would be to limit the LVR on subsequent properties that someone purchases , however from all accounts the number of people buying multiple properties is a small minority and I can't think that the government is going to be concerned about the pain caused to a small minority of aggressive investors as the fallout from them coming unstuck is not likely to be massive.

That does leave us with those people who only buy one investment property. I'm assuming that these people would appear to be relatively conservative then I wonder how many of these people are borrowing aggressively.

I think an 80 % LVR applied universally would cause too much disruption in the " natural order " .

Maybe a 90 % LVR for a first purchase and then an 80 % LVR on subsequent purchases in a persons name and any purchase in trust structures or within company names . Having this limit on Trust and Company holdings would also limit how aggressively the commercial side can invest and might give some added stability . I'm assuming that many commercial and development work is done on 100 % LVR ( correct or not ?) so maybe in order for there not to be a total stop , in particular in terms of new buildings , maybe the banks will be allowed to take an equity position in new developments.

The other alternative would be to limit the 80 % LVR to family trusts and superannuation funds and let Companies be un restricted.

On a personal note I'd prefer no change , allow 105 % LVR's and a really big bubble ....:eek: , however some restriction on borrowing would lead to a more steady growth and less likelihood of intermittent crashes , but I'm assuming as human beings we'd find ways around that limitation and still be able to create booms and busts .

I'd be interested in know what the brokers on the forum find about the spread of LVR's on the loans they do.

Cliff

I don't get why, whenever RE prices go up in short sharp bursts(which is what they do historically) that they start calling "bubble" :confused:

Sydney for example had its last boom ending in 2003. Nothing much happened then until 2009. It has only been the last 8-9 months since the RBA dropped IRs in Dec 2012, that the market has really started moving significantly again.

My personal view is that the free market will sort it out without intervention.

If they did cap LVRs at say 80% it would hurt:
1. FHBs
2. Very aggressive investors - although many investors who build large portfolios, do have conservative LVRs anyway.
3. MI companies - not that I have too much sympathy for them.

If the government had any sense, it would impose restrictions on the max LVR as it has several advantages:
  • Reduces cost of borrowings over the long term ie no LMI which is capitalised.
  • Reduces risk to purchaser (ie lower gearing)
  • Reduces negative gearing claims (advantageous to tax dept/overall govt budget)
  • Takes the speculator out of the market (lessening pressure on prices/bubbles)

On the other side:
  • Harder for FHB/financially disadvantaged to enter the market
  • Will impact on wider building/whitegoods/furniture/furnishings industries
  • More difficult to raise capital

(I don't advocate a restrictive approach to apply to solely property but to ANY investment be it property, shares, artwork, dung beetle futures etc).

This sort of regulation would affect most young people, especially the first home buyers, but it would also affect a substantial number of younger property investors.

It's hard to put a figure on the proportion of loans we write above 80%, but it is a substantial amount. Most of these would be around 90%.

Quite a few people I speak to are wanting to build an investment portfolio and they've got their own home with some equity plus some savings. They could often buy a single property at 80% but are aiming to purchase 2-3 fairly quickly which often requires them to stretch their resources further and work with 90% lends.

It's surprising how many don't want to pay LMI but concede that they have to in order to meet their goals.

Banks have existing overall prudential controls in place regulated by APRA, rather than being regulated on the individual loans they can write. I prefer this arrangement - it served us well through the GFC. If anything, APRA could ask them to bump up their reserves a bit and tinker with the existing system to introduce some more conservatism in the context of low IRs.

I see no pressing need to change the entire system. As others have mentioned, introducing individual loan limits has a lot of unintended consequences, particularly to FHBs. It makes no sense while you also have govts handing out taxpayers money to FHBs across Australia - get rid of that idea first if anything.

I did see some speculation about introducing a minimum servicing model as well, or a minimum IR that a Client has to service at rather than just a margin above the current IR. Did that idea get canned?

The overall problem is that low IRs create bubbles across the whole economy. The US economy right now only looks half reasonable because it is being kept artificially afloat with massive injections of hot air. We can see just how sensitive the whole circus is to even the idea that IRs could possibly move upwards from pretty much zero. If we try to hold down a bubble in real estate while keeping IRs low it will just mean the bubble gets created somewhere else - like shares for example.

If we try to hold down a bubble in real estate while keeping IRs low it will just mean the bubble gets created somewhere else - like shares for example.

Very valid point . If property was less attractive at the moment , I'd be shifting money into the share market and if you have increasing share prices based purely on speculation , that would create a potentially more volatile bubble in shares .

I wonder if the current speculation is an attempt to stop people over exposing them selves , however it could have the opposite effect by getting people to buy know while they can still get a high LVR .

Cliff

I think it'd create a big short term boom while everyone rushes to get their deals done before the cut off date of the legislation.

There'll always be things that change and therefore there'll always be ups and downs in markets to account for them. Cycles arent by accident.

It's actually one very effective measure to put off a bubble. Just look at Hong Kong and Singapore markets in the past 24 months (I look very closely at HK, probably as close as I look at Australia).

What it'll also mean however is that prices won't fall, so the Steve Keens and hobos holding out for a crash can forget it. Either save a massive deposit, bite the bullet and buy a house, or just resign to renting.

It'll also force the country's savings rate to go up and improve the country's balance sheet. A very good policy. I'd argue the government should cap it at 80% for first house buyers and 70% for investors.

As a young investor, I think 80%+ LVR is very risky behaviour if you're buying your own home to live. If you're buying an investment, it's just reckless behaviour and the govt certainly should clamp down on it if it had any brains - sure sometimes gambling pays off (like pokie machines), but many lost their fortunes in Australia in 1991, and many did in HK/Singapore/Taiwan in 1997, and many did in USA/Europe in 2009.

The overall problem is that low IRs create bubbles across the whole economy. The US economy right now only looks half reasonable because it is being kept artificially afloat with massive injections of hot air. We can see just how sensitive the whole circus is to even the idea that IRs could possibly move upwards from pretty much zero. If we try to hold down a bubble in real estate while keeping IRs low it will just mean the bubble gets created somewhere else - like shares for example.

That's not true. Look at HK again for example.

Low interest rates (2-3%), LVR caps (60%), punishing stamp duties if you sell quickly (up to 25%).

No bubble now, market is softening. Down around 10%.

That's not true. Look at HK again for example.

Low interest rates (2-3%), LVR caps (60%), punishing stamp duties if you sell quickly (up to 25%).

No bubble now, market is softening. Down around 10%.

So they hold down the property market with LVR caps and stamp duty, which proves my point that this is possible. In order to prove my claim is not true, you would have to demonstrate that the Hang Seng index is not in or heading into bubble territory, just like the Dow. We could argue about that until the cows come home but I think it's fair to say that those stock indices would be nowhere near their current levels if interest rates in those respective countries were at or around their long term average...

I think the policy is good. However, it shouldn't apply to first home buyer, but should apply to the rest of purchasers.

I do have some properties, but very worry about land tax increases if the house price is going too high.

Last edited:
Imposing LVR caps would lower house prices generally and be good long term for First home buyers, not so good for investors (But hey your yields will go up!)

It mainly would affect prices in First Home Buyer markets but its effects would be felt elsewhere too.

Imagine you a selling a home and you can only sell to those with a 20% deposit? your potential pool of buyers would shrink significantly and you would have to move your expectations downwards to sell. Hence lower prices

- As an investor you should oppose this, its bad for CG

- As a First Home Buyer should encourage it, it lowers your entry point

The better solution is to stop all future investment and home ownership in Australia by anyone who doesn't hold Australian permanent residency or citizenship [could perhaps be extended to New Zealanders also].

It's actually one very effective measure to put off a bubble. Just look at Hong Kong and Singapore markets in the past 24 months (I look very closely at HK, probably as close as I look at Australia).

What it'll also mean however is that prices won't fall, so the Steve Keens and hobos holding out for a crash can forget it. Either save a massive deposit, bite the bullet and buy a house, or just resign to renting.

It'll also force the country's savings rate to go up and improve the country's balance sheet. A very good policy. I'd argue the government should cap it at 80% for first house buyers and 70% for investors.

Yep. I'd rather have moderate and sustainable price growth than boom and bust. Yesterday's prediction by SQM that Sydney prices may go up 20% next year is not the good news that some may think. Sydney will fall on its face if it goes that high, that quick.

By restricting residential LVRs and keeping IRs super low you continue to stimulate business while avoiding an unhealthy run on house prices. Best of both worlds.

Current market conditions are near perfect: low IRs, moderate price growth, low vacancy and increasing yields. Let's make it last and not spoil it by showing too much exuberance.

So they hold down the property market with LVR caps and stamp duty, which proves my point that this is possible. In order to prove my claim is not true, you would have to demonstrate that the Hang Seng index is not in or heading into bubble territory, just like the Dow. We could argue about that until the cows come home but I think it's fair to say that those stock indices would be nowhere near their current levels if interest rates in those respective countries were at or around their long term average...

Not sure why you think the Hang Seng is heading into bubble.

I think shares in HK are overall still good value, as are many North American shares.

Yep. I'd rather have moderate and sustainable price growth than boom and bust. Yesterday's prediction by SQM that Sydney prices may go up 20% next year is not the good news that some may think. Sydney will fall on its face if it goes that high, that quick.

By restricting .

I didn't see that prediction . Can you link to it ?

20 % increase isn't that much when the market is moving strongly . I've seen it do that in each cycle I've been involved with , and I've seen it double in under 2 years in the late 80's .

I'm personally expecting ( and hoping ) it will do that . I've got a target of around 20 % and then we sell our current PPOR , and pay off the new one , weekender and some debt . Hopefully by next spring ... :)

Cliff

Back