What would you if...?

Hi everyone,

Just read the "Powerball $70mill" thread and thought of a question that comes up at work all the time.

What would you do if you won the whole $70,000,000 ?

How would you spend your time daily if you won it all? How would it change your lifestyle? Would you tell anyone? etc etc etc

Me...? Id probably travel to every country and city Ive always wanted to. I would start a business building race cars. I would help my family and close friends with their mortgage and I would stay at work for about a month and not tell anyone...

Ultimately I would set up a trust or something to ensure my family and generations to come can enjoy it also...

Id do a whole lot more but it would be boring to most.

I wouldn't tell anyone, incluiding my wife.

I'd buy a house in the city, pretend to go to work each day. But in reality spend it napping, watching TV, going to the Gym, Playing Playstation and day trading on the ASX.

I'd buy a house in the city, pretend to go to work each day. But in reality spend it napping, watching TV, going to the Gym, Playing Playstation and day trading on the ASX.

I think a lot in this site are already doing that,without the bell curve win on a power ball entry..

I would quit my job immediately & spend the next 18 months (till my son is due to start school) wandering the globe & figuring out where we should live (and probably end up on the northern beaches of Sydney).

I would have staff. I really detest cleaning / washing / cooking / gardening so I would hire someone/people to do all that.

Once J started school / we figured out where we would live I would start some kind of charitable organisation helping teenage Mums finish their education and get started in life.

I'd buy an awesome racing yacht, probably one design, though there aren't very many solid one design racing classes in Aus at the moment.

I'd do something to help the chronically mentally ill, though I'm not sure exactly what that would look like.

I'd fund some program/s to help boost education / awareness / maybe research into nutrition. I worry that generally as a society we're making ourselves sick & we need more focus on staying well, not medicating illnesses.

oh yes, invest in more property of course :)

Hmmm, that'll do for now.

I think a lot in this site are already doing that,without the bell curve win on a power ball entry..

Using my rental income to off-set me moving out to Bondi. Sun, surf and great views :rolleyes:

I guess I would do much the same, just on a bigger scale, probably purchase a lot of blue chip property in aus and abroad, and use the rental income to fund start ups, social-project and developments, under various trusts and shell companies of course.

Serendip I like your nutrition idea! Good one!

I would leave my current day job (which I like) for work that I love that I am doing on the side at the moment. Might buy a bigger house with bigger garden for the kids. Pay all my siblings mortgages etc. Travel first/business class only. Do some property development. Charitable contributions definitely, to charities that make sense to me. Oh it would be fun!

A checkout operator asked me this the other day (but at $30mil). He was shocked that I rambled out a response as most people he throws it at go um ah er blah gosh well ...

If $30mil?

$1mil each to RSPCA and Doctors without Boarders ( = $2mil)

$500,000 each to immediate family (kids and siblings = $4mil)

Buy enough commercial/rental properties to live very comfortably on the proceeds - and hire a team to manage ( = $20mil)

Splurge on house near the beach and travel ( = $4mil)

Thank you Mr Winnings

Last edited:
Go to the Cass and chuck it all on 27 Red. :D

But seriously;

Pay out all the debt I have, and give my mechanic workshop to my mechanic as a gift.

Then, buy a 40 odd foot cabin cruiser and berth it at Mt.Martha Cove, and buy myself a decent car.

Then, join my beloved "The National" Golf Club down our way. Probably join Sorrento, Flinders, Monnah Links and Portsea Golf Clubs - just because I friggin' can :D

Then, buy a cliff-top house on Pt.Nepean rd in Portsea - just because I friggin' can :D

Then, reinvest the remaining $60mill into a bit more property and a few TD's, etc,

And live off the interest.

Use some of the interest to fund a few programs for the truly needy in our Country.

It is a nearly incomprehensible amount of money - I think it would actually slightly stress me out thinking about what to do with it!

But that slight stress would be more than compensated by the sheer elation of it all.

It is fun to think about (most day dreaming and fantasising is), but I prefer to ground myself in reality so I've never actually considered what I would do with it.

I would buy an apartment in St Germain de Pres on the River Seine, another in New York, another in Rome near Piazza Navona, another near Venice, and another on a secluded island somewhere in the Pacific. I would have a private jet and full staff at all the properties. I would take my friends and family on holiday with me (and our two dogs). I would also give to women's charities and orphanages in under-developed countries, and to helping children who have been abused. Then re-invest the rest in property.

But I can imagine that the above would bring a whole new set of problems, so I am very happy with my lot in life.

I would rush home and shout to my wife "honey - I won lotto, quick start packing!" When she asked "should I pack for sun or should I pack for snow?" I would respond "I don't care, just get out!"

Seriously, though, I'd give away $20M to a variety of people and charities, then use the remaining $50M to pay off debt, buy a bunch more property, buy a bunch of shares, buy a bunch of cash investments and then figure out what the hell to do with the $2.5M coming in every year for the rest of my life.

The first thing I would do is to rip the *** out of my pants so it appeared I didn't have a quid, because if people thought you had $70 million they'd be all over you like flies at a BBQ!

When anyone throws that question at me, I always say.... we have all won the biggest lotto ever, we live in Australia:).....

Back