What's more important, the agent or the agency?

I have decided to sell a unit and now have to decide on which agent.

Do I go with the one that seems to have underquoted selling price, but seems experienced.

Or maybe the Gay Guy who used to be the Towns Hairdresser. The property is currently managed through this agency, but not that well.

Or the young girl who has only qualified this year and already at her second agency, which seems to be the agency that sells most property at the moment.

Definitely the agent.

We seem to buy regularly from well known agencies, from newly hired, inexperienced agents, at prices that are significantly below market. This is not obviously what you want , as a seller. ;) .....but as a buyer, we love it :)

It's hard to pick an agent. I had 4 turn up to my unit last year when I was selling. I went with the sleaziest, creepiest agent of the bunch (no joke - he was like a slick used car salesman). I went with him because I thought he would get a quick sale at a high price. He did. My gut told me not to go near him. Don't always listen to your gut.

as a vendor, quality of the agent is paramount. He/she isn't your friend they are your agent. If they can prove that they have the runs on the board go with them.

so what if xyz agency has 50,000,000 offices worldwide? more importantly does the agent allow others in the agency to show the property to their contacts?

100% the agent. Have your list of 20 questions ready and ask for personal references. BAs get asked all the time and I am always more than happy to share who I believe would do the best job for the vendor.

Always the agent. The more experienced the better.

I've always found the younger inexperienced ones aren't very good and will cost you more because of their inexperience.

We usually get family members to visit opens of potential Agents.
I've met some terrible ones.
We went to an open where the guy said 2 words to us, and we were the only people there.

Back