What's the best Trade to get into???

Best of luck with the test mate.
It is worth the effort for sure!
I think the general concensus here is a trade is a good thing to have.

Hi Tizzy,

What do those abbreviations mean?

They are parrot ryhmes for remembering mathematical formula and order of operations. Particularly handy for those that can't transpose an equation....

SOH / CAH / TOA

Sine = Opposite / Hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

BODMAS

Brackets / Orders / Division / Multiply / Add / Subtract

Flatlinerz...best of luck.

ciao

Nor

Mechanical vs Electrical?.....it's not all about the cash; there is a status that goes with the territory.

As one of my esteemed colleagues (dual trade Inst/Elec.) clearly points out on a daily basis:

"Fitters are just meat with eyes!"........Boilys & Sheetys aren't even listed on life's food chain.

Cheers,

Ian.

My boy has been doing his plumbing apprenticeship for 2 days now. I guess I'll get to learn some of the theoretical terms as time goes on. I hope plumbing terms are simpler than electrical, they sound confusing Norwester.

Though my son won't be doing any TAFE classes until March next year, so should have a bit of a feel for whats going on by then. Lots of government incentives available for apprenticeships which is nice. He met the apprenticeship lady today at work.

I got in!!....I did the test the first time failed...but re applied and got straight in VICTEC tafe start on monday....hope I can get apprenticeship soon

I started and finished as plant fitter LARGE MACH not the other, went through MBA and did carpentry and builders lic in a year, had heaps of hand s on though,
Usually gets pretty boring doing the same thing all the time,building allows me to create,the end result is most gratifying, and hopeing it will assist with my wealth building too.
theirs lots of q fied builders now but you also req heaps of equity for home owners warranty, to actually build for some one.

I know someone in gyprocking pulling in thousands per week.
Depends on what type of tradie you want to be..hard labour or not. My other half got an electrical apprenticeship with Energy Australia and 1st year wage is higher than most 4th year apprentices elsewhere, and it just goes up from there.

Peronalities to trades or proffessions

I left school at 15 and fortunately picked up a Electrical apprenticeship with Illawarra Electricity as a electrical fitter / mechanic/linesman back in 1975. I really think that you need to look at what sort of person you are before you get into a apprenticeship! I am a outdoors sort of person . So I really hated the locked in stuff of a workshop, but loved the outdoors enviroment when you are on the road. I am no Brain Wave but managed to get through Tech OK . I look back now at the really smart guys that were in my year and most of them have just survived.

I chased the money and managed to get into Emergency Service work which runs 24/7 and pays good wages . Is not dirty and exciting at times. Fires/electrocutions/accidents / cars into poles/ blackouts. Major 1st response stuff. So I guess I was really lucky. Luck did not hold out forever. I had Kidney Failure at 33 and was put on dialysis and ended up in a high pressure office Control Room Job. I had been investing in property since I was 18 so I had some back up knowledge and assets. Eventually i took up a redundancy offer. I was very apprehensive about going into just property but fortunately it has worked out OK.

Basically I think a trade is a great thing for a young person. But get them into property.

I still hold my electrical contractors license as a back up to a job. But have not worked in that field for years.

So get an apprenticeship, learn all you can , but keep mmoving on in all areas!

Gee Cee:)

I am a wall and ceiling fixer (gyprocker) it's generally good can be a bit dusty and cramped sometimes but there are always different jobs to do inside and outside. It's definately worth looking into and once your qualified you start getting some contract work, smash them and big $ are there for the taking
5K+ a week isn't unheard of.

Kris

This thread is interesting to me at the moment. Hubby (aged 34) has just left his work of 12 years as a commercial artist/signwriter to seek a carpentry trade. Looks like he found a builder who wants to put him on just this morning, so we are very excited. I am not so excited about the apprentices wages though, we may end up having to sell a house to get through the next few years. He made this choice after much renovation on our houses. He really enjoys the work and wants to get out of the office/factory environment.

Can anyone tell me what is actually involved in becoming a licensed builder following a carpentry apprenticeship?

Louise

This thread is interesting to me at the moment. Hubby (aged 34) has just left his work of 12 years as a commercial artist/signwriter to seek a carpentry trade. Looks like he found a builder who wants to put him on just this morning, so we are very excited. I am not so excited about the apprentices wages though, we may end up having to sell a house to get through the next few years. He made this choice after much renovation on our houses. He really enjoys the work and wants to get out of the office/factory environment.

Can anyone tell me what is actually involved in becoming a licensed builder following a carpentry apprenticeship?

Louise

Oh Louise, I feel so sorry for you. I help my partner with paperwork and his 3rd year apprentice earns :eek:. We do spoil him though. I will purchase him coffees when I bring my partner one and drinks/electrolytes in summer.
As for the builders license you need building experience. (Which for an unlimited license needs to extend beyond carpentry). At least 3 years, a very, very in depth application detailing many, many things. Ours fitted into one of those legal folders and was so thick. You will have to know all other areas in building, not just carpentry. You must have assets in order to get insurance to build for others.
Getting a builders license is not hard, for it to be an unlimited license, you have to really, really know your stuff.

Thanks for the feedback Minx. The builder is going to see how he works and decide on a rate of pay based on that rather than just settling for the award which should be a good thing. I guess this is one advantage of going directly to the builder rather than through an agency, where the wages are set at the award. I'd better pack him a good lunch.:D He is to start off doing a concrete tilt wall industrial building (no sawdust there) and will also be sent with another gang doing a house. A plus with this company is that they do a real variety of work and like their people to be multiskilled, hence choosing hubby ratehr than a school leaver in the first instance. Going back to being a little fish in a big pond is a scary prospect but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Louise

earluer this year I looked into doing an apprentiship, either carpentry or plumbing. Because I was 23 at the time I found many job adds I enquired told me I was to old and they only like young people so they can 'mould' them to how they want them to work. Tha fact I had finshed school, had a degree and stable work history did not go in my favour, instead I think they thought I was either crazy or pulling their leg. I wish I had only started looking when I was 16-18.

One friend who completed his plumbing apprentisship when he was 22 was earning 75K in his last year and got promoted to an estimating role in the office, he now earns over 100K, full priavte use company car, phone, fuel card...etc....Mind you he works long hours and is a really hard worker.

Most people don't relise that the tradies who earn good money ofetn work 50-60 hours+, travel heaps and work in freezing/weather.

They deserve their high wage.

Not that I'm dumb or anything.....I just have big fingers which get in the way, I don't know why they don't make XL keyboards.;)

Back