What's wrong with Lithgow?

Can anyone help explain to me why Lithgow hasn't flourished the way it's mountain-village cousins on one side, or it's country-town cousins on the other, have?

I know it's not a big town, and doesn't have a lot of jobs, but equally many of the Blue Mountains villages aren't that big but have still managed to make themselves into lovely lifestyle destinations, e.g. Blackheath.

It's got plenty of lovely, old housing stock, and could be a really cute little village, but it just feels so poor and unloved.

What's the deal? Can anyone ever see things changing?

It's 40kms from Katoomba. I think it's just too far...Doesn't really have the same feel as any of the mountain suburbs either.

All your answers make sense, but for each of them I could give an example of another town to which the same argument applies that is doing much better. E.g.: 'too far from Katoomba' - but Oberon seems to be doing so much better than Lithgow; 'wrong side of the Great Divide' - but Orange and Bathurst are doing fine.

It's absolutely true that it doesn't have the same sense of feeling, but that's exactly what I'm wondering: why not? Why has every other town in the Blue Mountains/Central West managed to develop decent tourism, food, lifestyle attractions in the past 20 years, and Lithgow still feels like somewhere time forgot? Is it just a failure of the council/community? Or is there something else I'm missing?

..... Or is there something else I'm missing?

Ahem, well as an investor you are missing a few things.

CG in Lithgow has been 165% over the last 15 years. So it beat Bathurst, which only managed 150%, although Blackheath did better than both at 182%.

I fing Lithgow a bit too cold for me. But in terms of tourist attractions it has the Zig Zag railway, the Small Arms Factory, Wollemi Pines, close to the Jenolan Caves and all that good stuff.

Perhaps it is the Iron & Steel Industry hangover you are 'feeling'?

Ahem, well as an investor you are missing a few things.

CG in Lithgow has been 165% over the last 15 years. So it beat Bathurst, which only managed 150%, although Blackheath did better than both at 182%.

I fing Lithgow a bit too cold for me. But in terms of tourist attractions it has the Zig Zag railway, the Small Arms Factory, Wollemi Pines, close to the Jenolan Caves and all that good stuff.

Perhaps it is the Iron & Steel Industry hangover you are 'feeling'?

This too! I only had the 10 year figures printed in API, but on those I could see that it outperformed many of its neighbours. But it just feels so gloomy! I often stop there on the way to see my mum in Orange and it never feels any different. I hope one day something happens and it perks up. It could be a lovely little town.

Lithgow should be the adventure capital of greater western sydney. Sadly no one wants to do it. Plenty of fire trails for 4wding or quad bikes & rockclimbing. If the community and council had the desire it could be great.

Take a drive down the main street. Every second shop has closed. Makes the town feel dead.
The second shopping centre hidden away in whoop whoop, was unneeded IMO, so businesses had to decide which area to be in.

That being said, I agree with an earlier poster, who said lower priced properties are worth a look.
I looked at one on 3 acres on the edge of town. Classic mountains weather-board place for 145k!!!
Unfortunately I was too late...

There are bargains there, as anywhere, but who knows what future cg will be like. Doesn't seem like much industry is setting up there. Of course, that will all change if/when the new expressway (bell's line) comes to town.

And also if there is a further move towards re-investigating shale oil and gas reserves with shale deposits.

I like most regional towns. But I dislike Lithgow. It just feels damp and decaying. It reminds me a fair bit of Merthyr Tydfill in Wales.

The Gaol brought in some unsavoury types. Changed the landscape somewhat.

I have always thought it is the people that make a town and I know or have known lots of lovely people from Lithgow.

I have had my IP for more than 10 years. Haven't had any problem getting decent tenants.

There are many worse towns for an IP than Lithgow. Still decent value, but like any other town pick your street wisely.

My 2c

Sunshine

Lithgow has had a long history of local councillors and state members looking after their own interests rather than the towns and what you get is what they created.

There is really nothing in Lithgow that warrants any investment.

If anyone is considering Lithgow - some developments underway.

http://www.lithgowmercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/lithgows-building-boom/2539418.aspx

I purchased my IP in 1995 for $89k. Rent was $120 pw. (I think)
Recent bank value $300k. Currently rents for $350pw.
Longest vacancy - 2 weeks.

I am sure there is someone on here with better and maybe worse figures for holding so long. This was my 'learner' and helped build my portfolio. Can't say I am unhappy with its performance.

Sunshine

Can anyone help explain to me why Lithgow hasn't flourished the way it's mountain-village cousins on one side, or it's country-town cousins on the other, have?

I know it's not a big town, and doesn't have a lot of jobs, but equally many of the Blue Mountains villages aren't that big but have still managed to make themselves into lovely lifestyle destinations, e.g. Blackheath.

It's got plenty of lovely, old housing stock, and could be a really cute little village, but it just feels so poor and unloved.

What's the deal? Can anyone ever see things changing?

no good food, no food after dark

Just arrived back from a lovely long weekend in Lithgow area, and couldn't disagree more with the last poster (2 years ago, I know; so aot could have changed). The food sas great!!

Now I have never been to Lithgow before this weekend, but the dining options impressed me more than I'd expected (despite some of them closing for Easter Sunday). Ate in a couple of restaurants that would rival Lithgow's Blue Mountains cousins, actually! Also, took a couple of hikes around the mountains of the town and the view was great.

I did get a sense of the industrial past, but the air couldn't have been cleaner and fresher in my lungs, and the buildings were (mostly) meticulously cared for by the locals.

I don't doubt though that the economic drivers may not be there from an investment standpoint, but I didn't get any uncomfortable vibes at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I do concede that the town has so much opportunity to re-invent itself, and the locals' sentiments/regards appear to echo other SS people who have posted about the local council being lazy/self-interested and aren't keen on progress.

Investment-wise, I'll dig a little deeper as it could offer some prospects for those seeking great cash-flow (albeit it with muted/'in line incrementally with inflation' capital growth). CG would be incredibly flat or slightly mild IMHO.

Back