When to Sell Sydney

Hi All,

Contrary to all the buying questions...I am grappling with the decision as to when to put my Sydney(Quakers Hills) properties for sale.

I have experienced good growth in these properties. Expected sale price should be region of 400-420K with current rental of 400p.w...

The sale will allow me to realise some capital gains and move onto better investment opportunities as and when i decide to move further.

Basically i definately want to sell these in next 3 years and am just trying to time it appropriately in this time period specifically. ::)

Given how hot that market is, you will probably have them under offer the same day at or above asking price.

So now isnt a bad time

Yes, my personal circumstances are such that i will need to sell my portfolio in 3 years time anyways.

Will be moving to overseas for good and dont want to be doing prop management from there...

Why not sell one now and the rest in the next financial year. All 3 at once could mean a big hit in CGT.

Areas in Sydney are moving at different rates. I'm not up on Quakers Hill.
I'm waiting to sell one of mine which is closer to the city as it started moving a bit later than Blacktown and Mt Druitt (for example). It still has some growth in it (I believe).

Where are you thinking you'll get more bang for your dollar?

Yes, thats a good plan to sell one at a time...Thats is what i am thinking now. Put one on market in Feb 2014 followed up by Spring 2014.

Hi Traveller

Don't forget to contact BAs if you wish to sell privately. Happy to hear from you - just email me via our website in case we have a buyer match.
Yes QH market very strong right now and we believe more cg is on the cards but it's a personal decision that only you can make.
Best of luck.

Moving overseas

Yes, my personal circumstances are such that i will need to sell my portfolio in 3 years time anyways.

Will be moving to overseas for good and dont want to be doing prop management from there...

Hiya

Can you share a little more of your overseas plan? Are you retiring overseas?:D

Not being nosy but i can see hubby and i heading this way too:p

holding property overseas

I've been living overseas for 8 years and no problem holding good properties in Sydney with good property manager. Whether your one hour drive away or 24 hr flight away makes no difference when all issues can be resolved by email/phone.

For properties out in the sticks I would say best time to sell is now otherwise you may be waiting 10 years for the next growth spurt. Blue chip sydney areas just keep doing their thing year after year and these cases just hold on as long as you can.

Hiya

Can you share a little more of your overseas plan? Are you retiring overseas?:D

Not being nosy but i can see hubby and i heading this way too:p

Yes Virgo. Thats the plan...However more because i have family there so in a way its moving back...I may also do some property developments there...

Oscar - I dont want to be taking the headache of property management + i Do think i will be able to get similar returns using alternative investments like Managed Funds+ Shares etc.

However the main point of my post was to discuss is whether Sydney has peaked in short term(3 to 5 years horizon).

Basic townhouses in subrubs like Quakers Hills are going for 420K to 450K. Baulkham Hills etc are much much higher....

Back