When will OZ residential property prices reach its next peak?

When will OZ residential property prices reach its next peak?

Votes: 5 5.4%

Votes: 11 12.0%

Votes: 22 23.9%

Votes: 14 15.2%

Votes: 9 9.8%

Votes: 9 9.8%

Votes: 4 4.3%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 4 4.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >2020

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about in January 2010 when the FHOG drops to $7k for any purchase and it is far harder to come up with a deposit?

Tim

You gotta live some where...............so if you can't buy you gotta rent, whats the downside for investors? Either property prices going up or more renters!
For me anyway, 6 of 1, half dozen of the other!

Big Tone

The FHOG is very important however to keep prices moving up, because there always needs to be new buyers entering the market. If they need to wait too long to get into the market, then the market itself can stagnate while wages catch up with prices.

Tim

Debatable. I'd say whilst it may bring some purchase times forwards - with or without a FHOG, new home buyers will still be entering the market at a similar pace.

Take a $300k house and assume the banks require a 10% deposit now (probably not even that much, but you get the idea).

$30k needed, using the $14k FHOG+Boost get's you half way there. You still need $16k of your own savings.

Boost goes you need $23k of your own money. Yes it may delay a couples first house purchase, but they're still going to buy - perhaps now just 6 months later. People who want to buy a house in the near future will be saving for it, the grant may just bring forward their purchase by a quarter or two.

Same goes if you remove the original $7k FHOG entirely.

I believe people give way more credit than is due to the FHOG. Whether it's there or not, there will still be thousands of people every year buying their first house - same way there was before the grant existed. Same way there would be if the grant was killed completely next month.

Back