Where and what in Melb for $400k?

You could probably get an apartment in North Melb, Flemington, Kensington area for that sort of money.. those areas are booming and only 5 mins from CBD..

I must agree with exstatic in that an appartment in North Melbourne,Kensington or Flemington will show great growth in the coming years, especially given that these suburbs are so close to the CBD.

The recent edition of the Investment Property Magazine also highlights this area for good growth, especially North Melbourne given that it is so undervalued when compared to other inner city locations within the same radius to the CBD.

Good luck

Hey guys,

Want to purchase an ip for the $400k, thinking an apartment in the preston area at this stage?

Any other ideas?

i would go southbank, south yarra, or south melbourne. good rental returns therefore not much outlays.

It might be different if you need negative gearing.

You could also consider new home and land 20k - 30k from CBD in West.
You can get full turnkey packages from $330k with decent rental returns ... and you only pay stamp duty on land and get excellent depreciation / building write-off ... and generally no apartment type body corporate fees

Melb builders take 14 or so weeks from start to finish so as long as land is titled it is pretty fast and minimal holding costs during construction

Just another option worth considering

Casper, what areas would you recommend for new properties/developments a bit closer to the CBD i.e. 10-15km? Happy to up the price bracket to around $500k.

I must agree with exstatic in that an appartment in North Melbourne,Kensington or Flemington will show great growth in the coming years, especially given that these suburbs are so close to the CBD.

The recent edition of the Investment Property Magazine also highlights this area for good growth, especially North Melbourne given that it is so undervalued when compared to other inner city locations within the same radius to the CBD.

Good luck

"I would never buy in North Melbourne"

Sorry just quoting an expert in the industry.

Hey guys,

Want to purchase an ip for the $400k, thinking an apartment in the preston area at this stage?

Any other ideas?

I wouldn't personally buy an apartment in Preston (I would consider buying a house with decent land though). Obviously it comes down to affordability, but you really (and I stress really) need to know what is suitable for a particular suburb. I would only buy apartments/flats in blue chip suburbs (i.e. South Yarra, St Kilda, Elwood) or inner city (which is blue chip anyway) like Fitzroy North, Richmond, North Melbourne, Carlton etc. where the price jump from apartment to house is ten-fold.

Sticking to the $400k budget, and the apartment/flat property type, I would recommend North Melbourne and Fitzroy North. Who cares if it is run-down...it doesn't cost that much to do up an apartment/flat anyway!

Its funny how some threads get multiple comments despite the average question and despite the fact that the original poster has flown the koop. And yet others with thoughtful questions get no reply at all..

Casper, what areas would you recommend for new properties/developments a bit closer to the CBD i.e. 10-15km? Happy to up the price bracket to around $500k.

Pt Cook would set you back around $400k ... otherwise I believe there is land in Sunshine ... My question is why spend $500k for one when you can get two for $660k on estates with over 12% growth last year and average 9% past 10years?

Back