Where Bunnings builds, I buy.

Hi All,

Now, not just Bunnings but any large retail outlets. These places would spend lots of $$$$$ researching areas to build and when they choose a site, it is because it is a "growth" area.

So why not invest in these areas??? (Of course you do you own research but it is a good starting point.)

Is their such a thing as "insider trading" in property, like in the share market?

Any thoughts welcome.

GG

well u see to be correct. There is a bunnings a few KM where I live, about 3-4 years ago the place was just FOREST. They moved in, the land would of been so cheap.... Now 3-4 years later the forest is completely covered with houses.. there is probably over 500 houses built in that area where just 2-3 years ago there was nothing!

My old man used to say the same thing about country towns when MacDonalds hit them.

He bought in Ballina years ago and was so excited when Maccas came in with two outlets!

Hi Rolf

Harvey Norman just built recently in Peppermint Grove... should we go for it? :p

-Regards

Dave

Sunshine (suburb in Western region of Melbourne) has two major shopping centres- Market Square and the Plaza. Plus there is Bunnings, Myer MegaMart, Myer Good Buy Warehouse, Guests Furniture....and now they are turning the West End market into Direct Factory Outlets, similar to the one in Cheltenham next to Moorabbin airport.

Would you buy in Sunshine for this reason?

Well I don't know. Bunnings built a big store on Parafield Airport here in Adelaide and around it is runways and factories! Maybe they have word the airport is going to be developed for housing!!

:p The Fester

Bulky goods retailers like Bunnings and other "homemaker" type retailers may wish to set up in emerging areas because (a) the land is cheaper relative to more established areas and (b) newer areas may see a greater percentage of ppl building. Therefore part of your dd should be to determine how the supply of land will effect your capital growth.

It is certainly an indicator for an area, but should not be taken out of context.

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko
Hi All,

Now, not just Bunnings but any large retail outlets. These places would spend lots of $$$$$ researching areas to build and when they choose a site, it is because it is a "growth" area.

So why not invest in these areas??? (Of course you do you own research but it is a good starting point.)

Is their such a thing as "insider trading" in property, like in the share market?

Any thoughts welcome.

GG

I live in an area where Bunnings are coming into. We are definately a growth area. My PPOL registered valuation has gone up $30k in 4 months.

Everyone's gone nuts over here anyway. All of a sudden everyone wants to be an investor. I can't even get a good deal here now, and it's my home town!! Really brasses me off, the "investors" from the city are pushing the prices up to stupid amounts because they can't afford to buy there.

Anyway I reckon there is such a thing as "insider trading" in property. Settle on a property in a small country town next week. Why. The airforce are transferring 1000 personnel to the airbase, which is five minutes away from where I've bought. And there's not enough accommodation.

Hey Queen Bee,

Same prob. with big city investor purchasing in my small home town. The amusing thing is that the town was in a construction boom and probably had 2000 construction workers looking for rentals up till a few months ago. This led to good returns and low vacancies.... now many investors who maybe havn't researched the area are purchasing at these figures and possibly finding vacancy rates higher then they anticipated.

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko
Hi All,

Any thoughts welcome.

GG

The company I work for have recently quoted for some of the work for new Bunnings stores at Maitland & Bankstown. Port Macquarie Bunnings is already underway.

I do the quotes ;)

Hope that's been some help.

Olly

Re: Re: Where Bunnings builds, I buy.

Originally posted by Olly
The company I work for have recently quoted for some of the work for new Bunnings stores at Maitland & Bankstown. Port Macquarie Bunnings is already underway.

I do the quotes ;)

Hope that's been some help.

Olly

I should have added that really any 'building' type company that does quotes, estimates or tenders (e.g. concretors, bricklayers, carpenters etc) would have 'inside info' so to speak, so if you know anyone who is in this type of position they may be able to help you.

Companies also subscribe to reports that list developments, what stage the work is at, contact details etc. Companies then approach them and ask can they quote on the job. These reports can be tailored for specific areas, types of work etc. Cordell are one company that produce these reports, but they are not cheap. Once again, if you can get your hands on them it's worth looking through to see what's going on where.

Having said that, a lot of developments don't go ahead for various reasons so just 'cos you see it listed and know it's being quoted for doesn't mean it's a dead set goer. It's a small percentage that don't go ahead but you should be aware of it all the same.

Cheers
Olly

Olly,
I have to agree with you there, as I know of an electrician that has told me this before, as his company does work on a lot of the new estates around Melbourne (might have to speak to him about this!).
Also, get in touch with planning officers, I've been in touch with a few and some of them can be extremely helpful. The planning officer from Wyndham Council (Melbourne's west, around Werribee etc...) is fantastic.

Follow the Wog's, I can say that, I married one.

Olly,
I have to agree with you there, as I know of an electrician that has told me this before, as his company does work on a lot of the new estates around Melbourne (might have to speak to him about this!).
Also, get in touch with planning officers, I've been in touch with a few and some of them can be extremely helpful. The planning officer from Wyndham Council (Melbourne's west, around Werribee etc...) is fantastic.

My trick is to follow the Italians/Greeks, Maltese. They are selling and moving out from the suburbs that have boomed, so just buy where they are buying, they know, it works.

I got excited when I saw Simon had posted, I hadnt seen his name for weeks. Then I saw this was an old thread and it was a 2003 post of his. Anyone seen Simon lately? He was a gem!

According to Hills Council Costco Wholesale and Ikea are planning to build stores at Rousehill (land at the back of mean fiddler)..

i heard about Maccas and Woolies are a good indicator for population growth leading to capital growth. i have seen Hungry jacks and KFC closing shops but not Maccas. A friend did a degree in marketing mentioned years ago, Maccas is not only into the fast food business, they are also in the RE game. Before someone purchases a franchise with Maccas, their location must be approved by the upper management (whoever they are). :)

My wife and I love shopping in Ikea. The problem going there in Perth is the traffic it delays. I really hate the wait from the freeway to the road entry of Ikea. How are the Innaloo properties doing since Ikea was there? anyone did research on that?

my 2 cts
rdgs
sam

Back