Where can I find details on age/cost of extension?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Tax' started by Beelzebub, 7th Jun, 2015.

1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Member

Hi guys

I have recently purchased my first IP which has had a previous extension. My understanding is that as the extension is less than 40 years old I can depreciate the cost of the extension?

My question is: Do I need to find out the details of this extension in order for a quantity surveyor to add it to the schedule? If so, where can I find this info?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
    Beelzebub

2. D.T.

D.T. Property Lookerafterer

Media:
    You'll need to have a QS go out to do the depreciation report either way.

For anything that's unknown, they know how to work it out and/or estimate it in a legal manner.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates ...and people wonder why?

Media:
    Fully lucky might be across this.

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Member

So the quantity surveyor can make reasonable guesses as to the age and cost of reno? :)

5. depreciator

depreciator Member

If it's a decent sized extension, the council may have records of a building application.
    It's going to need to have been built after September 1987 for you to be able to claim anything on the building works.

Scott

6. DaveM

DaveM KFC Buyers Agent

Council is first stop.. but just say "oh hi i am thinking about buying xyz and was wondering what a building approvals are on record". Dont let on about the extension, some councils love to hear about unapproved extensions then turn up to request it be made approved.

Otherwise sometimes materials are stamped with manufacture date (pvc piping is a good one to look for). Or you can generally tell from the materials used and in particular the colour of materials (brown, silver, white aluminium channel window frames).

7. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Member

Thanks for the help guys; two rooms were added to the house, I'd take a guess and say sometime in the 90s, but I have no idea.

I guess first stop will be general enquiry with council. Will let you know how it goes.

8. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Member

That's not exactly how it works. New capital works depreciate for 40 years if they were constructed after 1987. A 40 year old building (i.e., built in 1975) has no depreciation on its original construction.

That's exactly what we do and why you need us!

I wouldn't bother with the council. If it's a recent purchase then you'll need a depreciation schedule anyway. If the provider finds out that the extensions are claimable as capital works on top of your existing claim then all the better.

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Member

10. Koste

Koste Member

Hi

Your Quantity Surveyor should do the research for you and establish the build date from either the site visit or council records. On older properties the chances are that the property has had some improvements made over the years which should be included in your Tax Depreciation Schedule.

Mark