Where to advertise?

For the first time I am going to have to find a new tenant for a unit I manage privately.

Where's the best place to advertise in Brisbane? Is there a good website to use, or just the good ol' newspaper?

Thanks.

We self manage and use Gumtree.com.au and rentfind.com.au. Both sides were recommended to me on this forum and both sites are good, but we always advertise in the Saturday Courier Mail.

We also have one agent who we give the property to and she has found us a tenant in exchange for a week's rent.

One thing we might look into is to find an agent who is prepared to list the place on re.com in exchange for a fee and refer any queries to us.

Great advice

May be a bias comment considering that I am an agent but the majority of the enquiry that I get for properties flows through realestate.com. Problem is for private landlords is that it is an agent only access site for advertising. So maybe look at Let Only situations with an agent. Normally they will sting you a let fee of 1 weeks rent plus GST to advertise and find someone suitable for you but it may be worth it. :)

Bad experience with Gumtree - be careful

I am at the coast using an iPhone so will be brief. We have removed our listing from Gumtree after having our info used by Nigerian scammers. Have been told by police not to use Gumtree. I plan not to use them again. Three people so far scammed or affected. So disappointing. Re.com really needs to wake up to the fact that private landlords will add money to their pockets and let us list with them.

I am under the impression that realestate.com.au is largely owned by a major national real estate agent group, so no way are they going to remove the "agents only" policy.
Marg

I self manage and use an RE to run a list only ad on Realestate.com.
The details get passed on to me and I run with them from there.
Not many agents will do list only, but you only need one that does and you're set like a jelly.

Domain allow private landlords to advertise on their site but they are fairly expensive.

Wylie, How do the scammers get money out of you?

They picked up our details, made their own listing with a random photo and apparently told applicants to send money Western Union to Laos. Three lots of people contacted me to check things and one man sent $500. We pulled the listing and will not use Gumtree again. Mum called the local police who said this scam is rife and were not really much help but suggested she call ACCC. She did that and as soon as she mentioned Gumtree they advised her not to use the site. The chap who sent money was told be a Rev. Someone to send a holding deposit until he got back to Australia. We find it hard to believe anyone has not heard of Nigerian scams and western union payments but plenty of people still falling for it.

We have asked Gumtree's help in trying to find any other listings using our info and they have been great so far but who knows how many other listings these scam artists have set up.

Back