Where to buy in QLD ???

Hi All,

Where would be a good place to buy an IP ($300k or under) in QLD ?
I've heard that areas in between the Brisband & Goldcoast corridor have good potential for capital growth. Any suggestions from the locals ?

Hi All,

Where would be a good place to buy an IP ($300k or under) in QLD ?
I've heard that areas in between the Brisband & Goldcoast corridor have good potential for capital growth. Any suggestions from the locals ?

Hi Lavender,

Although I am not a local I have bought land and build a house at Gleneagle within the Country Club Estate which is about 3-5 minutes from Beaudesert in QLD. I am currently getting rent of $340. All up it cost me under 300k to buy the land and build the house back in 2006 (House was completed in Jan 07).

I would definetely recommend anyone to check out this area.

Regards,

Raja

thank you Raja, i'll do some research on Gleneagle. since you've bought here do you know of any special features (such as close to water, high population growth, good job prospects etc...) or current/proposed infrastructure projects in this area that would make it a likely place to have good capital growth in the next few years ?

i've thought about ipswich and mackay but since ipswich has had good growth over recent years properties in this area are getting expensive.

Bowen

Mackay is to over priced , Bowen is very worth considering, and the talk in Proserpine Shale Oil is increasing. The Greens are getting serious about it , but lack knowledge of the process and currently creating scare tactics on locals.

An interesting read:

Is Bowen QLD The Next Hot Spot?

thank you Raja, i'll do some research on Gleneagle. since you've bought here do you know of any special features (such as close to water, high population growth, good job prospects etc...) or current/proposed infrastructure projects in this area that would make it a likely place to have good capital growth in the next few years ?

The town of Beaudesert and other surrounding suburbs have already seen good capital growth and population increase over the last few years. New businesses also appear to be coming into this area and I believe Woolworths also opened a supermarket here last year.

Specifically you can see further information on what infrastructure projects are planed for this area in the South East Queensland Infrastructure Plan and Program 2008-2026 (http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/regional-...eensland-infrastructure-plan-and-program.html)

Hope this helps

Regards,

Raja

I would recommend Redcliffe area. It's very easily accessible to the Brisbane CBD. It has money been invested into projects and it is a lifestyle suburb with protected beaches. And on top of that it is still affordable. Prices have been increasing but you may still be able to get a house under 300K in the area.

Check it out.

Cheers,
Roopam

I would also recommend Redcliffe. Close to CBD.

Jo and Roopam

Sorry, but I have to disagree that Redcliffe is close to the CBD - it's over 25 km 'as the crow flies' to the GPO, and even longer by road. The Hornibrook Bridge will continue to be a problem until the duplication is complete - and as for using the Gateway Arterial to get to the city, it's an absolute nightmare, particularly at peak hours!

'Close to the CBD' in Brisbane is usually up to 5 km from the city (maybe 8 km at a stretch!).

That said, don't let this put anyone off investing in Redcliffe ... just do the usual DD.

Cheers
LynnH

Noting the price range of $300k is a bit of a 'limiter' when it comes to Brissie.

Re Redcliffe... as compared to brisbane... agree with Lynn to some extent.... its not the end of the earth but you can see it from there
:)

Last edited:
Jo and Roopam

Sorry, but I have to disagree that Redcliffe is close to the CBD - it's over 25 km 'as the crow flies' to the GPO, and even longer by road. The Hornibrook Bridge will continue to be a problem until the duplication is complete - and as for using the Gateway Arterial to get to the city, it's an absolute nightmare, particularly at peak hours!

'Close to the CBD' in Brisbane is usually up to 5 km from the city (maybe 8 km at a stretch!).

That said, don't let this put anyone off investing in Redcliffe ... just do the usual DD.

Cheers
LynnH

Hi Lynn,

In Sydney terms, 25km is nothing. Especially to get to a beach. I look at the Redcliffe Peninsula in comparison to The Central Coast 15 years ago. An awful lot of people also said the coast was too far to commute but now they willingly travel the 75km's for the lifestyle.

As an investor, we buy BEFORE the boom, not when the Hornibrook is finished and people realise how close it really is!

I know the traffic is unbearable in peak hour, but off peak it only takes 20- 25 mins to Brisbane airport.

I know it's not 5k's but for an affordable investment property, the area has alot going for it. You will not find anything THAT close to the CBD, with water views . . . for the price. I guess we all have our own interpretations/views.

It has also had two write ups in Property Investor mag in the past 6 months, most recently this months July issue.

regards Jo

Hi Jo

Please don't get me wrong - I have nothing at all against Redcliffe (am nosing around there myself at the moment! ;) ). It has certainly changed a lot over the years (it used to be called Deadcliffe by the locals), and it definitely offers affordable property close to the water - something you won't find elsewhere in the greater Brisbane area (in our suburb, waterfront properties are all over the $1M mark.)

We used to live in Sydney - and, yes, 25km is nothing there! Funny thing was when we moved to the Southern Highlands, it used to take hubby the same time to get to Mascot as it did when we were living in North Rocks!!! But Brisbanites are a funny bunch - when I tell people that we live in the Redlands (20 km east of the city), they reckon we're 'out in the sticks'!

Cheers
Lynn

Hi Lynn,

No, don't worry, we are all here for support, opinions, advice, learning......I know what you're saying. We travelled the 75k's to Hornsby in the same time, as we did the 25 odd k's from the city, when we moved to the coast.

Have fun researching. Huh so you're a North Rocks Girl? I used to live at Rydalmere. North Rocks was a much nicer area! Do you know if it still is? What's a house worth in North Rocks these days?

Regards Jo:)

when I tell people that we live in the Redlands (20 km east of the city), they reckon we're 'out in the sticks'!
I reckon that opinion will change in time as Brissie expands due to natural growth.

Also love the Redlands.

Regards
Marty

Huh so you're a North Rocks Girl? I used to live at Rydalmere. North Rocks was a much nicer area! Do you know if it still is? What's a house worth in North Rocks these days?

No, Jo, a Queenslander born and bred! We lived at North Rocks in the last half of 1987 after hubby changed jobs, then built our 'dream home' in the Southern Highlands. You're right, North Rocks was lovely - we rented a house owned by one of hubby's colleagues, a 3-level house in Larra St which had a gorgeous bush outlook. I've got no idea what a house is worth there these days, but back in 1987 they were twice the cost of a house a similar distance from Melbourne. How times change!

I reckon that opinion will change in time as Brissie expands due to natural growth. Also love the Redlands.

Ssshhhh, Marty - don't let everyone into the secret!!! I've noticed a lot of changes since we returned here 13 years ago - prices have certainly leapt skywards and there are almost no houses for sale in the sub-$400K bracket. Hopefully, now that our new 'anti-developer' council has been elected, some common sense will prevail so that much of what makes the Redlands so liveable is retained.

Cheers
LynnH

LynnH,
Do many people commute from the Redlands into the cbd for work? That would take a long time... the proposed busway going out to Cleveland should improve the journey time though.

vbplease

Lots of people commute from the Redlands to the city - and a lot of people commute to the Gold Coast as well.

The coastal suburbs (Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Birkdale, Thorneside) have easy access to the train line - about 40 mins to the city from Thorneside if you get the 'stopping all stations' train and 25 mins for the express train. The train line only goes as far as Cleveland, so all the other suburbs have to rely on bus transport - at the moment, that involves longer commuting (either bus to the stations or to Carindale, thence on to the city, although there are some direct bus routes from Capalaba to the city). The busway is only going as far as Capalaba, but won't be built for many years yet - and, yes, it should improve commuting times when/if it is eventually built. I haven't heard of any plans to extend the busway to Cleveland, and can't see why the government would do so, given that Cleveland has the train.

Cheers
LynnH

Back