Where to buy in QLD ???

Hi Lynnh,

Yeah the busway out to Capalabah is the one i was thinking about.. not sure why i thought it went to Cleveland.

When I look at the transinfo webpage for train times it tells me that -
Thorneside - Central (express) about 45mins
Thorneside - Central (all stations) about 50mins. I should get some proper timitables at the station.

I agree Redlands would be a great area to live.
Wymun/Manly another good spot with the parks/cafes/restaurants on the waterfront. A friend is looking at a place at Wynum - renovator around 350k.

This has become a Brisbane thread...so to break the mould here are some other considerations:

The fringe suburbs of Townsville can be had for ~300K.
In Ingham (near where I live) you can still enter the market sub $200K.
Gatton corridor is alright...
Toowoomba has SOME cheapies and is a great regional city.
The Atherton Tablelands has to be one of the most beautiful areas and the small "cottage" style towns are great if you're into that sort of thing.
Stanthorpe/Warwick corridor is QLD's hidden development spot...watch this space in the next 20 years.

The state is a big state..lots of towns, lots of well developed communities with all the conveniences.

Look around and see what you can find...

When I look at the transinfo webpage for train times it tells me that -
Thorneside - Central (express) about 45mins
Thorneside - Central (all stations) about 50mins. I should get some proper timitables at the station.

Geez, vb, the QR service certainly has gone downhill since my girls were using trains regularly! :eek:

Back to the thread .....

Cheers
Lynn

Plenty of opportunities around the Ipswich area! Still many properties for less than $300k!!

Destrier

Hi Destrier,

How is Ipswich going? I researched it two years ago. . .. I don't regret buying in Beenleigh because it has done just as well....but what are 3br's in Ipswich now?

Jo

I commuted by train from Ormiston to the CBD. I can work some pretty strange hours and at times it would take me 2 hours to get home (ie train runs once an hour and you miss it). I think the Cleveland end is a bit too far out but there are some very nice suburbs along the way.

Hi LynnH, I get what you are saying. But let me tell you this. Do you know of an beachside area in NSW where you can get a property for less than 600-700Ks?
And there you have Redcliffe which is part of the fastest growing capital city in Australia and a fantastic beachside family suburb. And you can still get property around 300ks there. I think we Aussies have an obsession with water and Redcliffe is just waiting to explode.

Cheers,
Roopam

It's hard to go past places like Bowen which recorded great growth and improving.
With the said to be done deal on the Chalco $2.2 billion refinery.
Mayor Brunker is talking about releasing more land as the place is set to Boom even more.
The resources boom means more and more people are working in the mining industry and being paid handsomely for it, so many are investing in property.

Is Bowen QLD The Next Hot Spot?

Greenpeace has now moved into the Whitsundays with plans to stop the proposed Shale Oil at Proserpine.
I doubt they will stop the shale oil mine going ahead if the mining company QER can meet the environmental guidelines

Will Proserpine Boom From Shale Oil?:confused:

They say that Ipswich is / will be to Brisbane what Parramatta is to Sydney. Parramatta house values are stagnating now. They may well pick in future but for now they aren't going anywhere.

Going by that, Ipswich has increased in value in recent years substantially. Though the neighbouring suburbs might have good bargains still, I believe the Ipswich growth may remain slow for some time before picking up again.

Beenleigh is another story though. I think there is more room for growth in Beenleight especially at current levels. I would put my money on solid stable growth for Beenleigh for a long time.

Cheers

They say that Ipswich is / will be to Brisbane what Parramatta is to Sydney. Parramatta house values are stagnating now. They may well pick in future but for now they aren't going anywhere.

Going by that, Ipswich has increased in value in recent years substantially. Though the neighbouring suburbs might have good bargains still, I believe the Ipswich growth may remain slow for some time before picking up again.

Beenleigh is another story though. I think there is more room for growth in Beenleight especially at current levels. I would put my money on solid stable growth for Beenleigh for a long time.

Cheers

That's music to my ears, Roopoom!:)

Regards Jo

Thats because Beenleigh is on the way to somewhere. Ipswich is not on the way to anywhere except the desert.
I wholehartedly agree Beenleigh is a pretty good investment. Anywhere in that corridor between Brisbane and the Gold Coast would be a pretty safe long term be imo.

Last edited:
How does Robina rate?

Hi

I'm looking at a 4bed townhouse in a smallish complex with pool etc for $285. Currently rents at $345. It's a private sale and there is one the same for sale by an agent for $349. So it apears to be a great price and from what I can tell by my research (new infrastructure, rental demands) it seems to stack up. But I'm trying to not make an excited, emotional purchase so I'm interested in opinions on the area etc.

Thanks
Stacey

Looks good to me. I prefer 2 bedders but with the kind of return you are getting, seems a good buy to me. Area is also not bad. All the best.

Where did you 'see' this drop please?
I still believe Beenleigh is a better long term investment than Ipswich.

Hi Jesse

Houses that were 310-320k 6 months ago are now 290-295k. Mine is in that price range and I have been speaking to R/E Agents about it.

Of course it is only relevant if you want to sell now.:D

Regards Jo

Hi

I'm looking at a 4bed townhouse in a smallish complex with pool etc for $285. Currently rents at $345. It's a private sale and there is one the same for sale by an agent for $349. So it apears to be a great price and from what I can tell by my research (new infrastructure, rental demands) it seems to stack up. But I'm trying to not make an excited, emotional purchase so I'm interested in opinions on the area etc.

Thanks
Stacey

Hi there Stacey,

I had an apartment in Varsity Lakes and did alot of research on both areas about four years ago. Robina is a great area with great infrastructure as you say. Just make sure you are paying for Robina ans not Stephens. Also check if it is rented to students, which alot of 3-4 bedders are. Know the market you are getting into so you can be prepared, with students come extras. Eg, phone lines, internet etc. :)

Regards Jo

Thanks guys,

The complex has half owners, 1/4 private rentals, 1/4 students. I've been talking with the manager and renting to international students can substantially increase the returns (even after taking in the extra cost). I would consider doing that, also because if I change my mind, there still seems to be a demand for private rentals.

Stacey

Crestmead, Marsden & surrounds

Had been along Browns Plains road into Marsden & Crestmead .... some decent oldish houses on 600+ sqm blocks available in the high 200's .....

Seems like good value for money considering the proximity to transport etc ...

Any ideas from people who have bought / live there ?

Had been along Browns Plains road into Marsden & Crestmead .... some decent oldish houses on 600+ sqm blocks available in the high 200's .....

Seems like good value for money considering the proximity to transport etc ...

Any ideas from people who have bought / live there ?
I looked through Crestmead in early 2007 when I was looking for a PPOR, agreed about the decent houses on large chunks of land, value was pretty good at the time I thought.

My investing philosophy had me giving the area a cross however due to lack of rail, it seemed very much like an area where you would need to drive the car just to get a bottle of milk, I thought at the time these areas would be marked down compared to areas well serviced by alternate transport in an era of potential high energy costs. Ended up buying <200m from a train station as a result.

Back