Where to live in Melbourne?

I'm moving to Melbourne soon and looking for a place to rent. My criteria is as follows:
- no more than $550 pw, 2 bedrooms
- not a dog box (at least 90 sqm if possible)
- very good security including secure parking
- quiet, I work from home and sleep at odd times so this is important for me
- not too far out of the city, close to amenities

Anyone know what Docklands is like from a quietness perspective, I found this one which looks ok in the photos:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...eader=&c=64935237&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1198290953

I don't really want anything on the ground floor or not in a high security building as I have a lot of computer equipment.

Any suggestions appreciated, including specific buildings that might meet my criteria :)

Sorry Muppeteer, seems there is no good place to live in Melbourne ;) Best to stay in Brisie!

Actually, I had a contract for 3 years in Melbourne back in 1994 and move to South Yarra. Older houses but a really nice area close to Chapel St and Toorak Rds - cafe society, shops and public transport trams and buses. Anywhere around Prahran, East St Kilda is good also.

Make sure you have central heating - you'll need it!

Cheers,

Bazza

Mupps

Welcome to Melbourne. There are so many options here, why not come down and rent a short term furnished apartment and have a look around for a few weeks. I agree with the Williamstown option but you may prefer walking distance to the CBD.

Good luck with your move.

Chris

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've got a place to stay for a few weeks so I'm going to rent a car and drive around all the inner suburbs to narrow it down and go from there.

Bazza, as a former Tasmanian I'm not going to miss the Brissie humidity at all!

Back