Where to put $50,000?

park it against the ppor then for now to reduce your non deductible interest ... although when you do come to use those extra funds, and it is for deductible purposes, then you will want to employ a split loan or similar strategy described above, rather than straight redrawing the money back out of the PPOR offset .... (as the debt would still be non deductible if you did this)

Hi rexilla99,

How about buying a 2 bedroom flat in Port Adelaide?

Probably cashflow positive after paying a $40k deposit.

Something to chew on....

Glenn

I don't buy or sell any share without first consulting the latest edition of the Intelligent Investor.

The guys/girls who run the magazine are f@@@@@g geniuses. A flat fee of $495pa and returns to date of 33%.

Google Intelligent Investor and you can subscribe to a trial period.

Best of Luck

PS They are not chartist share investors - just good old fashioned research into the companies they report on.

Interesting dilemma.

We have recently been investigating getting into shares and margin lending. Some may argue that putting it against your loan for a guarenteed 7.62% is a good safe bet.

We're contemplating a similar investment with a 100% margin lend giving us 100K to invest. We spoke to a portfolio manager who conservatively forcast 10%pa capital growth on that investment, plus dividends of about 4-5%, which go close to paying for the cost of the margin lend whose interest is tax deductible.

So assuming that 10% is a minimum, then you can do better than putting it against your homeloan.

Also in such a setup the interest on the margin loan is capitalised, so your dividends can go towards your loans, or any non-deductible loans, while your capital is steadily growing at 10%pa. Sounds good in theory, the problem is guarenteeing returns, which is slightly mitigated by hiring a professional, who of course come with fees, alternative is to get yourself up to speed and buy and sell yourself.

Anyway, food for thought.

Cheers,
Gooram

$50K would buy ~200,000 BKP

With any luck could be $200K by the end of the week :)

Without any luck you might have to wait till after Xmas, or longer, to see if Santa has any surprises left!!!! :(

NB this post is for entertainment only. Please seek advice from your professional investment adviser prior to any investment.

Last edited:
I agree with Doug re. his assessment of The Intelligent Investor. My wife and I also subscribe. A lot of people and fund managers etc call themselves long term value investors but most are kidding themselves, but these guys are the real deal. Intelligent Investor messure their hold time in years! not weeks or months.

We have done really well following their stock picks. And at only $495/year its a lot cheaper than even an index managed fund (assuming your investing a decent sized portfolio of say 50k or more).

In a clear indication that they are independant (unlike stock broking houses!) and value stock pickers they currently have about 1/6 the amount of Buy recommendations as sell and hold recommendations. And they don't meaningless terms like Accumulate or Reduce! Just Strong Buy, Buy, Long Term Buy, Hold, Take Part Profits and Sell.

We also subscribe to the Rivkin Report which we have also done very well out of but more expensive at $799/year (however weekly reports as opposed to fortnightly for Intelligent Investor). They have more of a mixture of short, medium and long term investments but are still value investor based.

Cheers

Jase

I liked Invest4Profit....tried WiseOwl for a years or so and learnt a lot about Profit Stops, Stop Losses, Triggers etc

Does The Intelligent Investor come as a magazine or is it only available online?

Hi

Intelligent Investor comes both online and in magazine format via snail mail.

Every 2nd Wednesday (first thing in the morning always there when I check it around 6am or so) the online newsletter is posted on the website www.intelligentinvestor.com.au which you log into. You can even download aprintable copy if you wish, or otherwise just read online and receive a hard copy of the same newsletter in the post by about the following Monday or so.

Ocassionally they will also send email updates between newsletters when they need to update subscribers about something more urgently. (eg. recommended action to take re. say a rights issue or a takeover offer of one of their current holdings or something like that.)

We took up their free trial offer of 3 issues in March this year. We initially purchased 3 of their share recommendations from this free trial and are still holding those 3 companies. We are ahead about 55% on one, 30% on another and 15% on the 3rd.

We ending up subscribing in October this year and have since purchased another 5 of their recommendations being ahead on all except one which we are slightly down.

Cheers

Jase

Hi

Intelligent Investor comes both online and in magazine format via snail mail.

Every 2nd Wednesday (first thing in the morning always there when I check it around 6am or so) the online newsletter is posted on the website www.intelligentinvestor.com.au which you log into. You can even download aprintable copy if you wish, or otherwise just read online and receive a hard copy of the same newsletter in the post by about the following Monday or so.

Ocassionally they will also send email updates between newsletters when they need to update subscribers about something more urgently. (eg. recommended action to take re. say a rights issue or a takeover offer of one of their current holdings or something like that.)

We took up their free trial offer of 3 issues in March this year. We initially purchased 3 of their share recommendations from this free trial and are still holding those 3 companies. We are ahead about 55% on one, 30% on another and 15% on the 3rd.

We ending up subscribing in October this year and have since purchased another 5 of their recommendations being ahead on all except one which we are slightly down.

Cheers

Jase

Does anyone have any results from Intelligent Investor over a 1, 5, or 10 year (or longer) history? The share market has been booming for quite awhile, we've made 25% (capital growth) on our shares (10 companies in total) in the past 6 months by doing absolutely nothing. Some are up 300%, some 100%, some down 25%, 10% - once I stopped watching them, and researching like crazy - our growth increased dramatically!! Strange thing, but I swear, the day I stopped checking their price every hour - stopped reading advise from all the magazines, fund managers, etc, etc - and only checked our status once a week, the results have been unbelievable!

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen,

25% CG in 6 months is great! Well done. Even this market has done nothing like that. You guys have clearly outperformed it.

Back to your question the following outlines the results of the intelligent investor for a 4 year period. The results don't sound that impressive until you have a close look at the dates that the results relate to.

May 2001 (i.e deep within last bear market) - Sept 2005 (only 2.5 years into current bull market).

266 Recommendations - 21.7% annualised return.

All Ords Accumulation index over same period 11.5%.

Outperformance by 10.2%.

A full audited report of these results can be found on their website.

More specifically if you keep away from the speculative Buys that they recommend you would have done even better. Their 43 Speculative Buys only returned 11% annualised return.

Whereas the 134 Long Term Buys (their bread and butter recommendations) did 23.4%

And their 54 Buys (only given when stock is clearly undervalued with a margin of safety) did 28.2%

Since September 2005 their results (as you would expect in a bull market) are even better, but what's really impressive is that they make you a lot of money in any kind of market.

For instance remember when no one wanted Mac Bank in 2002. You could hardly give them away. These guys recommend them at about $20 (which turned out to be close to thier absolute bottom) and they are now around low to mid $70's. They have also had many other similar blue chip out of favour recs that they have done well out of.

They of course have had the odd bad rec and a couple of shockers (like any one else in the gae long enough) but their track record of recommendations that end up making money is very good. Somewhere around 90% or so.

They are patient and hold stocks still now that they recommended in 2001 or so.

Enough said. Check out their website and see what you think.

Jase

I have just subscribed to my first subscription service and it looks to be a mix of broad economics and the companies (both Oz and US) which can benefit from the trends they talk about.

Too early to endorse it yet, but cheaper.

Check it out:

http://www1.youreletters.com/t/457182/10218914/811980/270/

Don't ignore the free email letters though. I like Steve Sjuggerud's Daily Wealth. (That's free) His subscription service has had some good tips but is international. I recognised an Aussie miner he didn't name in a sales blurb a few months ago (ZFX, check out it's chart) and his timing was impecable.

Back