Where to start in IP,given these variables?

To all,
I have enjoyed your forum.
A few weeks ago I read Jan Somers book,More wealth From Real Estate,while holidaying in New Zealand.
I had earlier this year attended a 3 day seminar in my home town of Melbourne on IP's

As I have mentioned in my post yesterday,I am considering purchasing 2 investment properties in ChCh New Zealand.(2 x $250,000,wth 10% deposit each)
I have $200,000 equity in my PPOR.(Value $650,000-mortgage $450,000/mainly incurred through previous business loans over last 16 years).

Have had approved a $100,000 LOC.Aust. (Subject to valuation-financier supports my objective of investing in NZ)
Salaries are $70,000 me and $55,000,my wife.Teenage twins at modest private school.

I am looking for CG and happy to avoid Aus. stamp duty.Like to refinance after say 2 years and buy another 1.

One complication is that my wife would like to have another child or two(has just turned 40).I support her in this venture and she supports me in the property investing.:)
However in 1 year we could lose her salary.I anticipate that it might be difficult to refinance with the one salary.

That makes me wonder if it is worth starting PI at all,given that after a couple of years the LOC may really need a revaluation of properties to prevent the IP's absorbing all the LOC.

Do you think that I can do this,given this contingency.
Or would other investments be more suitable?

Your reflections would be most appreciated.

I would just DO IT. The CG on the IPs would soon overtake any loss from your wife's salary. You don't want to be in the situation of so may people who DIDN"T moaning in a few years time "I could have bought that property back in 07 for just $xxx, and look what it's worth now!"

Unless I have misread, you really only have $70k to play with (assuming you only go to 80% LVR on your PPOR)

PPOR: $650k
Mortgage : $450k
80% of $650k = $520k
$520k - $450k = $70k

I would probably only get one of those IP's at $250k and use a $20% deposit mainly because the loan on your PPOR is already very high - $450k.

If I was in your shoes I would probably hold off a bit, pay off some of the PPOR mortgage, have another child then do some more sums.

Hope this helps !

Based on the detail I would say go for one now. After you start a family you can then decide if you can afford another.

This is probably a conversation you should be having with her too.

Back