Where's my title then?

So I've had a long running saga with the CBA.

Latest installment - when we refinanced our smaller loan to Homestart in July I got a phonecall from the CBA saying a clear title for <the house we sold in 2010> had crossed their desk. I said we sold that ages ago. The woman hung up on me.

Our older bank statements pre-July say our larger loan was secured against <the house we sold in 2010> ... you know, because you should still have loans secured against houses the person paying the loan doesn't OWN :rolleyes:

Today I get a phone call from my conveyancer as settlement is coming up pretty soon, telling me we have no mortage and he needs the title to give the new owners, so who's got the title?

Hang on.

No mortgage you say? Ring up CBA. *snooty voice* No we have a mortgage on your new house. Go take it up with your new bank, they filled the form out wrong, get them to fill out a new discharge form *click*

Ring up new bank. New bank does title search. Nope, one mortgage from new bank on new house. No mortgage from any bank on old house. Title numbers are correct (street numbers and lot numbers are adjacent and one is ascending and one descending adjacent so easy enough to mix up), everything looks good from their end. New bank breathes sigh of relief.

So looks like CBA currently has a debt that while their computer says its secured, the lands and titles office says its *not* secured. Be interesting to see how this one pans out ...

it would be frightening the amount of unsecured loans the banks have that they have no idea they don't hold titles over.

the securities departments make so many mistakes it is barely believable.

one bank is so bad i would suggest it would run into the billions of dollars of unsecured "mortgages'

I had a LOC set up with CBA many years ago. I sold the property it was secured by and they forgot to discharge it. I kept it open for about 5 years at $150,000. I eventually paid it back when I left them completely as I didn't want the risk of them coming after me.

I remember that story Dazz :)

Got a call today from the CBA admitting they discharged both our titles instead of just one of them when we refinanced one loan out a couple of months ago. Told us that really, its still a loan for the house being sold so we can't wriggle out of our loan (duh) and are going to tell the conveyancer what to do since they don't need to discharge the mortgage since its already been done.

I think this would go slightly differently if we were refinancing with them not selling the house - they'd be scrambling to register a mortgage again :rolleyes:

Back