Which bank 4 Personal banking???

Hi Everyone, My family and I are moving to Brisbane very soon and I was just wondering which was the best bank to do my personal banking with? If you have found a bank that you are happy with please let me know.

Craig

Bendigo Bank by a million miles. I've been with them for about 14 years. Their fee system is standard, but they offer a rebate at the end of the month of $4 or something like that, so if you bank smart you'll not pay fees - I haven't paid any in years. They have a branch in the city and I believe they have opened a few community branches up around too.

Mark

Banks are only as good as the staff in them and their experience....

This is just me... but I prefer and deal with staff who've been in the bank for years and not the pimply faced kid fresh out of the bank hypnosis course on what clients need and dont realise it. Or the ones who get told you have to do "X" tag ons per customer per day.

Depends on where you are going to move to as one branch might be super flash and the next might be ordinary.

So where are you going to move to in Brisbane then you can maybe get some local opinion on things.

Never had a "good" bank

Moving to Nth Brisbane, not sure where yet. I guess a bank that does not charge the earth, friendly and resonable...Asking too much for a bank do you think?

probably not applicable to you but i use Victorian Teachers Credit Union.

They dont charge a monthly fee, allow up to 8 ATM transactions a month via commonwealth bank and unlimited electronic trans. have a savings account which is up there on the interest rate and it's all fine and dandy.

www.victeach.com.au

and you dont have to be a teacher to use them :)

Millsey

I'm an ex bankie from the northside (CBA). Could tell you about maybe 1-2 branches which are probably better to deal with w/low staff turnover and people who have been there for @10 years.

Wouldnt want to be construed as slanderous though as I have many fond memories of my time served there...

Personally I dont care about what fees a bank charge I dont whinge about application, package, accounts... its more a case of if the people that work there are fair, knowledgeable, or robots.

Bank of QLD if you want to develop a long term relationship with your bank manager. BOQ runs an 'owner operated' model. that is people buy the franchise and from my experience are ex bank managers from the big boys. I have my bank manager's mobile phone number, use them for several diff businesses. Have prev developed relationships with other bank managers but then they get transfered etc. this way they actually have to sell for you to lose them.

Hi RPI,
Good to hear you have a good BoQ relationship. I find the 'owner-operated' model to be a little dangerous.
I have been told that here in Cairns that the owner has ZERO banking experience, and sold his business as the figures showed he would make more money from the bank. Hence I have been told that staff are uneducated, hiring is so-so and all fees are charged (which have been reported in local paper to be exorbitant) and there is absolutely no way around this.

My experience has been that big banks are more likely to waive fees, as it isn't coming out of any of the staff's income - different for owner-operator...

That said, the more I think about it - the OP should open accounts with a few banks. NAB, CBA, WBC, ANZ, Suncorp, Bendigo, BoQ. Find out through trial and error who provides the best service. Try 2 or 3 at a time, then close the accounts if you aren't happy. Personally, I have had bad experiences with NAB and ANZ, but then I know people who think these 2 are great. All comes down to a bit of luck and shopping around.

Bendigo Bank by a million miles. I've been with them for about 14 years. Their fee system is standard, but they offer a rebate at the end of the month of $4 or something like that, so if you bank smart you'll not pay fees - I haven't paid any in years. They have a branch in the city and I believe they have opened a few community branches up around too.

Mark

If indeed the banks are as good as the staff, I agree Bendigo is great. I can't figure out what it is, but there never seems to be a queue and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Didn't blink and eyelid when asked to set up an account for a trust with corporate trustee, and just did it on the spot. No fees either (well there is but you get rebated as Mark explained) The branches are also decked out in the "colonial feel" with woodwork (or plastic wood in one branch!) around the tellers - tacky but a nice change from the clinical commercial bank tellers of today.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Insan3
yes good point, I gues though if you can meet with your BOQ manager and they have good experience etc. then they are going to be around longer due to their financial commitment t o the business, rather than a big 4 manager who is good and gets promoted quickly.

Wow

So many opionions and I think you all have some good points to raise. Nice to know about Franchise model as I believe you are correct, could be better or worse depending on the people.

Think I will shop around as suggested and check out the branches/people etc and "try to buy" so to speak.

Thanks for the rundown. Keep it up and we will see if we can come up with a consensus...I am in Brisbane Sunday 16th March

Adious:):):)

Back