Who are "We Buy Houses"?

I've recently been seeing lots of signs on lots of fences on corner properties within my city. They're all the same. Yellow signs with black type. All they say is "We Buy Houses - Phone xxxxx".

I wondered who these people were. Because they seem to be popping up everywhere. So I tried www.webuyhouses.co.nz and there they were. We Buy Houses is actually the name of a company.

If anyone goes onto the website, they have offices apparently in Australia and UK. Are these wraps?

I was just wondering, WRAPS have been getting alot of bad press here recently. Are these people are scam/ripoff?

Ta
Queen Bee:)

we buy houses

Hi

I havent had any personal dealings with webuyhouses, but I have spent a bit of time on their website. It is run by Rick Otton, who was the founding president of the Vendor Finance assn. if you have a look at the webuyhouses website, there is a link to another one, called creativerealestate. There is an educational pack you can purchase called the wrap pack, which apparently gives lots of info on wrapping. I haven't bought one, but have considered it. Generally, it seems that Rick Otton is considered somewhat of a guru in the wrapping market.
We are actively considering wrapping at the moment, to get a cash flow positive stream to our property portfolio.
I have heard some of the bad press about wrapping, but it's interesting that Rick Otton just a little while ago had a very positive story on Today Tonight. So, the press chooses time and place for building things up and tearing things down.
Generally, most people I've spoken to re wrapping are looking for a win-win situation. Most of the bad press seems to be implying arappers are vultures looking for easy prey. I know the contracts we have looked at have had meant that a caveat is put on the property and it can't be sold from underneath the prospective buyer.
Having said that, we haven't had any personal experience on either side of the fence. It's all just hearsay!
Penny

The press here and some government officials have got on the bandwagon recently about WRAPPING. I didn't take much notice at the time, but they were talking about all these people getting ripped off by a company that was doing it. I think they were even talking about trying to make it illegal. Don't know what's happened.

They imply that WRAPPERS prey on low income people that can't find finance through the regular channels, charge them heaps, and that the only person that gets anything out of it are the WRAPPERS.

Don't know much about WRAP's except the things I've read on this forum. But I just wondered who these people were, cos they've got signs up everywhere.

Thks
QB

Hi QB,

I'm not into wrapping myself but bought Rick Otton's Wrap Pack and went to some of his seminars to educate myself about wrapping.

There are many stories about amoral wrappers preying on low income people but Rick's company is one of the good guys!!

We Buy Houses business is to work with people who can afford the house but for various reasons can't get the finance at that time. Buyer's pay a higher interest rate for the service (Rick's profit margin). In most cases after several years they will refinance with a bank or similar as they can then prove a repayment history.

As with most business' the honest one's prosper because they provide a valued service and the shonky one's hopefully get what they deserve.

Bill

Originally posted by Queen Bee
The press here and some government officials have got on the bandwagon recently about WRAPPING. I didn't take much notice at the time, but they were talking about all these people getting ripped off by a company that was doing it. I think they were even talking about trying to make it illegal. Don't know what's happened.

QB

Hi QB ,
The stuff I saw on TV a month didnt really seem to be wrappers. These peopole had owned their own home, some with no mortgage, and had then subsequently got coned into using the home for security for unsecured debts of relatives.

Also re WRAPS - the announcement re Kiwibank offering 1800 loans to low income (under $50k !) families to buy their onw homw with no deposit and no savings history - how will this affect the WRAP market - they seem to be targeting the same people .

Hiya QB,

I have to say, I agree totally with Bill!

Rick is one of the good guys, he loves his wrapping, and he is passionate about it being done 'right'.

He was the founder of the Vendor Finance Wraps Association, but has now handed it over and it's become an entity within itself and has a new president in MichaelG.

Lissie, that info about Kiwibank is interesting, That would seem to kill the wrap market. I wonder if they will lend to bankrupts and such. By the way, what's an 1800 loan? or is that the number of loans available?

asy :D

PS: Bill spoke of Honest businesses prospering, I have to give his a plug. Bill is a fantastic optometrist, he did my last pair of glasses, and really helped me to understand what was going on, not just 'here, wear these'.
I am trying to make time to fly back to MEL to see him. If you are in MEL and need glasses, he is seriously worth the drive. :D

Originally posted by asy

Lissie, that info about Kiwibank is interesting, That would seem to kill the wrap market. I wonder if they will lend to bankrupts and such. By the way, what's an 1800 loan? or is that the number of loans available?

That's 1800 loans over the next 2 years as a pilot . For details see : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3515802&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

I suspect initially it wont have much effect on the market - but if it catchs on and Labour stays in power it will go head to head with private wrappers.

We have wrapped 4 properties using the Rick Otton educational material and the positive cashflow it produces makes paying our buy and holds off a lot easier. There will always be systems in place for some members of the housless to become owners, but no one system covers them all. There is a place for the govt schemes as there is with wrapping, lease options, vendors terms etc etc.

QB
I also have met Rick personally and as Asy mentioned he sure is wrapped up in wrapping.Can't stop him from talking.Seems like a good guy my friend bought the wrap pack.Cheers layer181

There have been two slightly different approaches to wraps in Australia (as far as I know).

Steve McKnight's approach appears to be to target lower priced properties- perhaps in rural centres- where it's perhaps easier to find properties which battlers can buy for less than they're paying in rent. He has been touted in some TV programs as the "White Knight"- the person who gives the battler the way to own their own home. Those customers may typically not have a deposit above first home owners grant. I gather the wrapper has a long loan term with the wrappee.

Rick Otton's approach has been more to target people who are well off, but who have a credit impaired history for whatever reason- divorce, new arrivals, old financial problems, whatever. Many of his customers would have a substantial deposit- "hurt money" at minimum.

I may not have the two approaches correct, my apologies if I have something wrong.

Both people emphasise a win/win- where both the wrapper and the wrappee are happy with the outcome. The wrapper gains income, the wrappee gets a house where s/he may not have been able to for any other reason. Rick likes a customer to be able to refinance with a major institution after less than two years.

And I assume that in both approaches, the wrapper is very open to the wrappee about the margin for both the interest rate and the house price. I gather that the wrappee is happy with this, otherwise it's not a win/win.

But it's pretty easy for the press to pick up on either side of this.

I've already mentioned the stories about the White Knight. But there's also been stories about the evil greedy property owner who's out to get every cent out of the poor struggler. IMHO, completely unwarranted in most cases, but obviously there is always that element.

I have no problem with the ethics of wraps myself. But I can see that there may be a problem with other peoples' view of a person doing wraps- and I've seen that view even with colleagues.

I've chosen not to do wraps- the perceived ethics is one consideration for me.

The lack of capital is a bigger issue.

Originally posted by geoffw
I have no problem with the ethics of wraps myself. But I can see that there may be a problem with other peoples' view of a person doing wraps- and I've seen that view even with colleagues.

What's the difference between a wrapper charging an inflated interest rate and certain finance companies charging 27,29% for consumer credit? Not a lot really in my opinion. The finance companies probably just put more spin-doctoring on the whole deal to point out the additional risk they are taking, which, effectively, is the same additional risks the wrappers take on.

Originally posted by Kevmeister
What's the difference between a wrapper charging an inflated interest rate and certain finance companies charging 27,29% for consumer credit? Not a lot really in my opinion. The finance companies probably just put more spin-doctoring on the whole deal to point out the additional risk they are taking, which, effectively, is the same additional risks the wrappers take on.
I'd suggest there's a huge difference.

A wrapper would typically charge perhaps 2% above the bank rate, and/or may have a margin on the property price- perhaps 10%. A short term wrapper would probably have a lower interest rate and a higher property price margin, but probably within those bounds.

And a wrapper (from what Rick Otton has said) would be at pains to disclose everything- margins on interest, and profit on the property price.

And Rick's model encourages people to come off wrapper finance ASAP- usually 2-3 years.

A finance company charging 28% is charging 3 times the minimum possible rate- and perhaps twice an easily achievable rate. At least 50% higher than even the exorbitant credit card rate. In the recent stories in the press, these have also come with unasked for insurances, adding 25% to the capital cost from day one.

And in a lot of the cases, that is coming from a hidden cost. "18 months interest free". Why so generous? Because a very big percentage of those people who buy interest free do not make payments on time. And guess what happens when people are late? Yes, high interest rates. Probably not undisclosed- but certainly not highlighted.

I'd hardly put a wrapper in the same category as one of those finance companies.

Personally, I've chosen not to wrap probably more because I can't see a long term benefit.

I have a block of flats which was returning me about 9% when I bought it. I'm told it would be very good to strata title and wrap. If I added up the figures over the next two years, that's probably right- as a wrap, I'd be far ahead of my conservative buy and hold strategy.

But if I kept it for 10 years, I can see that I'd be far better off overall taking gradually increasing rents than going for the quick gain. And that's not even allowing for opportunities to add value and thereby increase rent.

We Buy Houses

I have purchased Rick Otton's wrap pack as well, I have completed one wrap and am in the mid of doing my second one. This type of investment provides you with good cashflow, you really have to try and make it as affordable as possible and have the wrappee's best interest at heart as well. A lot of the bad press is because the journo's do not tell you the whole story or situation eg. when you hear about people charging high rates of interest, it is often because the Wrappee has gone into default and under the contract the default interest is charged at a high interest rate .... same thing happens if you go into default with a bank.

The media then tell you that the person doing the wrap is charging interest at say 15%, but what they neglect to tell you is the person has defaulted and this is why they are been charged this interest rate. If the people get their payments back up to date then they go back the standard interest rate.

To me wrapping takes a little work but it is worth it and like "saicci" say you can use the money to pay of your buy and hold properties or your principal place of residence as the interest on your PPOR is not tax deductible, so it is always better to pay the non deductible debt off first.

I have decide since I now have completed my first wrap, maybe I could provide information to others that may be considering wrapping as an investment vehicle.

Matt

Hi,

I think the main issue people have with wraps is not the mechanics of wraps as such, it is because it deals with an emotionally charge product, that of the "family home".

If we put the emotional attachment aside, a wrap is essentially selling homes at a "convenient price". That is, the home is available NOW, if you wish to purchase at this price on these terms etc.

Now if we consider the cost of convenience, we may do so with the following examples...

"The cost of milk at a Petrol Station at 1am in the morning"

"The cost of an ice-cream in a movie cinema"

"The cost a fan belt from a road-side assistance company"

"The cost of inner city parking"

All these examples take a common commodity and increase the price (not the value) because of the simple factor that it is available to the consumer now.

In every example we have a choice, a choice we are fully aware of.

Wrapping and vendor finance, is not a system that "preys" on people, it is a system that offers 1 extra option people did not have previously.

Before late night convenience stores existed, did we have the option to buy all sorts of junk food at any time of the night? Not really, do we have to buy their goods, no. But we do, because it's convenient.

Now, for someone who wants a home, wants the security that a home provides, wants the satisfaction a home gives, who would otherwise be unable to get finance, wraps are a "convenient" way to do this.

If you wanted a pack of tim tams with your tea just before bed and the Service Station operator, gave you a chart that compared the supermarkets price with their price, would you still buy? Hell yes.

This is the same choices that people who choose wraps make. However because we are talking houses and not tim-tams, wrappers are legally obligated to ensure their contracts and disclosures comply with all relevant laws and trade practices.

To do less than what is required by the law is quite simply, breaking the law. However, if they do comply with the law and their customers are happy with the arrangement, then why issue with ethics?

Personally, I think the only people who would consider wraps unethical, would be a person that has never purchase an item at a convenient price.

Regards
Michael Gruber

Last edited:
Excellent response, MG, as usual :)

Kevmeister,
You posted a question before about what the difference is between using vendor finance (wrap) and a lender who charges exorbitant rates.
The lending industry is so much easier these days, with every second person seemingly able to access or sell you finance. Brokers have mushroomed (good and bad), lenders are more flexible and gone are the days when self employment meant you had to find a backyard lender with ridiculous rates, just to get a loan.

However, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned one difference here. I have been down the investigating wraps path, and, after much work and effort, decided to hold the properties instead. After all costs, two of the three places I was intending to wrap are still providing me with a small cashflow and I've enjoyed the booming cg that I've been fortunate enough to catch the best of over the last few years. The third house was sold (at a profit of $70K after holding for 14mths) to finish paying off our PPOR mortgage. Not everyone's choice, but 'twas a good move for us :)

At the time that I tried to wrap two of these houses, we had a sell figure of $125K and $130K on them. We had paid $100K and $103 for them respectively. In the end, we didn't get enough buyers (though we tried our guts out!) and subsequently ended up keeping them. Those properties are now worth $185K and $200K conservatively. Yes, I know the old arguments here about cashflow and how I could have taken my lump sum and run with it, but I'm much happier that I've kept these houses :) Allowed me to draw down on the equity and reinvest (something wrapping wouldn't have allowed me to do).

Still, deviating from the point here...... Sorry!
One of the major differences between using a wrap and another lender is the title. See, with a wrap the actual title of the house still belongs to the wrapper until the client has either paid off the house or is refinanced to another lender. This has been discussed many times in various posts but I just wanted to remind ppl of this difference. The buyer still has other types of title, such as possessory title, to protect him somewhat from the wrapper defaulting. They can also put a caveat on the title as a further measure. However, the wrapping industry needs to work harder (and I believe that the VFA is doing just that) to overcome this so that the buyers are better protected.
Wrappers like MG and Rick Otton are very ethical, in MHO, as they've had no dissatisfied clients (none that I've heard of anyway!) and they are passionate about the services they provide. Rick's Wrap Pack was enormously helpful, outlining an almost cookie cutter system to start off. Wrapping can be a terrific way for those who can't access normal credit to own a slice of the Great Australian Dream. Don't forget, too, that the wrappers take on risks that the banks have rejected. It's a risky venture and not for everyone. It's also a business, and should be treated as such. Your profit is locked in from the beginning, you know exactly how much cashflow you are going to make, and it's an avenue for those ppl who wish to increase their cashflow and have access to easy finance (or equity partners who do!)

IMHO, WeBuyHouses is a great company, run by very experienced people who have had years of experience in property investing and trading. Rick and Jane are passionate about what they do as well, and have terrific enthusiasm and insight. QB, I'm sure you don't have to worry about their company being scammers. Interesting to know that wrapping is taking off in NZ though. Thanks for keeping us informed :)

Back