Who knew doing the right thing would be so difficult!

Just wanting to share the chuckle I have had (sometimes out of all the frustration all you can do is laugh...) at the ridculousness of our governments departments...

Bought a house last year as FHO taking advantage of not having to pay the stamp duty - didnt move in straight away but was planning to move in. Anyways about 3 months ago (still within the 12month residency requirement period) realised I wouldn't be able to move in for at least another year. Fine, no problem, being the honest person I am sent an email to NSW OSR to ask on how to repay the stamp duty on the house purchase. My first mistake was thinking this was a reasonable and easy enought to answer request...but no, major FAIL #1.
I then proceeded to go back and forth via email and phone calls for 8 weeks (!) before I could get a clear enough answer on what to do. Mind you the info didn't come from one person but a host of OSR 'reps' who each contributed to a piece of the puzzle - albeit some of it contradictory which in part added to the time delay trying to confirm who was giving the correct info, FAIL #2.

Clearly a less stubborn person might have just ended up paying a conveyancer or solicitor to handle the transaction (self FAIL#3) but I admit I am very stubborn and it gets to me when seemingly simple things end up like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

The frustrating thing is that surely it can't be that uncommon for someone to buy under FHO benefits but then for whatever reason not be able to satisfy the requirements? In which case why was it so complicated to give advice on how to repay it?

So, in the end, this got me thinking, either A: By some random chance my emails went to (and only to) the work experience kids at OSR or B: I'm way too honest for my own good and should have just kept my mouth shut! :rolleyes:

Anyway the documents, cheque and a copy of my correspondances have all been sent off now, no sign yet that anything has been processed but I have hope (although I also have that sinking feeling that this might not be the end of it!) lol

Hi Porp,

Serves you right for expecting them to have to do some work :eek:

As each person is limited to 2 minutes work per day they had to keep passing it around so each one clocked up the correct amount of time

Back