who pays for "searches?"

Hello everyone again,

Another question. We are settling on another house on the 24th of feb. I got a call from the conveyencer yesterday and she stated that there was a search ( for title, council ect ect.) done in november last year and it was all clear. She said that because the search was done over three months ago, they are no longer valid and she highly recommended they get done again before settlement. I was always under the impression that this was paid for by the vendor, why is she asking me for money? It costs 300 bucks, not that money is huge but the house went on the market late october, and the search was done in early nov. It is a deceased estate and I dont believe anyone has lived there for the last three months. so I am not entirely sure why the search should be done again. I asked her but she replied just to be on the safe side.
I said yes to her, but now I am real curious about who pays.

thanks
Andy

I think you have to pay. The search should turn up any caveats, or unpaid rates, etc that may have changed in the last 3-4 months and could affect a successful settlement.

You pay. In fact, I think of buyer and seller at least one pays twice.

The REA does searches when the house is put up for sale, which the seller pays in their commission (some agents charge separately). Then (because it is always out of date) you pay again for your conveyancer or solicitor to do the searches when you settle. The buyer usually has a different conveyancer and they pay for the searches too.

Someone is making money off this :)

Hello everyone again,

Another question. We are settling on another house on the 24th of feb.
I said yes to her, but now I am real curious about who pays.

thanks
Andy
Andy what happened last time you purchased,you never know with "DE"
sometimes someone within the family who thought they were in the Will
will put a caveat on the property,or other interested parties,what,s 300 bucks
in the big scale of things..imho..willair..

A title search only costs less than $20, I believe $14 something the last time I did it a few weeks ago.. Why $300?? oh council search.. I would do a title search first (takes a couple of minutes) then if something is amiss then go further.

A title search only costs less than $20, I believe $14 something the last time I did it a few weeks ago.. Why $300?? oh council search.. I would do a title search first (takes a couple of minutes) then if something is amiss then go further.

Yeah, it costs us $18 from landgate, emailed straight to your inbox within about 5 minutes of ordering.

...and I agree with willair, you never know with a deceased estate, all sorts come out of the woodwork thinking they may have a claim against the estate, and subsequently whack a nice little caveat against the title...

Boods

thanks for all the replies. Like i said the vendors pay when they sell, then we pay when we buy if after ninety days since last search. Ill pay the doe and be for sure.

Thanks
Andy

And do it at the last possible moment. Caveats can be placed on properties an hour before settlement. Black v Garnock has changed the face of buying/selling forever.

Back