Who thinks property prices will fall in the coming months

will prices fall with rate hikes and boom prices?

• Yes, definitely, will see prices fall

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • Yes, I believe prices will at least stagnate in most areas

Votes: 80 40.0%
  • Im unsure, only time will tell...

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • No way, prices will just keep moving up steadily

Votes: 49 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Way too general a question. There's so many different markets.

Q. Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Newcastle, Bendigo?
A. Melbourne.
Q. OK, then which market, inner city apartments, inner ring houses, outer suburb houses?
A. Outer suburbs houses.
Q. East, West, North?
A. East.
Q. Old houses with development potential, ones without development potential, young houses, land packages?

It's a very general question, but I just picked one and voted anyway.

Thinking about inner suburbs of Brisbane, I just can't see how prices will be the same in 12 months, with so many new people arriving here.

Way too general a question. There's so many different markets.

Your results are not going to be of any use. Better to ask "Who thinks property prices will fall in Melbourne inner city units? (if Melbourne inner city units are your target area)

I voted for a steady increase, but I agree with others in that some suburbs will fall a bit, but most will continue to go up. The overall trend will continue to be upwards though.

Unemployment continues to go down and the economy is powering along. That, and a chronic supply issue is hard to argue with.

I already see that houses in Willoughby area in Sydney have started to have "For Sale" signs up -- this is unheard of in the past 2 years, people fight for them like crazy in auctions.

I picked houses will falll but it is general.

I believe that fall will happen in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, & inner Melbourne.

Though I believe that outer Melbourne and Adelaide will see modest gains. This is due to the affordability of these areas and strong demand.:D

My thoughts anyway....

I also believe that it will depend on the individual markets.

Its hard to see how Sydney can fall when prices have been stagnent for quiet some time after falling after the last boom.

Brisbane, well prices are going crazy but there is that demand that just won't quit.

Don't take it too seriously. That's why it's an opinion poll. It's simply an opinion in general.

Mostly I think prices will stagnate for a few months maybe even a coupla years. I think some prices will fall, there are lots of overpriced properties around, and you'll see reductions there.... and some desperate owners will sell under market to get out.

I would say yes. As much as i want to believe in the short term things will improve.You have to look at the facts.There are tough times ahead for those who are unprepared or skating close to the edge already. Many will still be fine though and better times will return eventually.
My area has been flat for 5 years with little room for prices to drop much more on better properties. Blocks of land that went for $160,000 or more 4 years ago are now around $100,000 and likely to drop more. Some good buys starting to appear.

Hi want2bewealthy,

I couldn't tell you with any certainty whether property in my area would be worth any more in 3 months than it is worth now.

All I know is, Australia provides clean air, clean food, economic prosperity and political stability...hell, come to Perth and you also get the best blokes!!

People are beating down our door to come hear.....

The demand is insatiable, and until the supply (via trained apprentices) meets the demand, I cannot see the replacement value of current housing in my area falling.

.....ALL OF THE ABOVE IS MY VERY BIASED OPINION.....

Glenn

In the past when shares have dropped, house prices have gone up.

Can't see this happening in Perth but for the rest of us. . .

I say . . . up we go!:D

hi want2bewealthy
you are not asking how long is a piece of sting but also how thick and also if possible what colour.
do I think price will move the answer is yes.
the next question is where.
now thats a bit more difficult.
price not only will fall in the comming months they fell some where today.
but also some where price went up also.
I am not a betting man but I would take the bet that somewhere in australia a property went down today.

an environment of rising interest rates along with a falling share market and recessionary fears = nothing good for property in the next few months.

as for WILL it fall? well Mandurah is already off about 25% in the last 6 months. West Perth offices are up about 100%. If Perth prices - very generally - fall it will mean the resources boom has gone belly up, meaning the whole country will well and truly be in a pickle. Thankfully the RBA and leading economists believe the resources boom will insulate us quite nicely - but that was just todays headlines.

reduce debt, prepare for the worst, hope for the best....

hi ausprop
or increase debt, store cash in higher income producing assetts and increase buffer.
perth office space if flying
get in
lock in the leases 5 x 5
refinance while comm finance is available and one of the only still relatively easy finance but still getting harder
draw out cash and add to buffer.
sound familiar
and yes hope for the best not sure if hope will be enough

My PPOR went up 35%PA compound growth in the last 2 years after a recent conserative bank val. There is no way in hell that this will be sustained. I vote for a necessary decline, but as GR says it depends on which/what/where market.
pieman

Back