Why a long settlement isn't always beneficial

Over the years we've had various buyers, who for one reason or another, elect a long settlement period for their situation. Whilst this can be advantageous in terms of cash-flow (and, in a rising market, extra cg before title transfer) it's not always the right choice if you want to find the property in more or less the same condition as when you purchased.

Though most vendors are fair and reasonable when it comes to maintenance, there are those who simply hang up their tools in the interim and turn into A-Class slobs- trust me, I've seen sufficient in the 6 week period, let alone a few months! A recent example of a colleague BA was a buyer who had a 6 mth settlement period agreed (owners were going overseas for a work post so it suited all parties) and when it came time for the pre-settlement inspection, the place was awful- not only unclean but it looked as though they hadn't picked up a cleaning rag since exchange. He described the oven and stovetop area as something that would be 30% lighter if they'd taken the grease with them :eek:
It was a battle to obtain funds prior to settlement, as the owners were already overseas, difficult to deal with and claimed that the filth was due to "fair wear and tear". The guidelines around the state of the property at settlement can be a grey area, as the law states that the purchaser is to "ensure the property is in the same condition it was at the time of exchange, excepting normal wear and tear".

As the inclusions are marked on the contract and therefore easily accountable at psi time, it's imperative that buyers check everything else thoroughly (keeping in mind that most building inspectors don't test electrical/gas items or pools, septic systems etc) so there are no nasty surprises. We take photos and double-check these at PSI time to increase our chances of discrepancies being overlooked. Most vendors are reasonable and fair, however there are always those who are going to use the wear and tear angle, so it's food for thought if you are going to pursue a longer settlement, particularly a PPOR.

Staged properties also can look not only barren and bare when empty, but some buyers are shocked to find the whole "atmosphere" of the place drastically different when furniture and the incense sticks are no longer in place. As with all property, do your DD, check the inclusions and state of the property at exchange, be realistic and take lots of photos. If you are especially concerned, a clause or two from your solicitor can go some way into ensuring you move into the property in a "cleaner" state.

Good points Jacque. Also from a finance point of view, if the settlement is too long the valuer may not take the contract price as the value - therefore you run into risk of having an undervaluation since most loan approvals only last 90 days.

Good points Jacque. Also from a finance point of view, if the settlement is too long the valuer may not take the contract price as the value - therefore you run into risk of having an undervaluation since most loan approvals only last 90 days.

Ah yes Aaron- I got so carried away with the cleaning aspect, I neglected to mention this. In your experience, how often does this occur?

Ah yes Aaron- I got so carried away with the cleaning aspect, I neglected to mention this. In your experience, how often does this occur?

Not too often thankfully. But it can happen if the purchase is usually 6 months or more out since markets change significantly (in the valuer's eyes) over that time period.

Many 'off the plan' applications will be re-assessed comletely if there's longer than a 6 month period to settlement.

Fortuantely most valuations are good for 6 months at this point.

Thank you for a very informative post Jacque. I know it's an old thread, but I just read it today and thought I should compliment.

I took photos of the property before I signed the contract last time I bought too. But it's a good idea to have a clause in the contract to ensure the place is in a cleaner state at settlement.

This couldn't be more true, it's rare you'll find a vendor who's willing to part with time and/or money because the property has lacked care throughout the sales cycle.

On the other hand sometimes vendors are quite willing to work with a purchaser. This very week I had a vendor agree to pay $720 for the property's pool to be cleaned and he also accepted our request to sweep leaves from the garage which had been left open and to remove some furniture upstairs even though it was attached to the property.

One way to avoid problems is to write on the contract that you'll be granted access prior to settlement and also a clause that means settlement can be brought forward if both parties agree to it mutually. That way if the property is not being looked after the purchase can a) ask the vendor to address the issue well in advance or b) bring settlement forward to address the issues before they worsen.

:)

the other problem is if you have your finance lined up with your bank and then they decide not to be a bank anymore, as Macquarie did a couple of years ago.

the other problem is if you have your finance lined up with your bank and then they decide not to be a bank anymore, as Macquarie did a couple of years ago.

Fortunately that's a fairly rare event ;)

Sometimes there's a serous advantage to getting a property on the rental market within a specific timeframe. Several of my properties are close to universities and rental demand in those areas jumps in late January/early Febuary. Not only are the new students looking for a place, but others also look at this point as they're back from leave and it's also a popular time for people to change employment and relocate.

Not too often thankfully. But it can happen if the purchase is usually 6 months or more out since markets change significantly (in the valuer's eyes) over that time period.

Bit over a year ago I had to value a property in December that had been purchased at Auction, just after the peak of the market in the precceding January with nearly 1 year setlement.

Purchase price $1.75m

Valuation close to settlement $1.4m

Bit over a year ago I had to value a property in December that had been purchased at Auction, just after the peak of the market in the precceding January with nearly 1 year setlement.

Purchase price $1.75m

Valuation close to settlement $1.4m

a loss is a loss, settled or not. the cash injection would be unwelcome tho.

Back