Why all the "For Lease" residential property?

Hi all,

I live in Brisbane and in my regular driving around I am finding an incredible number of "For Lease" signs on residential property. I am wondering if this is a new trend in Brisbane or even Australia generally? What is the advantage for buyers and sellers?

I personally don't recall seeing "For Lease" signs previously just the "For Sale", I know anecdotal evidence is useless so tell me am I alone in noticing this new trend?

Cheers,
[email protected]

I use for lease sign, unless I expect them to rent out immediately. It's just another method of advertising.

Cheaper than newspapers :D

hmm

So do a lot of people lease residential property on a 20 or 30 year term?? Do some people rent a leased property? Is the advantage with leasing, that you own but don't have to pay the rates, repairs etc. Yet you do get the income. The disadvantage being that it might be tough to sell with a lease existing?

Real estate is so interesting, just when you think you understand something. There is a new aspect to learn.

Cheers,
[email protected]

I think you'll find in this case that 'for rent' and 'for lease' mean the same thing.
I noticed an agent's sign the other day that had 'purchased' instead of 'sold' plastered across it. He must think it's a classier way to say it. Made me smile.

Maybe as a cost cutting measure to keep up with rising interest costs, owners are opting to cut out the managing agent and will find a tenant themselves.

The other idea is that whilst renovating just after purchase, you display a 'for rent' or 'for lease' sign so the current interest payments are tax deductable against future rental income.

rick otton just finished a boot camp recently (on the gold coast)
it might have something to do with that.
it may be lease to buy or some such thing.

cheers
shaun

I'm 99.99% sure it's just agents (and others) choosing to put 'for lease' instead of 'for rent' on a sign. Given when people rent a property, they sign a lease, I guess it makes sense.

i just noticed driving home yesterday a brand new block of units had gone up and a huge for lease sign out the front.
actually come to think of it, the agents name was plastered all over the sign as well. perhaps its another way of RE agents charging landlords a larger fee for advertising the property.

shaun

As depreciator has said a couple of times, I am pretty sure that as it relates to residential property, for lease means exactly the same as for rent.
look at your normal rental contract, you dont say "they signed a 6 months rent" you say "they signed a 6 month lease".
same same.

One of our local agencies uses 'gone' instead of sold. Must think its pretty cool I suppose. And there are plenty of 'for lease' signs used in renting resid properties as well.

GJ

I think you'll find in this case that 'for rent' and 'for lease' mean the same thing.
I noticed an agent's sign the other day that had 'purchased' instead of 'sold' plastered across it. He must think it's a classier way to say it. Made me smile.

LOVE IT!!!!

I may run this by my business partner and start using it too :D

Thanks D :D :D

Hi mcdeyess

There have probably always been as many ‘For Lease’ signs but now that you have seen one you will notice them all!

I always instruct the property manager to get a board up as soon as a tenant gives notice. Most properties are still let ‘from the board’, and we get a better quality of enquiry from the board than from the internet. People have already seen the property and the conversion rate (enquiry to letting) is much higher for that reason.

Actually,’ For Lease’ does not specifically mean the same as ‘For Rent’, although a property ‘for lease’ will also require rent to be paid.

A Leasehold (holding the property by way of instrument of lease) is second only to Freehold (holding the property in Fee Simple, ie freehold) however these are subordinate to the interests of the Crown (Sovereign State) which holds dominion (ownership) absolutely over the land.

You may own the improvements on the land, and have certain rights to the land, but the Crown owns the land.

Old titles used to specify how much of the land you had a right to: From memory, it used to be 15 metres above the natural surface of the land and 5 metres below.

This effectively gave you enough ‘space’ to construct a building with the usual footings, but did not give you mining rights or the right to shoot at anything flying overhead.

So a lease gives you certain rights to the land, but not the right to, for example, sell it.

A lease is also for a period of time, the term of the lease. The term can be any length of time, and usually a lease commences on a fixed term, maybe six months or twelve months, at the effluxion of the term the tenancy may then continue indefinitely on a periodic basis, usually month to month. There is no legal requirement to enter into another lease unless both parties agree to do so.

The Rent is technically called ‘Some Valuable Consideration’, and is not necessarily money. No doubt you have heard the phrase ‘peppercorn rent’, and this stems from the very old practice of paying ‘one peppercorn per annum’ rent – a peppercorn representing valuable consideration.

You could literally rent a property (as landlord or as tenant) for $1 per annum, or whatever was agreed between the parties and the arrangement is legal and can be upheld by the courts.

There is a modern trend to interchange legal terms, ‘For Sale’ is correct, whereas ‘For Buying’ would not be correct, as it is the owner who is putting the property to the market and an ‘Invitation to Treat’ comes into existence as soon as that decision is made and the property advertised as such.

To use stickers across boards such as “Bought’ is very vague, and ‘Gone’ is not technically correct, as the property has not ‘gone’ anywhere.

A common misdescription is the incorrect use of the words ‘Client’ and ‘Customer’. The vendor & landlord are the clients of the Agent as they have engaged and instructed the Agent, whereas the buyer and the tenant have no real legal connection with the Agent, but could probably be described as ‘Customers’ although that is not strictly true either.

So “For Lease’ implies an opportunity within a formal legal agreement , for a period of time, and which will require rent to be paid, whereas ‘For Rent’ may not mean that the property is actually for lease, but simply that the property could be rented without the owner giving up their rights such as eg holiday accommodation, bed & breakfast or similar.

Cheers

Kristine

Back