Why are smart people so stupid.

Marina said:
MY gripe and the whole reason for this thread is with OTHER PEOPLE TRYING TO INTSTILL NEGATIVITY IN ME WHEN I HAVE NOT ASKED FOR THEIR OPINION.
I used to be one of those negative people myself. And I expressed my opinion- based on my own negative experience.

I've had a lot of people who have been very negative. And a lot more who just say nothing- but you can see that they don't think you are all there. And people who have invested in property and who have not done well.

Don't let any negativity get to you. You know a lot of things most people don't. A secret. One which will probably lead you to a state far better than any of them.

But associate with positive people. That's why I like the meetings with forumites- and why I organised a number of events in Canberra. I've met so many people who have influenced me and helped me- and that's additional to the very many people in the forum who have helped me by their posts.That helps me to grow.

Marina,

It's all good...keep doing what your doing and dismiss the doubters.

Bottom line - don't get nervy about it. Keep working towards your dreams and one day you'll be sipping a Banana Dakari on a Jamacian beach watching money pour in from your IP's, while those poor sods try to grasp how you "did it".

I agree with Geoff, Marina you sound like you think R/E investment is a sure bet?,

I disagree. To me she sounds like she's standing up for herself against most people's inherent nature to be negative.

Hi Marina,

I'm sure you are not alone in thinking that way about such blinkered views.

My wife and I often think back in wonder at why we didn't cotton onto the whole property investment thing sooner. Recalling how limited our view was, we would spend endless time trying to explain the benefits to family and friends.

All to no avail.

Now we just smile and avoid the topic with potential Dream Takers and it's all good.

Regards,

Kenny

I went into the bank this afternoon to deposit a cheque. I walked up to the lady behind the counter and she did her thing. After that, she was obligated, (by the bank), to tell me, (plus any other customer), about the bank's new savings accounts.

Teller: Have you heard about our new savings accounts?
Me: Yes I have, last week actually. I'll say no at this point in time.
Teller: No problem... You've got to start saving somewhere... Saving's the only way to get money...

She was right in some respects, and, ignoring her obligations to the bank in advertising these savings accounts, I thought it was a pretty myopic view to take of money...

Saving, in my opinion, (and others here I suspect), is the "slow" way to make money. :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is a little off topic but has anyone else wondered if these tellers have a quota each week of new accounts to make?

REgards,

Kenny

Kenny said:
Sorry if this is a little off topic but has anyone else wondered if these tellers have a quota each week of new accounts to make?

From my experience, I don't think so. This "new savings account" thing was only really a once off I think, and the tellers were probably told to tell everyone they serve about it — for advertising purposes.

Just for your information, the bank I'm referring to is the NAB. :)

Kenny said:
Hi Marina,

I'm sure you are not alone in thinking that way about such blinkered views.

My wife and I often think back in wonder at why we didn't cotton onto the whole property investment thing sooner. Recalling how limited our view was, we would spend endless time trying to explain the benefits to family and friends.

All to no avail.

Now we just smile and avoid the topic with potential Dream Takers and it's all good.

Regards,

Kenny
Went down that road too!
Except my better half was trying to convince me soooooo much earlier.

Some eight years ago before my blinkers finally came off. (Kids nearly grown up, thought I could take the risk) Should have acted a lot sooner, but I'm real happy the way we are going. At least I acted.

The kids seemed to be encouraged, and are in the know. (or will be soon)
Hopefully they'll set their own marks and kick some goals.

Friends, Well, we have a few doing similar things and others, well we don't talk shop anymore. What really surprises me is their interest, and then the "I'll have to do that some day" Opportunities just slip by. but so long as they are happy, it doesn't matter. In fact I think we've probably finally learnt to keep things quiet and not talk about property unless other people share the same interest.

so I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the forum members tommorrow night at the Melbourne meeting!

Marina, as far as the professionals in the area that holds our fasination goes,
just because they work in the field doesn't mean they SHARE our INTERESTS,
to them it may be just a nine to five job. (It pays the bills)

continue treating it like water off a ducks back
and LOL with your PI's in the future.

regards Timm

see_change said:
Marina

Personally I think it's a positive to hear uninformed , ill-advised or negative comments .

Less competition. :D

See Change

Im always happy when I hear a comment such as this from another investor or a comment such as you cant do this, you cant do that...

I too smile, think about who I am selling a property to or purchasing a property from and go along investing =)

Ajax said:
Any comments on this post on a sharetrading forum....a friend explained that a negative BIS Shrapnel report was one reason for him selling a 3 bedroom waterfront unit in Drummoyne, Sydney about 8 years ago. Had he held it would have easily doubled in price. The poster below is also relying on BIS Shrapnel forecasts.

"Most unbiased experts are saying at best property prices will hold these levels until around 2010 before moving up again.
Of course this is only if rates dont rise...or unemployment rises...we get a depression etc etc.

So why anyone would be looking to invest in property in this environemt has me stumped.

The IMF said that every australian capital is extremely overvalued when compared to wages except for darwin which came in at overvalued.

Thos who think property rises every year are in fantasy land...if you pay too much at the wrong time expect to lose money...this is what will happen over the next few years.

When nobody thinks property is a good investment anymore is the time to buy...there are still too many first homebuyers and inexperienced investors in the market for this to happen.

BIS Shrapnel calling for a 2.5% increase in rates over the next few years...so you can add around close to 50% on top of your repayments.
There is no way the banks will lend money like they are now in that environment.

Property boom is well and truly over already and after every boom comes a bust...is the way it has always been and always be...human emotions of greed and fear.

Good luck...hope to be buying your properties in 2 or 3 years at a 20-30% discount."

Tell the sharemarket guru to do a search on BIS =) Trusting their "expert" advice is like playing russian roulette (and that is probably being generous)

Having said that they are about due to be correct - and Id fancy a nice big recession, property slump =)

Back