Why can't I give Kudos's to Whomever I Please as Many Times as I Want?

I know why really, the question was rhetorical and more to vent.

BUT: I do find it frustrating that if I feel someone talks a whole lot of sense or for whatever reason, that I can't give them Kudos because I already did so one or two kudo's ago.

I just think you should be able to give them at least twice in a row.

What is the gap between kudo's to one person. I know it's not time as I saw another poster having issues giving kudo's to the same person they gave kudo's to three months ago.

All this kudo talk.....it's harder than politics.;)

Regards JO

I know why really, the question was rhetorical and more to vent.

BUT: I do find it frustrating that if I feel someone talks a whole lot of sense or for whatever reason, that I can't give them Kudos because I already did so one or two kudo's ago.

I just think you should be able to give them at least twice in a row.

It's a bit like money. The more of it on issue, the less value that one unit of it becomes.

To prevent inflation the value of each kudo unit should be inversely proportional to the individual's propensity to give.

In other words kudos from those who rarely give should be worth more than those who are more loose.

Those who have received a lot from many would thus be advantaged over those who receive a huge number from a few.

The former would be more democratic since mutual admiration societies or cliques risk skewing the latter (as a general principle).

In a crude way, limiting kudos giving is nearer the former than the latter and is less inflationary.

A non-inflationary kudos policy keeps the system stable and moderates extreme cycles caused by expanding egos.

Of course the monetary comparison breaks down because the policy here is 'all good' - ie there exist no anti-kudos, based on the ancient maxim that if you have nothing good to say then .... .

Also it is not a surplus of money that's an issue - but a surplus of it relative to goods. In this case an intangible product - that of good posts - provides some asset backing for kudos. However values can sometimes become out of kilter and inflation results.

The opposite, that of a posting strike, may be a slim possibility. But I say it's slim since for some the mere posting of something is sufficient to satisfy the urge - not feedback on its value or otherwise.

LOl- Well that explains that QUITE well I would think!

KUDO Inflation

It's quite a well thought out system really, when you look at it like that.

Those who have received a lot from many would thus be advantaged over those who receive a huge number from a few.

I would love to know, if those with a large proportion of Kudo's have received them mostly by the same posters in anycase and if so, do those "few" read and reply to the threads that that particular poster has more interest in more frequently than the usual threads about property that are posted on this forum.

There are those, like yourself...that don't post that frequently, and/or who post more on economic subjects, yet have alot of kudo's......from people who are in perhaps a clique of mutual admiration.....which I see nothing wrong with btw.

The Kudo Habits of Somersofters....interesting.

Regards JO

There are two factors which govern the amount of Kudos you can hand out.

There is a daily limit to the number, no matter who they are given too (ie maximum number of kudos clicks in any 24 hour period).

There is also a minimum number of users you need to give Kudos to before you can give Kudos to the same person again.

I don't publish what these settings currently are and they are subject to change if necessary.

These two functions are primarily in place to stop Kudos stacking (people giving each other Kudos to ramp up their "rankings" and increase their ability to affect other people's Kudos scores).

We have had issues with people soliciting Kudos and otherwise trying to abuse the system in the past - which is one of the reasons we don't publish rankings of who has the most any more.

Exactly what sort of an out-and-out mental frenzy was involved in designing such an intricate system for aggregating the cumulative effect of clicking on boxes, for chrissake? Put the same level of tech-wizardry into our actual economy, and Finland, Singapore and China will be eating our dust!

Exactly what sort of an out-and-out mental frenzy was involved in designing such an intricate system for aggregating the cumulative effect of clicking on boxes, for chrissake? Put the same level of tech-wizardry into our actual economy, and Finland, Singapore and China will be eating our dust!

The system is actually quite complicated because it was designed as a "reputation system" which allows both positive and negative feedback to be left for a user.

Each person has what is referred to as a "reputation power" which is the number of points by which they can affect someone else's reputation (positively or negatively). This is calculated based on a number of factors, including length of time they have been a member, the number of posts they have made, and their own reputation score (ie, someone with a higher reputation will have a greater impact on someone else's reputation).

The whole system was designed around minimising abuse, while attempting to generate some form of numerical mechanism for ranking people's contribution to the site (based on the opinions of other members).

We have greatly simplified the system (believe it or not!), by only allowing positive feedback to be given.

Interestingly, the incredibly simple Facebook concept of just indicating that you "like" a post seems to be gaining more favour amongst forum software now - indeed, the software I am preparing to migrate us to in the near future will allow you to like posts ... but at the cost of no longer being able to leave a comment like the Kudos/reputation system does. There are other mechanisms for giving feedback to people which possibly work better anyway.

Complicated? Well that's a relief! I can extract the explosive cranial dynabolts readied for fear of spiralling into common-day comprehensibility.

Back