Why do you live where you live?

Where did you use to live in Sydney, porp e? I know it can be a heck of a rat race on a good day, but I'm at a loss to understand how the lifestyle could be better in Hedland. Doesn't the heat up there drive you mad?

In this order:

1. Work
2. Climate - (bring on the frosts baby, I hate sweating)
3. Proximity to family

Simple really.

Where I WANT to live:

1. Proximity to family/friends.
2. Climate
3. Shopping and entertainment
4. Work

Where did you use to live in Sydney, porp e? I know it can be a heck of a rat race on a good day, but I'm at a loss to understand how the lifestyle could be better in Hedland. Doesn't the heat up there drive you mad?

I have this long standing joke with my other half (he works outdoors) that I spend my days going from our airconitioned house to my aircon'ed car and then sit in the aircon'ed office all day! Winter here is fairly nice though days at 25C nights down to 18C which after 40C+ Summers actually starts to feel cold.

The lifestyle here is very different, I wouldn't say better or worse just different, those who cant live without the city conveniences and social life don't last long here. For me I love moving and experiencing new places, have lived all over Sydney and also in the Hunter, Central Coast, NZ, USA, UK, Germany, born in Poland so this was just another adventure and opportunity to experience beautiful WA :) Of course the money here helps too ;)

I live here for a few reasons.
My job is here so having a big city job in a regional location has a favorable income to expenses ratio.

3 traffic lights and 15 minutes to work.
Currently sitting on my front verandah playing guitar looking towards the mountains about 5 klms away.
Farmland nearby good for a run.
Vineyards starting just 2 klms away.
River 4 klm away that I drag my tinny down to regularly .
So many beaches within 30 minutes it's crazy.
Trendy berry and kangaroo valley nearby.
Endless motorbike and 4wdlocations to the west.
Camping also.
2 hours to Sydney
Little over 2 hours to Canberra
Half day drive to the snow fields.
Great game fishing directly off shore from us plus some of the best land based game fishing in Australia.
Choice of inner cbd living
Coastal beach houses
Dairy style acreage
Or 100 plus acre lots 30 minutes out of town for a few hundred.
River front houses available in town .
Cbd units for around $200,00
Cbd houses for around $300,000
Plenty of choices for your average suburban house too.
Fast growing regional center with what I believe to be some good times ahead.

Life is good :)
Where do you live? Moss Vale?

Why do I live where I live?
1) Work
2) Climate (love the heat, hate the cold)
3) Low tax rates (which helps to build wealth)
4) Quality of life (safe, secure, developed)
5) Low crime tolerance
6) Travel hub for Asia (so lots of flight options available to many destinations)
7) Extremely multi-cultural
8) Close proximity to Oz (can be home same day in 7 hours if needed)
9) Because everything here just works!

Where do you live? Moss Vale?

Why do I live where I live?
1) Work
2) Climate (love the heat, hate the cold)
3) Low tax rates (which helps to build wealth)
4) Quality of life (safe, secure, developed)
5) Low crime tolerance
6) Travel hub for Asia (so lots of flight options available to many destinations)
7) Extremely multi-cultural
8) Close proximity to Oz (can be home same day in 7 hours if needed)
9) Because everything here just works!

Nah. My area is not quite that flash. I live in North Nowra. Nowra gets a bit of a bashing from time to time but it really only has one "lower" area. Plenty of nicer areas and still somewhat affordable compared to neighbouring towns.

We bought in this suburb of Perth simply for the glory of telling everyone where we live. The pose factor is great and very important to our aspirations. The stable of Rollers and Maserati's needed somewhere decent to be housed, and this place accomodated those well.
I'd rather to have lived where Dazz lived but being an eastern stater I didn't know it existed until after I was settled. Instead i lived in a very quiet area because not many Perthites wanted to live there. On the up side, there wasn't much traffic :p

Lifestyle. Wake up to this view renting from some landlord who gets 3% rental yield.:rolleyes:, while making our money work harder.
15mins to work, cafes, restaurants, sail on harbour on the weekend, nice harbour walks, CBD 10mins away.

new years party at your place :D ?

Lifestyle. Wake up to this view renting from some landlord who gets 3% rental yield.:rolleyes:, while making our money work harder.
15mins to work, cafes, restaurants, sail on harbour on the weekend, nice harbour walks, CBD 10mins away.

Great view Bluestorm- very jealous! When you say 3% rental yield do you mean based on its current value or what the landlord paid for it?

Reason I ask is that a good friend of mine inherited a 5 bed federation home in Neutral Bay with a similarly spectacular view, probably worth $4m-$5m he rents it out for $2k a week- crap yield based on its market value but his grandfather gave it to him and he has no need for the space or the view. I would assume his grandfather won it in a poker bet :)

He lives in and pays a mortgage on a very humble 2 bed terrace in Glebe and uses the income from the Neutral Bay house to invest elsewhere. He doesn't want to sell because the place is a veritable gold mine and the rent is secondary to his needs.

Point being, sometimes as investors our yield requirements are often very different to those that own property outright as a means of storing their wealth.

We moved from Rowville to Upwey purely for lifestyle. We wake up to kookaburras in the morning and we go outside and the air is fresh. It's far enough out of town not to be caught up in the million miles an hour lifestyle but closer enough that we have all the necessary amenities.

We bought this house because we saw the advert for ages, brushed it off because it was so mindbendingly cheap, and eventually thought screw it, had a look, and bought it as an investment.

Then we spent time there doing the place up and noticed:

Lovely neighbours
Gorgeous weather
Good soil for growing stuff
Very pretty town
Good local school
Great community
Almost all the facilities you need in the town
Whole town is within walking distance (just)
Lots of nice friendly lizards and birds

Canned our plans to just have it as an investment, downsized all our stuff and shoehorned ourselves into the place with some difficulty. If the bank ever pulls their finger out of their proverbials and actually gives us the loan they've been hoarding our paperwork for all year, we're going to move a whole 10 metres away from this house and have all of the above without the sardine effect.

Great view Bluestorm- very jealous! When you say 3% rental yield do you mean based on its current value or what the landlord paid for it?

Reason I ask is that a good friend of mine inherited a 5 bed federation home in Neutral Bay with a similarly spectacular view, probably worth $4m-$5m he rents it out for $2k a week- crap yield based on its market value but his grandfather gave it to him and he has no need for the space or the view. I would assume his grandfather won it in a poker bet :)

He lives in and pays a mortgage on a very humble 2 bed terrace in Glebe and uses the income from the Neutral Bay house to invest elsewhere. He doesn't want to sell because the place is a veritable gold mine and the rent is secondary to his needs.

Point being, sometimes as investors our yield requirements are often very different to those that own property outright as a means of storing their wealth.
out of curiosity, has your friend looked into renting it out as short term accommodation or a holiday home to high flyers?

100k on a 4-5M home is terrible, but that being said, I understand what he's doing

(note: I have no idea what the short term accommodation market is like there, or where neautral bay is, so please don't go off at me)

Where do I live? Jerrabomberra, just outside Canberra?

Why do I live here:
1) Great neighbourhood, nice big blocks, lots of trees and dogs, and friendly kids for my son to play with in our street
2) Work is 20 mins drive (doing a job I love and getting paid a shedload)
3) Wife's work is 20 mins drive (doing a job she loves and getting paid well also)
4) Good family nearby, irritating family far away
5) We have established community here with school, church and friends
6) Lots of interesting walks around the area (I do an hour each morning)

Maybe it's my family, our community, whatever, but I'm as happy as a pig in mud here. In days to come I'll look back with very fond memories.

Where do I live. Canberra.

Why.
1. Wife was smart enough to buy it for a pitance in '99
2. 5 minutes drive to wife's work.
3. 25 minutes free bus ride to my work.
4. Great cafes/resturants/cinemas/retail.
5. Clean Air
6. Lots of walking areas and dog parks for our 40kg black Lab
7. High entry level property prices to keep at least the poorer bogans away.

We live near Parramatta.

Why?
10kms from hubby's work.
15mins from mum - great help with babysitting and if I'm having a "moment" and need some time out from the tantruming toddler.

We've been away from the beach for just over 12 months now and I miss it so much. But it is a fair way from family and hubby's work. And much more expensive to where we are living now. I guess priorities have to change when you have little ones. We are renting so nothing holding us here. I have no idea where to move to next though, I guess that is the fun in renting - you hold a map in your hand and take your pick of suburbs.

We live near the Woronora River

The wife fell in love with the view so we had to buy it :eek: Have spent many years rebuilding the house as would have cost an absolute bomb to knock down and rebuild due to the slope of the block.

We were looking to move to get closer to work but this turned out to be only marginally closer so we moved work in the end.:D

Cheers

Back