Why do you live where you live?

We live where we do because:

1. it's on the high side of the street, near (but not at) the top of a hill
2. it has a decent yard for us to grow thing in
3. it is a decent sized house
4. it's walking distance to my mum's place - so she can come around to look after the garden, empty the letter box, etc when we're away. Used to have her do the cleaning too :D (we paid her)
5. it has a 2.5 car sized garage with 3 phase power - ok, that wasn't the reason we bought it. I only discovered it afterwards, and have never had anything to plug into it!
6. It located in a court coming of another court - so local traffic out front only. Pity the people at the top of the court are hoons and go tearing up the hill :(

The Y-man

Convenience, quiet, friendly neighbours, close enough to everything. It will do for now.

Future:

- Property with large block (hectare or more)
- Shed with tools to build guitars
- Recording studio

We live close to my husband's work. If it weren't for his job, we probably wouldn't live in Melbourne at all. The kinds of places we'd like to live have zero employment. We'll just have to wait until retirement (almost 40 years away...) or come up with a work-from-home scheme. We've considered moving to a smaller regional city but we've resigned ourselves to staying put (for now).

I moved closer to the city to rent a place about a year ago mainly because of that old cliché - location, location, location.

10mins to the largest shopping centre in SA
10mins to large hospital & uni
10mins to beach
15mins to airport
15mins to city
5mins walk to train station & 1min to bus stop

Suburb isn't the best and there's some crime around but I haven't had any issues yet. :)

Slumming it in 'the bad part of Adelaide', in a gated community title development, 150 houses, 5 acres of private parkland and ponds (Ducks included :)). Cost me a pittance, will have the house paid off in 3 1/2 years. 10 mins from work, 2 mins from train and bus hub, 2 mins from 'Adelaides 2nd CBD', 2 mins from new super GP clinic, 5 mins from large hospital, 20 mins from the Barossa Valley.

Oh yeah. :cool:

I live in the beautiful Hills Northwest district of Sydney with peace, serenity and greenery all around...... for now I wouldn't live anywhere else.

But.... when the kids all leave home (which could be decades yet!:D) hubby and I plan to downsize to a chic apartment overlooking the water somewhere.

Slumming it in 'the bad part of Adelaide', in a gated community title development, 150 houses, 5 acres of private parkland and ponds (Ducks included :)). Cost me a pittance, will have the house paid off in 3 1/2 years. 10 mins from work, 2 mins from train and bus hub, 2 mins from 'Adelaides 2nd CBD', 2 mins from new super GP clinic, 5 mins from large hospital, 20 mins from the Barossa Valley.

Oh yeah. :cool:

It doesn't sound like there's any downside there to me CJ.

So in 3 1/2 years you have either a large tax free deposit or no mortgage or good cashflow if you decide to keep but move on... nice position to be in.

Great job with the landscaping btw.

Thanks Weg.

Well that is the plan, to live in this place for the next 10 years, so a good 6 1/2 years will be mortgage free freeing up an extremely large amount of money to be pushed into investing.

My partner and I are still funnelling some money into our share portfolio, however at the moment debt reduction is taking precedence.

At the 10 year mark we'll hopefully be able to upsize to something more suitable for a family, in a nicer area.

Where do you live? Moss Vale?

Why do I live where I live?
1) Work
2) Climate (love the heat, hate the cold)
3) Low tax rates (which helps to build wealth)
4) Quality of life (safe, secure, developed)
5) Low crime tolerance
6) Travel hub for Asia (so lots of flight options available to many destinations)
7) Extremely multi-cultural
8) Close proximity to Oz (can be home same day in 7 hours if needed)
9) Because everything here just works!

id say you live in Singapore, and you forgot to mention the food

Back