Why don't you come into the chat room?

When I first joined the forum back in July 2003 the IP Chat was going off.

There was 20+ people in there just about all the time (or so it seemed) and they were talking about all things IP related, and a few things not IP related.

For me, as a complete newbie back then, it was a tremendous learning experience being able to sit and listen (and take part) in discussions between some of the forums most experienced (and succesful) property investors.

Sadly, these days things are a little different. :(

There still is a crew of regulars, but we dont seem to have many new forumites coming in and having a yak.

So, for the majority of forumites who dont chat - why don't you?

Similarly, regular chatters may also wish to comment on why they keep coming back to the chat?

Personally, learning experience aside (which continues to this day), I have made some very good friends through the chat and it's a great way for me to keep in touch and kick about ideas with them.

And if that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps this might - it is a great place to get investment tips! ;)

I bought my first IP in Mackay as a result of comments that see_change made in the chat. He'd just bought up half of Rockhampton and made comments about the property boom "wave" going up the Queensland coast. So I looked at a map, saw that Mackay was the next major place further north and started doing my research. To cut a longish story short I bought in the Mackay area for $129k, sold for $200k ($71k / 55% gross in 14 months). Thank you chat (and sc)!

For those that are interested, please see the links below:

Accessing the Chat Room

Java Chat

CGI:IRC Web Chat

Chatting with an IRC Client

Mark :)

ps. We don't bite. :cool:

pps. If it was because you don't know how to chat, you'd better find a new excuse. :D

Last edited:
Pitt St said:
ps. We don't bite. :cool:
You sure about that??? :p

Nahhh seriously, I used to frequent the chatroom regularly, indeed as Seech (aka See_change) described it, I used to "monopolise" the conversation most times, and judging by the ipchat stats, by george I think he's right!!! :p ;)

Yes I agree Mark, it was a lot more fun when people joined in and ACTUALLY SPOKE, nowdays (albeit I still pop in from time to time) I find even the "regulars" don't say anything much, so I just cyber-tip toe (so as not wake anyone) back out.

Who knows maybe when there is another "boom" and property is all the flavour again, people will actually have something to talk about, but for now it seems the chatroom is filled with a lot of pregnant pauses, or rather total silence!!! :(

Cheers,

Jo

i think also we can be so busy nowadays that, if like me, i log onto somersoft, quickly read the new posts, reply to anything i feel i should/can and then take off for the next project ... like taking junior for swimming lessons in30 mins time.

after that i'll be organising the wireless broadband install, vet for the cat, window cleaner, fix pool light, try to get junior to nap, pick up big kids from school ... somewhere in there i have to talk to council about our current development proposal ... really not time to loiter for a chat.

I pop into the forum and post. Can't chat from work (understandably) and I don't have a computer at home. Maybe a proportion are in a similar situation?

Monopoly said:
Who knows maybe when there is another "boom" and property is all the flavour again, people will actually have something to talk about, but for now it seems the chatroom is filled with a lot of pregnant pauses, or rather total silence!!! :(

Cheers,

Jo

I agree Jo. Ive been a SS member since 1999.....a few webboards before the one we currently have now.

Dear Pitt street,
For me, Ive been chatting for about 2 weeks and found the forum very exciting but I have already identified a problem: Sometimes in a reply, someone raises an important question but no one seems to pick it up. If it is a slightly different topic, are they better off raising it in a new thread to attract more attention and therefore generate more activity?

cloclo said:
Dear Pitt street,
For me, Ive been chatting for about 2 weeks and found the forum very exciting but I have already identified a problem: Sometimes in a reply, someone raises an important question but no one seems to pick it up. If it is a slightly different topic, are they better off raising it in a new thread to attract more attention and therefore generate more activity?

Yes , Id start a new thread. :)

pitt st

lost my ss chatroom virginity this afternoon thanks to this thread! No I didn't smoke a cigarette afterwards. Will try and use it more often

Mark Laszczuk said:
I've been in a few times and no one ever talks....

Mark

Ditto......

I know when i first joined the forum the chatroom was hysterical. People like Jamie and Micheleb had us all in stitches and as Pitt St says around 20 people were there most of the time. I loved the atmosphere, met some wonderful people and have made some life long friends from Somersoft.

Good luck

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Laszczuk said:

Mark

Quite a few of us are logged on most the time, but it doesn't mean we are at the computer all day ;) And sometimes we even do some work:D

Sometimes there is hours with nothing said......just hang in there and someone will talk in time.

And it is a good idea if people say hi when they enter the chat room. That alerts everyone else that someone has joined the chat.

Mark Laszczuk said:

Mark
I have been a member here for some time. Not being very computer literate I could never work out how to access chat. Not that long ago I eventually was able to log on, but have been a bit dissappointed. I can't complain that I have been ignored as there are a few that I have spent time chatting with, but overall there isn't much activity & sitting looking at a blank screen is not really my cup of tea.

hi all

I have been in and out a couple of times but I find it a little difficult to see who has logged on.
so bar posting anyone there every time.
I look if any thing is typed and if not I leave.
It needs to say whos on line.
and the only way for me in is via blizzard and it wont let me change the topic so like most things on the net if you can't get what you want with a minute or two, its off looking someware else.
I think (who ever) needs to change it so its a little more user friendly as they say for me and I'm on the net most days its to hard hence been there four times

Last edited:
Chat room

Pitt St said:
....So, for the majority of forumites who dont chat - why don't you?

Mark :)

Hi Everyone,

I went and had a chat yesterday for the first time in probably 6 months. Had a great time...why not join in :D :p :)

Well you can tell the boom is well and truly over when we've stopped imitating gurus (they were the fun chat days!) and deserted the chat in droves.
I, too, pop in from time to time only to see a list of lurkers with nothing going on. Guess it would help if ppl added _ out or _back at 7pm to their names so we at least have a chance of talking to someone and not ourselves all the time!!!! Or am I being paranoid in that ppl ignore me when I enter..... ;)
Some of us now have other activities to employ our time more now I suppose. Life marches on.
But, I've got to say, some of the funnier laughs I've had at SS have been from the chat- some of you guys are born comedians :)
Bring back the trout slapping I say ;)

Back