Why so cold???

FYI, I've been getting quotes from builders, and with the new 5 star energy rating requirement hoo-hah, for my zoning sub-floor insulation is *compulsary*. I'm looking to build a house up on stumps with a timber floor.

The two prices I've got for the insulation are $1600 and $3300 for a 110sqm house, done by the builder. The third builder doesn't seem to be able to get back with any kind of number without 5 days notice, quite odd.

Not sure if that is any use to you but there's some figures anyway.

under floor insulation

I had the privilidge of working for a forward thinking builder here in Brisbane, and we helped develop different building practices for sustainable housing.
One of the things we did was the installation of Insulaire® see site
http://www.air-cell.com.au/Pages/insulaire.htm
to the joists. We then layed 50mm battens over the joists before laying the flooring.
You could do the same thing by stapling the film to the underside of your joists, remembering to ensure you tape all joins (Lap joins at least 150mm), and tape all penetrations. Generally ot air rises, so this will help stop cold air circulating through, and stop drafts, which is important before looking at artificial heating methods.

Whilst on the subject of drafts-

We had the CSIRO conduct tests on homes to find out where we lost the most heat/cold. What they did was to place a large air heater/ pump within a room, and began filling the rom with heaps of hot air. They then recorded the areas this air escaped from, using in infra red imaging device (Star Trek must be missing theirs). What we found was that most of the air was lost from around the architraves of windows and doors. Unfortunately this becomes a massive job to remove arcs in order to fill cavity betwee door jamb and stud with rockwool.

Unfortunately not much you can do to a house built on stumps, as these types of houses are bult to suit a warmer climate.

Also use heavy drapes, te double backed type to reduce heat transfer through the windows.

just rambling now so i'm off

good luck

Adrien Mamet
www.mametconstructions.com.au

Back