Wine storage at home..

I'e ben intrigued lately, but probalby just another disctraction I should ignore. I'm easily distracted....

I enjoy wine.

I wondered about storing bottles at home, more than 2 or 3 and for more than a week or two.. Lookig into it, if you're going to go for years storage, you ought to keep it pretty well stored.

Have reaad up a bit on wine fridges etc. Seemes the optimum is 18 degrees, steady humidity, low vibration. So of course an underground cellar, like the one I saw in an old charcter home in North Perth, wehre I felt cold wlking into it from outside, woud be ideal... However, very impractical when one lives in multidwelling complex.

Looking at wine fridges, it appears from reviews that not many of them actually stan dup to the demands, some struggling when the room temperature rises, others when the motors powers up etc, others virbrate a bit at times etc..

Surely I'm not the only one whos thought of this, anyone have any suggestions ?

A good friend of mine has six wine fridges and rents a two-bedroom apartment, with one bedroom devoted entirely to the fridges, and has to leave that bedroom's door open permanently to release the phenomenal amount of heat generated by all those fridges despite the constant noise.

Needless to say he doesn't have a girlfriend, is decidely overweight, lives on credit card debt and is looking to import a mail-order wife.

Don't go there unless the rest of your life is in seriously good order, is all I can say.

A good friend of mine has six wine fridges and rents a two-bedroom apartment, with one bedroom devoted entirely to the fridges, and has to leave that bedroom's door open permanently to release the phenomenal amount of heat generated by all those fridges despite the constant noise.

Needless to say he doesn't have a girlfriend, is decidely overweight, lives on credit card debt and is looking to import a mail-order wife.

Don't go there unless the rest of your life is in seriously good order, is all I can say.

LOL Maybe youre right.

I think I'd want to concentrate on wealth building instead and buy 1 small thing I could afford now... Then with the built up wealth, I could get something like this (as part of an even better house and lifestyle).

http://www.athenstoursgreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wine-cellar-3.jpg

Love the look of that room and not only because it is bigger than my whole apartment.

Last edited:
I think you'll be needing a bit more than one small investment to afford THAT!

Still, if one day owning your own massive sandstone wine-tasting cellar will motivate you to become a successful life-long investor, go for it. It's as good a motivation as any.

Me, I just want to make enough to be able to not have to work for other people . . . .

Hehe I meant 1 small wine storage unit I could afford now without getting in the way of wealth building before getting obsessed.

I think I would need a errr truckload of investments for a cellar like that, I don't think they normally build them underneath Dale Alock specials, but can you feel the ambience ?

Feel the ambience. Are you kidding? I can almost freakin' taste it!

Actually, I live in a little sandstone cottage with rough hand-hewn stone walls, and I work in the natural stone manufacturing and installation industry.

You don't have to sell me on natural stone, brother. I adore it!

I have a 72 bottle wine storage fridge that keeps my good stuff at 12 degrees C and 65% humidity.

The 12 dozen or so other bottles are stacked in the wardrobe in my study.

I have a 72 bottle wine storage fridge that keeps my good stuff at 12 degrees C and 65% humidity.

The 12 dozen or so other bottles are stacked in the wardrobe in my study.

What brand of fridge if you dont mind me asking ?

I'm thinking I dont wnt to spend alot, but no point going too cheap and getting something that does not do what it says either

Dont worry man... on this property with a >100sqm cellar, I will have fruit trees, olive trees, and a vega patch to die for. A kitchen worthy of the cleer beneath wher eprocessed crap will be at it's absolute minimum.

Wine and all the other delicacies.. as the saying goes, all in moderation. Quality over quantity.

Of course the likelihood based on both my current investing strategy and succes to date :D mean that this is about a likely a me buying a private jet and a fleet of sports cars...

I wouldn't worry too much...

No, I'm on your wavelength, Jaycee. What we both need is a safe job going forward to be funding this.

So for that, bring your own sawn-off and meet me, Cracker Jack and Littlebomb-Bob outside the CBA on George St at midnight this Friday, aw right?

You sure it's a goer though ?

George St is a long way from home for me, but I'll make the trip if it'd work :D

I've never really done this sort of thing before, but you know I reckon I ca learn on the fly. I hope the others aren't too experienced either, so I'm not too intimidated by them. When we should we plan this for :cool: (it would be eer cooler if that emoticon was wearing a black leather jacket, I'm goinna get a black lether jacket for the job, is it cold enough yet in George St to wear a leather jacket ).

Look, a black leather jacket is not negotiable, got it! I don't know how far away George St is from Perth, but it's gotta be closer than Darwin, so no excuses on the jacket.

Look, a black leather jacket is not negotiable, got it! I don't know how far away George St is from Perth, but it's gotta be closer than Darwin, so no excuses on the jacket.

ah ok, sounds like a fair plan to me... I don't have a sawn off, but reckon I can buy one when I get there off someone ?

man this wine stuff is a lot of work hey

but, I'm up for it, dont get me wrong, let's do this

What brand of fridge if you dont mind me asking ?

I'm thinking I dont wnt to spend alot, but no point going too cheap and getting something that does not do what it says either

My fridge is a 'CyberCool' which is a brand I'd never heard of previously. Bought it off the internet for $450 including delivery. It's been perfect - never missed a beat.

Now look, this is getting really confusing. What are we going for, the Cybercool or the Grays Online knockoff. My head hurts!

Keep your mind on the job man ! Now you're confusing me.

Why do I need a sawn off when we're robbing the bank after hours ?

Back