Wire in Oven and separate cooktop

Hi

Any sparkies out there?

I am putting in a separate oven and cooktop. The oven rates as 0.99kwh and cooktop as 7kwh. In the instructions for the cooktop it recommends 3core 2.5mm cable. (seems low to me).
There is an existing cable (4mm) from the Consumer unit with 30a trip. I will be running from here to an Oven switch (clipsal 30a oven), then down to a junction box where it will connect to the oven and cooktop.
Now in the uk it is preferred to use 6mm cable, but I am guessing not in Oz? I came across an old copy of the AUS/NZ wiring regs and they state only 4mm for an "oven and/or cooktop"

Just wondering how are you supposed to get both cables into the oven switch? the terminals seem too small. The uk switches have two sets of terminals one from the mains and one to the load, but here they all go into the same terminal it seems? I know it's bad practice to juts shave a few strands back of each cable, but how else do they fit? (not actually tried yet, it just looks small).

thanks for any help

Unlike the UK, you're not allowed to do your own wring here in Australia. Get a licenced sparkie to do it.

What ever you do, dont do what you're suggesting.

My best advice to give to you is.

Pay for a licensed Electrician to come and install for you.

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0...on and regulations/COPforsaleofEIproducts.pdf

Please read page 1. Why do we need a code of practice.

Its not just bad practice its very dangerous to shave off strands.

Do you know what happens if you take strands off. The cable is now not protected by its breaker and can cause fires.

Instead of the cable being able to take 30a its now only rated at 16a and still pulling 30a.

This is why Electricians get annoyed. Cause you are not only endangering yourself, but the home owners and everyone that works after you on that house.

Its not just bad practice its very dangerous to shave off strands.

yup understand that - just my phrasing. Hence why i was asking how an electrician manages to get the cable into the switch.

Happy to get an electrician in to do the final connections, as it is a requirement here, but this isn't rocket science and i have performed this many times in the UK (as have background in property). So hopefully I can do most of the prep work myself to save some $. Because to be fair tradies in Oz are ridiculously expensive. (I mean no disrepect - but compared to other countries, well everything is expensive here - even the parts - $25 for a cooker switch:mad:)

The reason i would rather do most of the work is i can't be around to let a tradie into the property, and this just causes me delay in getting it ready.

If it isn't rocket science and you have a 'background in property' then don't come here asking how to wire an oven.

Just cut some strands off, surely you dont need ALL of them, right?

In the instructions for the cooktop it recommends 3core 2.5mm cable. (seems low to me).

Can't you see the disconnect? You say the manufacturer is wrong but you don't know the math. The original leckkie installed a 30A breaker. Having done so why would you assume the wiring he hung off it would be inadequate?

The uk switches have two sets of terminals one from the mains and one to the load, but here they all go into the same terminal it seems?

What would be the point of the switch if that is how you plan to wire it?

I suggest you leave the rocket science and house wiring to someone a little more cluey on these things

Rooster

I rented a house once (as a tenant)

The owner's brother was a medical instrument technician

So, of course, he was 'qualified' to fix the old upright electric stove in the house. After hours. When it suited him. For a tenant with three small children.

The stove managed to short out across the griller

One of the hot plates blew up

The oven didn't know if it was on or off and set fire to the fish and chips keeping warm.

After three after dinner visits from the owner and the brother, I was rather firm with the property manager.

The licensed electrician /appliance technician was in the house for less than ten minutes, with approved parts, rewired everything, and not-so-happily told me I was very lucky that no one had touched the metal side of the stove as it was 'live'

Just remember that the Commonwealth Government thought that any mug could install insulation, too. A few house fires indicated that 'even' installing insulation takes a few smarts, some training, and attention to compliance and health and safety.

My favourite electrician has a 'thing' about electricity and death.

Maybe you should, too.

Cheers
Kristine

Here we go again.
Tradies too expensive, so are spare parts.

Yet another DIY Electrician.
Pay the cost of a Sparky and keep your insurance clean. Don't risk electrocution to either yourself or someone else, or cause a fire.

When is the world going to wake up to this. Electricity is a silent killer.
No - I won't give you an answer to what size cable you should use or how to connect it.

Hi

Any sparkies out there?

From the rest of your post its obvious you have not a clue what your doing so get a sparky.
The 4mm is for the oven, your going to need a new cable for the cooktop. I'm guessing you have gone from gas to electric cooktop?
May need to upgrade switchboard, and if your really unlucky perhaps the mains into the house.

wow, thanks all for your very helpful comments.
I have asked 2 questions on this forum and been berated in both, I have to say that this seems to be the least friendly forum i have ever joined. What's the point of having a forum unless people can be civil and give advice. There is no call for being rude whilst doing it.
Many of you also only focused on certain points and missed the fact that i has already pointed out that i was happy to get a sparky in, but wanted to do as much a possible myself to lower the costs. I can only imagine some of you get a tradie in just to change a lightbulb in your IP's!
Admittedly I was very incorrect on the switch, as having looked at it closer the difference is obvious between Uk switches and here (double pole/single etc). I will say again just INCASE YOU CAN"T READ -I WILL GET A SPARKY TO DO THE CONNECTIONS. However i have a lot of cutting out to do, rerender etc and would rather have it all prepared before hand so that it doesn't hold up the rest of the kitchen going in.

Please - if you have nothing of value to add or you do not wish to be helpful, then please just don't comment.

Back