Word of caution for the newbies.

Davo76 it's good you brought this thread back to life.

Some people said XYZ was going to happen (crashing house prices), but when you look at what really happened it was ABC.

Yep....we are seeing some parts of the market consolidating or falling....but it is not like 20% drops. Yet some doomsayers are saying it is the end for property....this is just a normal cycle in the market.

From my perspective across the 5 capital cities:

Sydney, Wollongong/Shellharbour, Newcastle/Hunter - the market best placed to rebound strongly due to strong rental demand and low supply. Possible to find yields at 7-8%.

Melbourne, Geelong - market still consolidating but some areas around Geelong are looking attractive. The real issue is getting yields past 6%

Adelaide - steady and soft market, potentially good buying but yields not good at about 5-5.5%

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast - falling prices, good buying buy yields above 5.5% are hard to find. GC and Sunshine coast are disasters from a real estate perspective.

Perth - falling prices, yields are poor.

Is there any reason why I am investing in NSW?

Having said that all these markets will recover at some point. But NSW offers the best propect for CG and the yields support investing there.:D

Davo76 it's good you brought this thread back to life.

Some people said XYZ was going to happen (crashing house prices), but when you look at what really happened it was ABC.

I am writing this for all the People new to these forums and Property investing. (Myself included)

I believe at the moment people on these forums can be roughly broken down into three groups.

1# the newbie or soon to be Property investor looking for guidance or information.
2# the seasoned investor with one or more property cycles under their belt.
3#and the emerging group of negative posters hell bent on portraying Property investing in a bad light.
Now I’m not talking about people saying turbulent times are coming. This is something I think all of us agree on.
I’m talking about the people who seem to want the market to crash and want to see mum and dad investors lose everything. They seem to be getting satisfaction from the current slow down and appear to be trying to change sentiment in an attempt to control the market’s direction. What their motivation is to even be on these forums is a mystery to me.These people to provide some service because they show the negatives to investing and show you where to show caution and do more research. Use them for this but thats it i say.

You know what. I hate golf. So it would come as no surprise that you will never catch me on a golfing forum. This cannot be said for a few trolling these forums at the moment.

I bring this up because if you are a genuine member here and have been for some time. These people are easy to spot and therefore ignore. But the newbie’s may not know this and therefore think any response they read is a genuine person wanting to help. This is not always the case.

There are many people on this forum who have seen it all and genuinely have a lot to offer. They will tell you the good and bad points and where they have gone wrong over the years. Also where they have succeeded. These are the people to look for. I thank these people for sharing their experiences and I hope to be in a similar situation later in life so I can come on these forums and share my stories. Both good and bad.

The fact remains you are on here because you have chosen or you are considering using property to increase your wealth. Don’t let people sway you with their own bitter spin on things. There is no doubt that the market has changed and the market direction over the next 5 years is anyone’s guess .So I say take on board all HONEST information on offer. Do you own research and use the information available here to help you achieve this.

You can throw this post back in my face if you wish but i have been on here for about a year. And during the last few months i have noticed not everyone is on here to help.Sad really.Look for the good guy and watch out for that 1 % who are not here to help.

thanks for the heads up mate

I started this thread some time back when there was a lot of attacks on this forum. Mostly from the site g.h.p.c . A site you dare not mention back before it got so toxic that it closed.
Things have calmed down a bit now with trolls being a little more sneaky these days.
That said there are s few on here that are labelled trolls unfairly. They would invest if they felt the timing was right. While a bit heavy on the negatives these people still have a lot to offer.
As I have always said. Take the time to read through this forum and get your bearings. In time with a clear goal in your head you will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
There is a lot to learn here.

I started this thread some time back when there was a lot of attacks on this forum. Mostly from the site g.h.p.c . A site you dare not mention back before it got so toxic that it closed.
Things have calmed down a bit now with trolls being a little more sneaky these days.
That said there are s few on here that are labelled trolls unfairly. They would invest if they felt the timing was right. While a bit heavy on the negatives these people still have a lot to offer.
As I have always said. Take the time to read through this forum and get your bearings. In time with a clear goal in your head you will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
There is a lot to learn here.

I think a big part of the issue is accepting that on any forum, indeed in any community, there will be people who disagree. That means some people will post up stuff I disagree with, and I will post up stuff that others disagree with.

The best threads here are the ones with vigorous argument, that DON'T get personal, but rather focus on really debating the issue at hand. I'll happily admit that I've learnt a shedload from being shown to be wrong.

I say we keep it up, and focus on trying to play the ball rather than the man.

(Anyone who disagrees with me here feel free to post accordingly!)

The Age

Has anyone read the public comments on the Age website with respect to any Property price piece, so many haters, constantly calling Property investors greedy and hoping prices plummet, there is alot of negative sentiment towards PI's, I just dont see how wanting to get ahead in life is a bad thing. Would these people not accept a payrise from the job based on principle?

Has anyone read the public comments on the Age website with respect to any Property price piece, so many haters, constantly calling Property investors greedy and hoping prices plummet, there is alot of negative sentiment towards PI's, I just dont see how wanting to get ahead in life is a bad thing. Would these people not accept a payrise from the job based on principle?

Property investors privately gloated and publicly called investors in Storm greedy too. Comes with the territory.

You do realise you're in Australia yea?

I lost my innocence when I found out about Australia and it's problem with 'tall poppy syndrome'. It's truly sad that the only people allowed to do well are sportsmen.
:(
I stay here for the sunshine

I lost my innocence when I found out about Australia and it's problem with 'tall poppy syndrome'. It's truly sad that the only people allowed to do well are sportsmen.
:(
I stay here for the sunshine

I've always held the view the next countries to go through revolutions is the western world - as in class warfare (down with greedy landlords, down with free riders, down with businesspeople)

I wonder how many of the haters are home owners?

These people will no doubt happily accept loading on their holiday pay and earn more per hour for not even being at work, and take sickies when not sick; just because they're there to take, or whine at the cops for giving them a speeding ticket....when they were speeding.....

That wouldn't be like the human race to want it all their own way, now would it?

Back