Worried about Property Manager

Recently the PM had sent a letter to say I could increase my rent. They also had just contacted me regarding that the tenant is keen to sign another 6 month - 1 year lease. I got back to them and said I would like to have them on a new 1 year lease but I would like the rent to go up $20 (probably pushing it a little). The place is negative after strata and rates etc. They agreed and pointed out I had not increased the rent yet. This person was new to me as I have had many PM's shuffled along with been shoved over to a new agent on a merge. This person seemed like a young woman and not that experienced but maybe ambitious. She was nice enough to me but I'm worried about her attitude towards the tenant (who was the previous owner).

Anyway I called her today as they had still not got back to me after 4-5 days and they said they had talked to the tenant about a new lease and a rent increase (not sure why they had not contacted me). She said the tenant was not happy about it and the PM implied the tenant said sarcastically that the other tenants in the building are not paying this and she would think about it (lease expires next week). My unit is the best in the building as it gets good views though and she has a little dog so it's not easy to find places).

So I said that's not very good to hear as I want to keep them rather than having to find new tenants. She said that she told the tenant that the rent will be going up anyway. Obviously she is more interested in looking after me ( I do have other property with them too) but I'm not liking her tone and attitude towards this tenant ( think of a bunch of snotty nosed girls sitting around gossiping) . :rolleyes:

The previous PM, the one I had singed up with originally was very good at talking to people and getting on their level. This young woman sounds tackles and seems to see tenants as inferior. I rent a place myself to live in and I know what it's like to be a tenant.

I told her that I would like her to negotiate with her and try to work it out.

But after thinking about it for a few hours I have contacted the manager of the agency who is away and I hope he will get back to me as I'm going to ask he puts someone else in charge of my properties. I have also been thinking about contacting the tenant myself and doing away with the agents as they have been pretty appalling to be honest but I get a good rate and if I go with another agency I guess I would have to pay new letting fees etc for each property.

If you prefer to keep the current tenant i'd email the PM and get her to offer a 6mth lease with $10pw increase. Meet halfway, you can increase it again by $10pw after 6mths which takes the sting out.

I prefer long term tenants who look after the property at the cost of jacking up the rent too frequently/too much and churning tenants. This avoids vacancys, high wear & tear, re-letting fees and the teething problems all new tenants seem to have and want stuff fixed or improvements made.

Do the sums, if your getting $300pw a 2 week vacancy will cost you $900 (1 week let fee + 2 weeks rent) which is more than a $10pw rent increase ($520). Plus the new tenant might be a lot worse. Also do a search on realestate.com.au for property similar to yours and see what the market's paying.

I prefer you to contact the tenant directly and look into the matter by yourself .

Only if you intend on no longer using a PM. There is no point in paying a PM if you are going to negotiate directly with a tenant.

Make one contact to the tenant and they will be coming to you directly in the future too...

Back