Would it be worth going for a valuation?

Hi,

I bought my first home in July last year. It's a 2BR villa in Mount Druitt. Purchase price was $190k (deposit was 5%). I did renovations to the property like replacement of the kitchen and laundry tiles, repainting the whole place, new blinds and other maintenance work. Spent around $5k all up doing the property. I rented it out in April 2011 on $310 per week - which I find might have been be the highest rent I could get at the time (perhaps still is). The property is 10 minutes walk from the Westfield and 15 minutes from the station.

I understand the comparables for the property might be going around $220k - $230k. I wanted to go to the bank for a re-val to top up the loan so I can take out around $18k or so for the next investment property.

I wanted to know what the thoughts are about the re-val of this property? I'm reading how the valuers have been very negative and conservative. What do you think?

I'm 25 and am on very close to a six figure income. I was thinking of getting a re-val anyway regardless of how it goes, because it will give me some idea of my next steps (either being able to use that 18k to buy the next one or saving up more and getting a re-val).

Appreciate your opinions!

I think you almost answered your own question towards the end. Get the valuation done and you know where you stand. It's close enough to 12 months that the majority of lenders should have an issue. Ensure they are aware of improvements and note them on the valuation request.

Regards
Steve

How does a Val request affect your CRAA? Must it be done as part of a finance request in all cases? A loan I am considering a top up for is with st George

Hi Gargamel

Only some lenders will allow the up front val.

I believe recently St George will do it through some brokers.

Many lenders put you through an app process and THEN do the val..............dumb in a flat or softening market.

Sooner or later most valuers will get a clue, my problem is that VALEX ends up getting most of this work, and the quaility of vals appears to suffer with this process, because they seem to be oushing out the smaller vals cos, for the sausage factories where protection of the firms PI appears to be paramount

ta
rolf

Thanks All. Sorry checked the forum just last night. I've asked for a valuation. Yep it's St George so had to put in an application. There will be a credit check for sure. Lets see how it goes. Market has been suppressed so not sure how it will pan out :)

Back