Would you accept this offer?

I've had a year in advance offered before, can be innocent reasons such as they have just sold their house and don't have any better ideas for the money, also know many potentially excellent tenants who can't get a look in as they are new to the country with no rent history. Flipside is that the truly horrible tenants nobody wants are likely to be mainly in this space as well (no positive rent history)

I've had a year in advance offered before, can be innocent reasons such as they have just sold their house and don't have any better ideas for the money, also know many potentially excellent tenants who can't get a look in as they are new to the country with no rent history. Flipside is that the truly horrible tenants nobody wants are likely to be mainly in this space as well (no positive rent history)

Thanks, Andrew.
I did proceed with the newly weds...
Will be sure to do a routine inspection within 3 months to make sure they are looking after the property.

6 months later...

So this tenant who paid 6 months rent in advance is now moving out and it looks like my 18-month old granny flat will need internal re-paint! Scuff marks everywhere along with some patched up holes... :mad:

All in all, accepting the 6 months in advance was not a bad thing.
Many parents get their children into trouble with landlords, ex: when they tried to get them to change their offer to 3 months.

You have their bond. Take lots of before and after pics..and repaint the property.
Let them take you to court, if they want to fight it.
If you didn't have pics before they moved in, you have a condition report, that doesn't say anything about scruff marks on the walls.

Back