Would you buy a house 1 street away from power lines?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys think in terms of buying houses near powerlines? If a house is say 1 street away from large power lines (not just street power lines) but they are not visible directly from the house, will that impact on the values and capital growth of the home? The home seems to be slightly cheaper than the rest in the suburb (but this may be due to the seller's situation), but there have been sales in the same street which are 'normal' for the suburb.

The powerlines are about 400m away from the home, but not directly visible from ground level. Are you supposed to treat this as a main road situation?

Otherwise the home is in a good area owner occupied with schools and shops nearby.

Went to a few sites near powerlines, immediate reaction was no

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys think in terms of buying houses near powerlines? If a house is say 1 street away from large power lines (not just street power lines) but they are not visible directly from the house, will that impact on the values and capital growth of the home? The home seems to be slightly cheaper than the rest in the suburb (but this may be due to the seller's situation), but there have been sales in the same street which are 'normal' for the suburb.

The powerlines are about 400m away from the home, but not directly visible from ground level. Are you supposed to treat this as a main road situation?

Otherwise the home is in a good area owner occupied with schools and shops nearby.

Be cautious mortgage pending type of powerlines/station you might not be able to have LMI so <80% and remember this also for resale as knocks out alot of the market.

If you are asking this question then you can bet every purchaser, tenant, bank, valuer and joe bloggs will be asking it and most likely put off.

Cheers

House near me that backs onto a powerline easement comes up for rent regularly. It also went up for sale. Neither the western sydney rental nor housing boom would shift it quickly.

Not for me either.

The valuer might give it a high risk rating too - and as Brady eluded to, could have implications on the LVR that banks will go up to.

Cheers

Jamie

We were going to purchase a property that had TWO high voltage, power lines running through the backyard.

NUP DIDN'T BUY SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THAT. !!!

Absolutely NO.
I would buy on a main road because I know this is a secondary location, but it will sell at perhaps 10-20% less, however power lines, how low will it go, no one knows, also not everyone wants to rent near major power line, fear of cancer etc.

Does anyone know how to see/check the city map (eg. Melbourne), with a powerline lines on it?

Try to google one, but unable to find one.

Back