Would you live in a Tsunami affected area?

Olly said:
Imagine the size of the wave if a HUGE chunk of land slipped into the sea!

Geologists having researched the entire world for likely spots that this will happen have chosen the island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands off the coast of North Africa as the most likely place and it can happen anytime from now. It's a definite - it's going to happen - it's just a matter of when. The island is made up of 2 volcanos - 1 active and 1 inactive and there is a massive fault line running about 20kms across the island. They explored the inactive volcano to discover clues as to the cause and found that volcanos hold a lot of water that is trapped in 'dams' made from the vertical columns of hardened lava from previous eruptions. With heat, water expands, breaks through the 'dam walls' and chunks of the volcano slide/fall off.

Cheers
Olly
On a geological timeframe this Tsunami was not even a large one, http://www.xs4all.nl/~mke/exitmundi.htm is a very interesting site. There is a tsunami link on the left hand side.

"And there's more disturbing news. If the Doomsday Wave kicks in, it'll be end of story for the US East Coast. New York City: gone. Boston: washed away. Florida, Miami, the Bahamas -- all history. Oh, several hundreds of years may pass before the Super Wave rolls in. But on the other hand, it could happen next month as well."

"And La Palma? Only recently scientists realised that the ideal conditions for the next landslide exist on the island. Actually, in 1949, an eruption of the Cumbre Vieja almost triggered the La Palma disaster. The volcano erupted, the weaker half of the island dropped down four meters -- and halted. It was only in the nineties geologists realised what a close call it really was."

They haven't updated their tsunami page since the disaster.

Blitzkrieg said:
Tsunami? What ever happened to a good ol'fashioned "tidal wave"?

Just a Blitzkrieg musing......

Last month a tornado ripped through my daughters suburb, (Hinchinbrook near Liverpool), but weather people were loathe to call it that because of the connotations it holds so called it a willy willy instead. I wondered at the time if they suppressed the danger of it or the fact it even happened as only the local papers picked it up and a there was a brief mention on Channel 10 in the evening. Maybe it was the thinking - Tornado? in Hinchinbrook? No Way! We'll call it a willy willy.

But it was definitely a tornado not a willy willy or wild storm. In fact, I was in a training session at the time and during a break we were standing outside smoking (yeah yeah I know) and we all commented on the black clouds coming in from 2 directions and causing a downward funnel/spout. I even made the comment "if you didn't know any better you'd think we were looking at a tornado". 30 mins later I got an emergency call from my daughter asking me to pick the kids up from daycare and keep them overnight because of the damage and she told me what happened.

My daughter was home at the time and took cover under her kitchen benchtop. There was no preceding storm just a roaring sound and a massive wind that swept through and was all over in minutes. She lost tiles off the roof, but the most damage was caused by next door who lost all their roof and the tiles that were thrown through my grandchildrens bedroom window (the entire room and all their clothes/possessions had to be replaced) and they would have been killed had they been asleep in their beds. The tiles punched holes in her pergola which is still to be fixed and garbage bins and sheds etc ended up in her garden from streets away. As my daughters house was the only one that sustained glass damage within the block, (windows, mirrored sliding wardrobe doors etc) we can only surmise that the glass from my granchildrens bedroom was the glass that ended up on next doors roof and in their garden, as they sustained no damage at all. That was some wind that picked that up and blew it about! It was followed by heavy rain for about 30 mins then disappeared as if it never happened.

The newspaper article is here - http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1139&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

That's my daughters green shed in the background and the guy pictured is the one who lost his roof.

Just a random act of nature happening in a place not usually known for this type of weather activity.

Was it the Twilight Zone show that used to have the tag "Expect the Unexpected".

Cheers
Olly

Aceyducey said:
OK,

I'm an optimist by nature, but let's talk realistically about a tsunami warning system...

1) We can detect tsunamis at an early stage with around 40% accuracy within two hours of analysis with current technologies (if they were implemented). (yes I've done some research on the topic)

Let's assume that in the next few years we can raise this to 80% within one hour.

2) Once the tsunami is detected and confirmed the regional warning system has to contact the appropriate people responsible for each area likely to be affected. Let's say it takes 30 minutes to reach these people and notify them of the tsunami....of course this assumes there are no hold-ups, no-one crucial is away and telecommunications systems work to 1st world levels.

3) The people responsible have to get the message out to emergency services, inhabitants & tourists. Within 30 minutes with a perfect organisation they can get the word to radio stations & TV stations and onto the air. Within an hour they can have all the emergency services in position on stand-by - assuming again no delays, first world communications standards, that everyone understands it's not a hoax, etc.

Thus within only two hours of a disaster we have broadcasts going out notifying people in affected areas what is happening and within 2.5 hours emergency services can start co-ordinating evacuations.....

Not too bad as a best case....realistically considering breakdowns in systems it would take 4-5 hours to get warnings out, and some governments would not issue warnings at all, but let's stick to this best case.

NOW

4) How long does it take to evacuate people from affected areas?

The US stopped gaming large area evacuations in the 1960s because it was realised that there was no effective way to evacuiate a reasonably-sized area in under a week - and you can only do that with 4 weeks preparation.

Also evacuations (according to US military gaming) had the potential to cause higher casualties as people funnel into areas where it is more dangerous while leaving the area, plus possibilities of riots and other unpleasant events.

So in the absolute best case, I can't see there be an effective way to warn people about tsunamis for anyone living within 4 hours of the tsunami's origin.

For greater distances the warning may potentially increase the death toll due to panic, confusion, traffic jams & people filtering through areas which may take more damage than if they remained at home.

So is having a tsunami warning system about feeling we're doing something or does it actually provide value?

I'm sceptical about a tsunami warning system. I'd like to see the money dedicated to problems with clearer solutions.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

As usual Aceyduecy raises a valid point.

We often think we know what to do in an emergency having watched TV and being intelligent beings.

But do we really react to warnings?

Are we trained to know what to do when confronted with a uncontrolable and massive risk?

The reality is we are often confused and make wrong decisions. We also dont believe.

I subscribe to the theory that potential disasters are more common that we think and it is human reaction and training combined with luck that influences the level of loss.

Personally I have experienced:

Coffs Harbour Cyclone Warning around 1994.

It was a Saturday arvo and wife and I had retired for a nap (yes we have no children but it really was a nap) and them decided to watch video. Oblivious to the outside world until my business partner called to ask “Had we prepared”. We went out and packed a few things away but not really sure what to do or where to go, if at all.

Had I responded correctly? No. Why? I had no sense of danger and no training or advice on what to do. We were not locals and didn’t know what a cyclone could do.

Would a warning system helped? NO…unless it was recorded phone message to all but I assume that would block the wires anyway.

So as you can read it is not that simple as sending out an alert.

I know many people actually went to the beach to check out the water spouts. Also many did hear and fear the risk and in the general panic caused a number of car accidents as parents rushed to pick up kids from sports, buy provisions and such.

In the end it never came and was down graded to a severe storm so mostly became a talking point at parties. But when you see the preparation and mass evacuation the US does in Florida obviously they know the real risk.

As for Tsunami’s, having seen the risk on TV and news I would rush to higher ground if a warning came, especially as we lived close to the beach and a coastal creek at the time.

1998 Sydney Hailstorm

How many of you have seen the news saying hail as big as golfballs and thought, yeah, a bit of artistic license here? I did until this storm.

Typical early evening about 8:30pm that was hot and changing to storm very quickly. Was watching TV and no warning came on air despite having hit Wollongong and Southern Suburbs. I understand some radios had sent a warning but who listens to the radio at night? Also some announcers were very cynical of the reports coming in.

Would I have responded? Maybe to my car but it is parked in the street anyhow so where can I put it? Like many I would have put a blanket over the car.

Well, ….blankets don’t stop golfballs. The first rocks hit nearby roofs so hard they ( the rocks) exploded. I thought someone’s gas bottle had gone up. After five more we realized what it was and that it was too late to do anything.

Our brand new car enjoyed $10k of damage with every panel dinted but we lost no glass. Had we parked three spaces down the road, where cars were not as protected, we would have lost windows and suffered water damage like our neighbors. Their $20k car was written off.

We suffered $7k damage to roof and skylight smashed. Again luck plays a part. Our skylight is over the shower so the rain did not matter. Next door neighbor has five skylights, two over bedrooms and one over a hallway. Lots of water damage and celing collapse.

All done in ten minutes.

Yet whilst Surry Hills was pummeled, 1km away in Ultimo and Pyrmont it was a non-event. The entire eastern suburbs were hit yet amazingly no-one was killed or hurt seriously. Now when I hear Hailstorm I prepare but those who didn’t live through it don’t understand the fuss. Would you?

Afterwards us neighbors went outside to inspect and it looked like a war zone. Not long after the storm the nearby Drama Theater finished. A hundred patrons came out to dozens of cars with alarms wailing and full of water and stripped leaves.

Some didn’t believe our story as they hadn’t heard a thing. Having not seen it they simply could not understand. It was clear skies and all the water had run away by then. Except that water sitting half way up car doors from the inside.

Had the storm been say 50km out to sea no-one would have cared or known. Had it been restricted to say National Park or lesser populated area again it would not had even made the news. Circumstances.

Despite talk and Multi $M’s of damage and years of repairs Sydney still doesn’t have a coherent hailstorm warning system. They can track it and predict it but they have no system of telling everyone.

I can only imagine the shock and danger the Canberra Bushfires causes. Yet how many times do you see some fool in thongs and shorts with a garden hose saying I staying to defend my home? And you even get sightseerers

So I write this in support of Acey comments that being wise after the event is easy. The reality is it takes training, and coordination to reduce loss and often both are lacking in an emergency of massive scale.

And as time passes the risk is forgotten until next time.

Peter 147

Last edited:
Peter 147 said:
We often think we know what to do in an emergency having watched TV and being intelligent beings.
I can only imagine the shock and danger the Canberra Bushfires causes. Yet how many times do you see some fool in thongs and shorts with a garden hose saying I staying to defend my home? And you even get sightseerers
There were warnings for the Canberra bushfires- as long as you tuned in on the radio to ABC AM (and later one FM station). People like me who were very close to the bushfires (I was at work two suburbs away from a suburb alight, but didn't know) had access to Internet and TV, but there were no warnings on either medium.

In that case, a TV warning would have alerted me to get away earlier. As it was, it was only my boss coming in which alerted me to the fanger. The building I was working in only survived thanks to intense water bombing.

Well said Peter!

Obviously this is on a much smaller scale, but every Friday at work the emergency alarms are tested, preceded by an explanation that it is a test only. Every Friday all the staff take great delight in imitating the alarm as it is tested (everyone knows it is a "beep beep" and then the next test is a "whoop whoop"). Last time the alarms were sounded for real, everyone looked at one another blankly, then imitated the alarms, laughed and kept working. Just as Peter said, people take no notice unless they have been through the 'real deal' previously.

Ali G said:
Well said Peter!

Obviously this is on a much smaller scale, but every Friday at work the emergency alarms are tested, preceded by an explanation that it is a test only. Every Friday all the staff take great delight in imitating the alarm as it is tested (everyone knows it is a "beep beep" and then the next test is a "whoop whoop"). Last time the alarms were sounded for real, everyone looked at one another blankly, then imitated the alarms, laughed and kept working. Just as Peter said, people take no notice unless they have been through the 'real deal' previously.

Ali G
Hi.
The rule in some workplaces is that staff are not to leave when the evacuation sound is heard but are to wait for an announcement by the Fire Brigade or the Building Warden. This is because business does not want interruptions caused by false alarms.

I walked out of the local big shopping centre recently when the evacuation sound was sounding, but shoppers were still being allowed to stream in, use lifts etc. I had enough time to obtain and consume a drink from a shop in a nearby street while the Brigade arrived and turned off the alarms.

What I am saying is that non-compliance with alarms is actively encouraged.

After an emergency that results in loss of life there is always speculation as to why people did not take notice of alarms - the answer is that they were trained not to.
LPlate

Timing is critical to whether warnings are given and heeded.

It is not clear that the Yanks got warning before the Pearl Harbour attack, but I believe they did. But it was Xmas and who could the radio guys tell?

On a much smaller scale in late '98 a low pressure system (rain depression, semi-cyclone) parked about 50k North of townsville and dumped steady rain on the town for hours. It started to get serious well before midnight but by then all local TV and radio stations had switched to southern relays. The "most" local radio station did not switch back to it's local studio until 3am. Too little too late.

We suffered one drowning death and the first thing most knew of the flooding was when their feet got wet. The sun rose on a scene of devistation.

Back to the current disaster, the seismology station in Hawaii KNEW there would be such waves but had no-one to tell. Without satellite enabled fire detectors/alarms we will remain at the mercy of things that happen at an inconvenient time or place.

Such is life and death.

T

Olly said:
Geologists having researched the entire world for likely spots that this will happen have chosen the island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands off the coast of North Africa as the most likely place and it can happen anytime from now. It's a definite - it's going to happen - it's just a matter of when.
Not everyone agrees that it's definite.

Tidal Wave Threat Over-Hyped

GP

Back