Would you rent to?

Would you rent to:

• Couples (no kids, so includes DINKS, empty nesters, and so on)

Votes: 50 96.2%
  • Families (mum, dad, 2.2 kids, etc)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Single parents + kids

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Students (persons obviously at a local educational institution, be they males and/or females)

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Groups of individuals (no suggestion of any form of relationship other than friends)

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Young females (<25 years old)

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Young males (<25 years old)

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Persons who have a work income, but the nature of it is not permanent or it is uncertain

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Gays and/or Lesbians

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Unattractive people

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • Persons of strong religious belief

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • Less-abled persons

• Persons from ethnic or indigenous groups

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Elderly persons (>65 years old)

• Persons with apparent or suspected illicit drug habits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smokers

• Pet Owners (of animals that can run around either inside or out, ie cats, dogs, etc)

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Persons whose major source of income is welfare (of whatever kind)

• Members of local automobile (eg. motorcycle) clubs

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Persons with a criminal history

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a list of 20 options for potential tenants.

The question is - which of these individuals / groups would you rent to?

Mark

btw. I realise that this poll has the potential to be very contentious. I am aware of a variety of anti-discrimination legislation that exists in Australia and am not condoning any action in contravention of that legislation. Irrespective of the existence of that legislation, we are all human and therefore cannot escape our own internal biases or preferences. For the record, I am not looking to cause WW3. :eek:

Mark oh Mark :D

This will fire some things up. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on making it a mutiple poll. The percentages are skewed but still better than nothing.

FYI I took the approach if I had a suitable IP would I rent to market segment. Yes to most.

Peter 147

Opps, takeit back the percentage are sensible.

18 have voted so 18 out of 18 (which is gay and lesbians) is 100%.

I won't influence others with the 0%.

Peter 147

if they pay on time and look after the place it is no business of mine what their personal beliefs, history or income scource is. i have pets at home, so as long as they keep the place tidy, why shouldn't my tenants enjoy the small pleasure of owing a cat or dog?

although i did balk at drug dealers/users and smokers (phew!)

Very interesting results. It helps to be practical and be realistic in avoiding problems and in mis-matching tenants to properties because it might lead to increased tenant turnover, arrears and conflict, hence more costs.
The awkward decision for me was what sort of property to apply the questions to. Unit, house, 2 storey, single storey, etc.
Naturally, with pets, there could be problems with a unit.
With over 65's, problems could come from stairs or a 1/2 acre backyard.
Some ethnic groups might not see out a lease in Cronulla right now.
But, the poll questions are clever and provide some very interesting comparisons. Thank you for this post.
cheers
crest133

Yes to most. I don't care what they look like, or their religious beliefs. My No 1 priority is how well they take care of my property. I would prefer non-smokers, but sometimes that is omitted from applications.

Commonsense would of course prevail as you would not rent an executive type residence with a huge rent to someone on the dole, however a small cheaper home should be affordable. Similar you would not rent a unit to someone with a great dane, but a house with a large fenced yard would be fine.

lizzie said:
if they pay on time and look after the place it is no business of mine what their personal beliefs, history or income scource is. i have pets at home, so as long as they keep the place tidy, why shouldn't my tenants enjoy the small pleasure of owing a cat or dog?

although i did balk at drug dealers/users and smokers (phew!)

I'm with you here all the way, Lizzie :)
Though the criminal history part concerns me- depends on what it was for.

Pitt St,
good line up of tenants,i went for Groups of Individuals, every example pose different
risk profiles,as long as they pay the rent and look after the property then
what they do inside or outside is up to them..
good luck
willair..

willair said:
Pitt St,
good line up of tenants,i went for Groups of Individuals
Willair,

You do realise it was a multiple choice poll don't you? :eek: You didn't "just" go for "Groups of Individuals" did you, that would have excluded every other applicant category by default. :eek:

:p
Michael.

Michael,
yes i did, the only properties that we still hold suit groups of individuals
one has six bedrooms, the other 5,and a 2 bedroom ,and from my
personal experience every house is set up for that target market.
groups of individuals, who do you rent to michael and what is your
experience like everyone else it will be different..
good luck
willair

willair said:
Michael,
yes i did, the only properties that we still hold suit groups of individuals
one has six bedrooms, the other 5,and a 2 bedroom ,and from my
personal experience every house is set up for that target market.
groups of individuals, who do you rent to michael and what is your
experience like everyone else it will be different..
good luck
willair
Willair,

I've sold my IPs now to buy my PPOR, so am IP free. I'll get back into IPs soon and am looking around and sussing things out at the moment. But, previously I rented to "whomever would pay what I was asking". I didn't discriminate on any grounds. They were units so pets were out though due to corporate body rules out of my control.

Cheers,
Michael.

This, I have to say, surprised and dissapointed me:

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. This poll is closed

Why so few responses?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Was it that there was too many options?

Sorry, but I couldn't be bothered clicking 20 boxes!

Or was it that in this age of political correctness there was a reluctance to vote for which tenants you did / did not prefer?

What other possible reasons for this low vote could there be?

Lets assume that apathy was not the reason behind the low vote. We do seem to like our polls, after all....

Recent polls on the number of IPs you own, your net worth, and your annual income recieved 218, 201 and 243 replies respectively.

Why such a high response rate?

Is it because saying (anonymously) that you have 20 IPs, $5 m net worth and $300k in annual income is more socially acceptable than saying (anonymously) that you won't rent to gay couples or ethnic minorities?

Does political correctness extend into our "closet activities"?

(It was an anon poll, you're hardly proclaiming to the world - "I am a homophobic racist!")

Even more confusing to me is that alot of forum members (myself included at times) post details of property deals and/or other personal financial information on this forum.

Sure we hold back all the details - but anyone with the inclination to join the dots could get a very good picture of the financial status of certain individuals on this forum.

While I admire their openess, it begs the question - are we niave enough to think that ATO officials are unaware of this site?

And finally, to return to my original point....

Do we fear the wrath of the Human Rights Commissioner more than we fear that of the Commissioner of Taxation?

While I wouldn't wish for either of them to be on my back - if I had to choose I can assure you it wouldn't be Michael Carmody.

Mark

While I wouldn't wish for either of them to be on my back - if I had to choose I can assure you it wouldn't be Michael Carmody.

Pitt St,
For me the answer is both,but the HRC is the one that does worry me,
you have to that carefull what you say these days..
Thanks for all your Posts this year,they have taught me to look again
outside the box..
good luck
willair..

Personally I am very liberal and living in Surry Hills it is probably 50% gay.

I voted based on if I had a suitable property so I gave a lot of votes.

If I voted on based on actual IP’s I would have voted less as they only suit particular profiles.

If you asked who would I prefer to rent to out of all it is would:

Gay Couple : Lesbians preferred.

Why girls?

Gay guys are usually clean freaks but like rave parties and sadly don’t have long relationships. The grass is always greener.

Girls are again usually clean freaks but life bond for longer and settle down especially when in the 30’s.

Peter 147

Back