would you trade 1mil in jewlery for a 1mil property

would you trade 1mil in jewlery for a 1mil property

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hi all
simple question
If you could pick and keep 1mil in retail jewlery
would you trade a 1 mil property with the opportunity to trade that jewlery back in 6 months for 1 mil in cash.
all with valuation if need be for this exercise.

If it retail jewellry from Michael Hill i would say no.
the retail markup on jewellry is about 500%. That is why you can buy it for 50% off!

I think I will keep my real estate.

"Property is a girl's best friend..."

I would be buying property, leverage, growth, (Equity!) rental return and IRR...I don't do jewellery....need to stick to what I know best so far-so good...I would buy, (I am!), property, and hold it close to my bosom....and let it work it's magic.

hi all
simple question
would you trade a 1 mil property with the opportunity to trade that jewlery back in 6 months for 1 mil in cash.

Huh?

I choose $1 Million worth of jewellry and trade you for it, with a property valued at $1 Million

Six months later I trade you the jewellry back for $1 Million in Ca$h

Is that correct?

How about skipping a step and trading you a property valued at $1 Million for $1 Million in Ca$h, save six months :D

Sorry GR, just trying to work out the logic here :confused:

If it retail jewellry from Michael Hill i would say no.
the retail markup on jewellry is about 500%. That is why you can buy it for 50% off!

I think I will keep my real estate.

Jewellery for me since it's marked up by 500%.

No property would go up by 500% that quickly!

I would then use my 500% profit to buy some property though. :p

hi all
its simple poll forget about cost gst or even just give me the 1 mil cash
you can do the 1 mil cash if you think about it or as redwing says get your head around it
but my question is from a mind set point of view if this was proposed would you do it
as buyer or seller
I thought it was a simple question
and rewing
have a read of a slight edge and it seems we all want to cut bits out to make things done faster trouble is the bits you cut are required to be there to get the end result.
the leaves of a rose are just the green bits but if you cut them off the rose dies and then its a stump not a rose.
with anything there is a procedure and you can't cut bit out or the system doesn't work
but thats a very different post
this is a very simple poll and try to answer it on the question not added or cut bits

ah - i think i voted wrong because i didn't understand the question. i thought it was "if i had $1mil in jewelry would i trade it for $1mil in property".

if that was the question, then yes, in a heartbeat.

but i think i know what gr is getting at - by trading in a roundabout way then he bypasses commissions and taxes - and end up with $1mil in cash in six months.

hmmmm - perhaps - but only if it came with written, exit-proof contracts that the agreement would be honoured.

hi all
simple question
GR,I voted no if you were to go too any high end auction house and see what jewlery and stones sell for , and then see what is priced in the open market for one mill, it may only be worth 100k at the auctions,plus with all the fake stones out there that are that good not even a scan can tell the difference it would be too high a risk,if it was "Gold" that it would be no problem..imho..willair.

I haven't voted because I'm not really sure I understand the question. If you mean, if I have $1mil in jewellery, would I trade for the same value in property, then, yes, no questions. However, that would never happen because I don't have (or want) any jewellery, apart from my wedding rings and a necklace.

My Answer is no unless it was gold and the jewelery was priced very close to the commercial price of gold.

As already mentioned - the mark up on jewelery is such that there would need to be a significant increase in the valuation of the jewelery to even come close to apples for apples.

If you aare going on insurance valuations then they are even more skewed to the over valued side ensuring high premiums and then when time comes to claim try and control the cost by having assigned jewelers.

Cheers

OK, took me a while to understand question but I think GR is asking:

If you own a $1M property
would you barter it for your choice of $1M worth retail jewelry
then in 6 months trrade the $1M worth retail jewelry for $1M cash

did I read it right lawrence?

simple answer is if you come out better off either financially or through gaining bettter business connections, leveraging/negotiating power, networks, relations, knowledge of other financing/deals and structures, etc with this strategy rather than just having the $1M property then yes I would do it :D

trade your property for the jewlery.

6 months later trade the jewelery for cash.

then use the cash to perhaps buy "better" property thank you had in the first place ...

It's a no contest.

Jewellery is never worth what it costs, there is no rent or appreciation (or tax depreciation).

If you think it's worth what it costs, try and either trade it in or sell it on ebay.

Therefore, I would:

a) never buy jewellery of any great (supposed) value, and
b) never trade it for property.

Unless of course you could buy $1 mill worth of jewellery for $500k (or way less as would be the normal scenario if you bought it second hand), and take it with the valuation for $1 mill and swap it for some poor bunnie's $1 mill property.

I read that there is an option (or a deal) to trade the jewelery back after 6 months for the cash ...

maybe GR has been offered this deal and is wondering what others would do.

"with the opportunity to trade that jewlery back in 6 months for 1 mil in cash"

swap property for jewelery then to cash ... at this point in time I would do it.

Back