Wow! Cheap granny flat

I love seeing these kinds of opportunities; they really inspire my mind and make me think of the possibilities!

I'd love to tackle a big-block granny-flat addition one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... are ALL the costs considered here. Brazen?
Also I would have thought that the 2 bedder at 42sqm is a bit squeezy given that the max size of 60sqm is allowable.

great for students?

know a person in hurstville who has converted front house into 6 bedrooms and put 3 demountables in the backyard all commanding a rent of $2000 pw :eek:

all illegal ofcourse...oh and the properties are too ;)

How did you come up with $50K installed?

I read it as kit only $38,500 +
Installation of the above $43,500
TOTAL $82,000

There are a lot better options out there. I personally like these ones:

http://metkithomes.com.au/files/range/granny-flat.php

That's 59.8m2 of floor area so fits just under the 60m2 max for granny flats. They've taken the prices down for now, but from memory it was about $50K supply only and about the same for installation. So, not much different from the cheaper ones linked with lower spec.

Cheers,
Michael

For something I was writing I went and visited a granny flat out in Sydney's West. Quite an eye opener, and was actually surprised by how nice it was. Then, when visited a friend, I went and saw one in the Hunter... not a good day. Bad installation, leaking roof, etc etc.

I don't think cheap = bad. But make sure there are some damn good conditions around that contract that protect you for repairs in the months following.

Also, these days, I think that certain things are worth considering in a granny flat - air conditioning and built in wardrobes, for instance. Tenants seem to expect that as there really isn't space in a G.Flat as is?

Hmmm.... are ALL the costs considered here. Brazen?
Also I would have thought that the 2 bedder at 42sqm is a bit squeezy given that the max size of 60sqm is allowable.

Hi Jacque,

Yea, you really have to look at the total costs and what you get for the money. A LOT of buisneses out there do this to uneducated buyers.- they claim a building cost which looks great but they omit site costs etc.

The other thing they do is make the design 'look' big by drawing unscaled plans on their brochures but if you look closely they're really small with 2.1m bedroom for example.

Anyone can go and order materials at wholesale prices these days- the outlets are everywhere. The profit is in the labour and even then it's like 20% on granny flats. Some of the fatter operators are banking on peoples' ignorance. They can't sell to street-smart people, they're after the rest.

My clients are pretty clued into what things really cost and if they're not, I fill them in, which is fine by me. If someone wants to know the REAL COST of a granny flat, the info is right there for them to see. I wrote an article about Granny Flat prices called "The good, the bad and the outrageous" here:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/news/granny-flat-prices/

I hope it helps people dissect the entire design, approval and building process a bit better. It sometimes irks me that so many businesses bank on people's ignorance...but that's been the way it is since the dawn of time.

Needless to say, I don't think my competitors like me very much :eek:

Back