writing options and tax

I understand that when it comes to filling out the tax return and shares you have to distinguish whether you are a share trader or investor.

As an investor, CGT comes into play a lot more.

I am a bit perplexed as to how account for the writing of options, especially naked options. How is the premium received treated in taxation terms?

Would you automatically be considered a share trader and not an investor because you are writing options?

I have received several different responses from the ATO and am on the verge of asking for a private ruling.

Charttv

I'd suspect that really need talk to a real accountant about that.

The answer worth a lot of money. You probably need to spend a little bit of money to find out the "right" answer. And that answer may well depend on circumstances that only your accountant knows.

There is an article on the asx website by an accountant that discusses the tax treatment of options. I imagine you are writing options with a life of less than 1 yr? I think the conclusion was basically you treat the option premium as income when it is received (even if the position is still open), regardless of any trading/investing category your other stuff might be in.

It's a pdf someone on the ASX site. Bit of a pain to find. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll try and find it again.

Back