X-coll is not good

We have an over-riding desire to keep the portfolio intact, as we think it will benefit us more long term than the grief we are going through at the moment.....but this may change if our lack of control and lack of options continues.
Life's short....

For the dedicated IPers here, balancing the long term with the short term is easy early in the equity building stages - the long term wins every time.

It gets harder to balance the long term with the short term once you've got significant equity.... in other words 'how much is enough?'....

Listed property has plummetted (apologies for using a D&G word) by 50% in the last 6 months. Your bank thinks there is a possibility of unlisted property (like yours) following, and your LVR going from 49% to 98% in a v. short space of time.

They suggested you reduce your exposure a while back while the market was still high. I'd be negotiating the sale of an asset or two, telling the bank you'll be reducing their risk by reducing your debt to them. And importantly attempting to keep the LVR as high as possible so they don't get ALL the sale proceeds and an even lower LVR and you get to extract a few $$$. That would be a win-win - they have lower exposure & a slightly lower LVR, you get to keep some of the $$$.

And an 'out there' idea to consider is do what Greg Goodman did - set up a cpy/trust for the props, get outside equity funding, you stay on as CEO and keep control with commensurate fees, eventually float on ASX.

Dazz

What an absolute bummer! Just as you're getting within sight of the goal posts, they've been moved! :eek: Lots of suggestions above - I can't think of anything which hasn't already been raised.

Knowing the tenacity you've displayed in past battles, I'm sure you'll eventually find a path through this morass. Good luck to you and Mrs Dazz - hope you sort this mess out sooner rather than later.

Hang in there, Dazz - and don't let the faceless financiers win!

Cheers
LynnH

Dazz,

A friend sent me this quote when I faced hurdles last year...

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn"

and this one..

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

excellent advice from you again Keith.
It sounds simple but everyone struggles with this.
A lot of people like to pull out that line "where do you want to be in the future and then work backwards from there" .... that has to be one of the most difficult questions in life for me to answer as its always evolving.
As for me, i'm a lazy **** and think life is too short to "work".

After many years of thinking and dreaming about it, i have decided to take the plunge and move to Thailand so i can indulge in hobbies such as learning to speak, read & write Thai, help at orphanages, play golf, buy an old condo and renovate it, go scuba diving, go to the gym, learn Muay Thai, learn to mediate, do yoga, read books, go to cinema, study the stock market, take Thai cooking classes, fish, swim, go to the beach, travel to neighbouring countries, take up photography and write a book. Any spare time will be spent getting massages, drinking beer and visiting my favourite go-go bars.

Being single without kids makes this decision a lot easier to make :)

Life's short....

For the dedicated IPers here, balancing the long term with the short term is easy early in the equity building stages - the long term wins every time.

It gets harder to balance the long term with the short term once you've got significant equity.... in other words 'how much is enough?'....

Dazz

As someone else said "bugger".

I'll drop you a pm. At the $ level we're talking about I may be able to introduce to some "major client" style property finance bankers who will understand your scenario and security position best. That LVR looks pretty good, even for large property backed financing.

Cheers
N.

Thank you one and all for your feedback so far. There are some great suggestions there - and some that we wouldn't pursue.

I sat down and read the thread contents out to the wife last night, and will probably do the same tonight, such that we can gather our thoughts.

To clear the picture somewhat, I should explain a few things ;

1. This Bank is the one we have been with since the start. After asking them for support, and providing all of the numbers to them, they refused to support us with purchasing our most recent acquisition - the shed. Two reasons were given, firstly they believed they were exposed to us enough, and secondly they believed we could not afford the repayments, especially if the tenant went belly up.

2. They were however, after much gnashing of teeth, prepared to release two titles this time last year. This enabled us to do the shed deal with another Lender.

3. The Bank literally chucked a wobbly when we did the deal, although they weren't really sure we even did it as they weren't privy to it. They are still of the opinion we cannot afford the shed deal, and it compromises our cashflow and hence theirs.

4. They asked me to show them all of the financials on the deal with the other Lender. I knew this was not right and refused them. They said we cannot do anything with you at all moving forward, as we need to see the full picture of what you are doing. I kept repeating that they have no right to ask or demand that of me, but they said that's the bottom line.

5. I asked for what assurances they could give me (in terms of releasing a title) if indeed I did show them everything. They muffled and shuffled around, and would not commit to anything....it had to go back to the review panel, and any 1 of those 9 may object and therefore kill the prospect. He couldn't guarantee anything, and wouldn't allow me to speak with them....none of them ever do. You cannot get to the decision makers.

6. I asked him to specify exactly what hurdles the Bank used or were going to set for me, before they were satisfied on things such as LVR and DSR. He said it wasn't like that, and much more complicated than that. I asked him to oblige me with the complicated decision making model, and who knows, perhaps I may even understand a small portion of it. This was point blank refused.

7. We left the conversation with me obliged to furnish him with as much data as possible on the portfolio that they are involved with, with a heavy expectation to furnish him with the data from the other Lender. He left with no obligation back to me whatsoever.

8. Next thing we know, after 4 months of silence, is a one page letter saying literally thanks for the data, no you can't have a title back, don't ask again, and we are concerned about your cashflows because we simply don't know what you are doing with your other Lender....and until we do, zippo.

Everything we have with this Bank is xrossed with each other. Selling a prop. and paying the debt of that one and perhaps some others doesn't help us one bit. The bank is not obligated to release any titles to us, even if that individual one is paid off. We know this.

We also acknowledge fully that we signed the documentation, after much toing and froing with the Bank's solicitors. We read and understood every page. We knew what we were getting in for. The Bank has every right to stomp on us like this.

The wife and I have considered selling the one prop in the CBD when it has it's market review. It's value should jump considerably, to be nearly equal to the full debt held with this Bank. That is certainly an option open to us, but after doing the comparison figures, it's a very ugly alternative indeed.

To sell the one prop and discharge all debts with the Bank would involve our controlled assets being massively reduced, a multi-mega CGT bill, and the big kicker is surprisingly our after-tax cashflow would reduce by over 100K p.a. Talk about take a 5 year step back on the investing trail.

The Bank has agreed to leave us alone until end of May 09, when they shall be entitled to review our position again. At this time, some of our very low fixed rate loans shall mature, and be subjected to the - much higher - prevailing rates.

The best thing for us I suppose is that we are not forced to make a decision in a hurry....other than getting me out of this job.

Other things that need mentioning to round out the discussion ;

1. We don't wish to buy anything else. We have enough. There - I've answered it.
2. I'm not interested in bringing other people on board such that I would be answerable to them.
3. We don't wish to sell anything.

Our only goal in this debacle is to extract one title deed. The key to ditching the job and living the life we wish to centre's around this one deed. Perhaps this 2nd mortgage thing is the way to go. I don't know anything about those. Can the 1st Lender refuse ??

Oh - and keith - our props are still going up in value. Dunno about these LPT's, but ours are all OK. The Bank agrees with us on this point fortunately.

Hi Dazz

Bummer! Now you know why Centro hit the wall - it wasn't the quality of their assets! There are a few missing pieces in this jigsaw which you may or may not be willing to share. No matter - I will try to cover a few scenarios in order - forgive me if this is a long post and already obvious to you but it may provide another view:

1 Remove all transaction/CC/insurance/everything other than loans business from this bank. This will make portfolio review time more difficult as they won't know what the don't know but is ultimately defensible on the grounds you wish to separate private and business banking. They can't argue with that. You will just need to manage the greater information flow at review time but this leaves you with more cards to play in future. It would be worth it to put up with a lower than offset account interest rate on your cash just to achieve this aim and you may be able to better balance income between spouses anyway to chase the lower tax brackets.

2 Is the PPOR bound up in this mess? If not you could sell that to release some CGT free gains and / or refinance it with another lender for the purpose of paying IP interest (maintaining tax deductibility) and buy you some time / money. Although retiring would still lead to the same consequences with the Bank...

3 Are there significant amounts of fixed loans in this facility that are currently "in the money" for a long period? If so then they have you by the short and curlies - they know you can't go anywhere else so can be as conservative as they like. Can't blame 'em as there is no upside for them - only downside if it all turns to custard. And you are enjoying the benefits of lower IRs on your portfolio so it's difficult to complain...

3a If the facility is mainly variable or fixed around current rates, then you should consider taking the whole facility elsewhere. If you can find a good CIP mortgage broker with a bit of time on his hands (!) to herd the cats, this would ideally be shopped out among different lenders. It sounds like you may have tried this (I'm not sure from your post)? If not it would be worth the 6-12 months worth of pain!

3b I suspect shopping around the lenders won't work as they will probably feel pretty nervous about the securities held by others. In that case, take the whole thing to one other (big 4?) lender minus the security / securities you want to keep. Tell them when you plan to quit work. You will still have a x-coll mess but it will be a slightly smaller mess and you will get back some control. If they have similar IRs and won't touch the deal then you know your Bank is being reasonable and you'll just have to suck it in. It's one way of finding out if your Bank is just relying on you not going elsewhere or has more legitimate concerns (eg IRs keep rising and bottom falls out of CIP market etc) that are common throughout the industry.

If your situation is as described in point 3 then try keeping in mind the bigger picture. This Bank has obviously been putting up shedloads of money on your behalf and been a fantastic partner in your wealth creation journey. If they are getting a bit nervous then that's fair enough - they're fully entitled to. It doesn't matter they appear to be "faceless" - they gave you the best deal available at the time. You may just have to sit tight for a couple of years while the cashflows consolidate and they get their comfort levels back. Working for another couple of years, while it may seem like eternity, isn't really that big a deal compared to the financial consequences of any knee-jerk reactions that may be tempting at the moment.

And who knows, if you didn't have all the securities locked together, would you really have been able to get access to the funds you did for each deal at comparable IRs? An interesting hypothetical but given there is some scale in the portfolio it is quite possible your ability to continue growing would have been compromised (eg higher IRs) without the overall facility. Some comfort perhaps? Have to take the good with the bad...

Hope this helps...

Edit: From that above post, it sounds like May 09 is the exit date for this Bank!

Last edited:
Excellent health - and good spirits - what more do you want?

May 2009 - rent for CBD property will have gone up? interest rates may have come down? another re-assessment then.

Sounds like you have to sit tight and do nothing (which means keeping your lovely new job) as planned until then?

bummer though

Dazz,

I'm sure you will sooner or later get released from x coll.

On a tinier scale I certainly understand how you feel.
You are being held tight by your lender.
We are being held tight by our credit card debt.

We also, like you, knew what we were doing and the consequences.

It's the wriggling and squirming we are doing now to stay above water, that is consuming our financial life.

If we had to do it over, we would have done the same thing.

Everytime we move ahead two steps, we trip,dust our selves off and off again we go.

Oil prices (because we have to provide heat in our building, as it is a "loop"system heating) have almost tripled in 3 years. Feral tenants...but that is an ongoing concern in this particular town. They are all scum and I no longer expect anything better from them.

We want to retire in 25 months and move back to Aus.We need/must get these credit cards under control to do so.

Great faith you and Mrs Dazz will also find a solution...

I will be following your progress with interest.

Kathryn

ok, so the wants,

quit job.

The provisos,

hold current portfolio, which is split in 2 uneven portions between 2 lenders.

no adding or subtracting (due to CG and reduced cashflow)

The option tried is to simply withdraw one title, from the larger portion of the portfolio, which seems a little dificult at the moment.

I take it this is so as to borrow against it with another lender to LOE?

What are the other options that still achieve the desired result?

2nd mortgage? on either the properties held by the major lender, or the minor lender.

what are the vals like with the minor lender? Can you take out more equity from this deal?

Would this portfolio be acceptable to a non conforming lender? The rates are higher, but it may acheive the result in the short term.

i hate to be facetious, but this is a great problem to have, I must say.

Sorry to hear about the set back Daz.

Sucks, but I reckon it's just that - a set back. As you've said, both your rents and your values are continuing to rise, which will only put you in a stronger position come May next year (assuming the fixed rates moving to variable don't chew up all the rent increases).

As someone mentioned earlier (and please feel free not to answer) - would you have been able to amass the portfolio you now have if you years ago had gone around spreading it all to different lenders?

I sincerely ask, as I'm trying to learn from the experiece you've detailed and how it could possibly effect me down the track. As much as it sucks, I'd rather have a $100M portfolio and be worrying about how to un-crossXol than have a $10M portfolio and not being able to advance myself from that with ease.

The Bank has agreed to leave us alone until end of May 09, when they shall be entitled to review our position again. At this time, some of our very low fixed rate loans shall mature, and be subjected to the - much higher - prevailing rates.

Sounds ominous...

Can someone comment on what the saga behind Centro was about?

Are there any similarities here?

Last edited:
As someone mentioned earlier (and please feel free not to answer) - would you have been able to amass the portfolio you now have if you years ago had gone around spreading it all to different lenders?

I sincerely ask, as I'm trying to learn from the experiece you've detailed and how it could possibly effect me down the track. As much as it sucks, I'd rather have a $100M portfolio and be worrying about how to un-crossXol than have a $10M portfolio and not being able to advance myself from that with ease.

This goes to the very heart of the matter for us as investors. My honest answer is that we couldn't have possibly bought what we did without Xing everything up as badly as we did. The new Lender who enabled us purchase the shed with no money down also x-ed us up.....and we were happy with that. Without doing so, we could never have afforded to buy the assets.

Big and X-colled is better than small and neatly financed....IMHO.

As I said before - we went into these deals with our eyes wide open. In hindsight, we would do exactly the same thing if we had to repeat. We haven't put a cent into any of our deals for 6 or so years now.

Step one - get big, and in doing so pop on the straight jacket. I guess we are at step two where we are figuring how to wriggle out of the straight jacket.

I guess we just need to do a "Houdini".

So Dazz, in all sincerity, are any of your mentors wealthy?

WW,

I've only got one, and only see him fleetingly when he can spare 10 mins or so. Haven't spoken to him in over a year - so we aren't exactly chummy. And yes, he's what I would call wealthy. He'd be two clear levels above us.

If so, did they see the sub prime mess coming?

He's so set up and been investing in industrial & comm stuff since the late 50's....he doesn't have any debt, so I suppose he doesn't care what happens to folk with debt.

Thanks Daz, appreciate it.

That's the sort of thinking I have at the moment, but that's one of the great parts of the game, always learning and adjusting.

WW,

He's so set up and been investing in industrial & comm stuff since the late 50's....he doesn't have any debt, so I suppose he doesn't care what happens to folk with debt.

yup, the truly wealthy people I know don't need to borrow. They just wait for times like this to go around buying stuff from the overstretched.

In which case, they don't make well rounded mentors for a starter outerer.

Back