Yardney's 'How & Where To Invest in Property in 2008'

Does anyone have an opinion of Michael Yardney's latest seminar?

http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/0208/how_and_where_to_invest_2008.html

I will give you the knowledge on how to take advantage of the property markets in 2008 and how to avoid the traps. And Ed Chan will show you about Assets Protection, Trusts and Tax. And who better to teach you about this than the author of Australia's top selling business books: "How to Legally Reduce Your Tax" "Wealth for Life" and "How to Control Your Super".
Many people see the best investment vehicle for most Australians is residential property but the property markets are changing and the rules are very different to a few years ago. And I will explain this difference and which properties you should buy and more importantly what not to buy.
We will explain how the rich become richer by having the right mindset. They think in a certain way and do things in a certain way.

I believe the current property markets on the east coast of Australia and in particular in Melbourne, Sydney and South East Queensland offer great opportunities for investors. The opportunity to get set to take advantage of a new property cycle only occurs 2 or 3 times in your adult lifetime.

While there will be some great opportunities the rules are different now and not every location will experience property price growth in the short term and even in the better suburbs, not every property will perform well.

So in response to many readers of my e-magazine wanting to understand how to take advantage of the opportunities that lie ahead I will be holding the only round of public seminars I will be conducting until mid year.

At these seminars I will lay out in front of you where I see our property markets heading over the next few years and what I am personally doing about it.

Am I being naive or does it sound too wishy washy for anyone else?

Maybe I should i read into the "The opportunity to get set to take advantage of a new property cycle..." as he is waiting for very hard times to hit before jumping in to his selection growth prospects?

Does anyone have an opinion of Michael Yardney's latest seminar?

Am I being naive or does it sound too wishy washy for anyone else?

Go along and see first hand for yourself. Then you will be able to make an informed decision yourself.

Anything else is just wishy washy.

Hope this helps

can't argue with that Rixter.
i will search for previous comments on Yardney's seminars/ viewpoints before i throw down money looking for an answer i probably should be determining myself.
having said that, please do enlighten if you have any experience with Yardney's seminars(?)

MM
I went to this day seminar last year as well as the 3 day workshop in Melbourne.
Even if you can pickup a couple handy tips, its money well spent.
The seminar gave me the motivation to buy the property we have just got finance approval for. Also Ed gave some good financing tips which I've put into practice
For $89 there's really no downside.
Also Ed's " Wealth 4 life" and Michaels most recent book are a good read for under $30

Ross:D

I would start by reading a promoters books before paying for their seminars.

Soon there is this US trading educator coming out to Australia, love his books and work and it's been valuable to me, but at $3k for the seminar I'm going to pass on this as I've got what I consider most of his good stuff and my needs are going to be different to most of his audience I believe. If I was earning 5x my current income then I would go anyway so there is a point where money matters I guess.

My prediction is that MY will only ever recommend buying properties in the cities in which he has a BA; so currently that means Mel, Syd & Bris. Not only that, he will never recommend not buying in cities he has a BA in. So IMHO MY/Metropole can't offer unbiased advice when it come to where to invest.

That aside, I'm sure you can learn something in the seminar, probably more along the lines of "how", unless of course that how means using a BA, LOL.

My prediction is that MY will only ever recommend buying properties in the cities in which he has a BA; so currently that means Mel, Syd & Bris. Not only that, he will never recommend not buying in cities he has a BA in. So IMHO MY/Metropole can't offer unbiased advice when it come to where to invest.

Fully agreed.

Tried to have a chat with Michael at his Perth seminar that he did with Ed Chan last year. There was a group of about 7 or 8 SSers attending. He wasn't interested.

Michael wasn't interested in chatting about the Perth market, there wasn't any money in that activity for him. Ed stopped however, and we had a good chinwag, I learnt a bit of him and vice versa. He recommended we trade places, and for him to sit down and myself to get on stage and present what I do.

Met Michael again at last year's Property expo in the same building, the convention centre. Once again, tried to approach, but he was signing books and palming people off to his team who were flogging Melbourne residential stock....something I'm not interested in. Once he realised I wasn't buying anything in Melbourne, he turned and ignored me completely. Fair enough I thought. It's only business, and he's got another 500 people to flog his wares to.

During his presentation, he took great delight however in 'predicting' or 'informing' the Perth crowd that Perth real estate....(what is that exactly ??) was going to take a dive and sit stagnant for years, and you'd all be far better off ploughing your dough into Melbourne as it is going to see huge upswing. Apparently huge meant ± 15 to 20%..., when pressed for numbers ??

What I do know, is that he completely misread the Perth market (both ressy and comm), and is still misreading the industrial market over here, were we are still enjoying selective CG returns ranging from 70 to 100% p.a. for land, and rental increases of anywhere from 45 up to 120% - especially in the CBD. Not in housing, and not the median, but then I don't invest in that stuff, so those figures don't have any relevance.

Anyway, I decided last year to leave Michael to his own devices and I'll concentrate on what I know. I wish him as much success in his endeavours as he'd obviously wish for me in my endeavours. :)

Fully agreed.

Tried to have a chat with Michael at his Perth seminar that he did with Ed Chan last year. There was a group of about 7 or 8 SSers attending. He wasn't interested.

Michael wasn't interested in chatting about the Perth market, there wasn't any money in that activity for him. Ed stopped however, and we had a good chinwag, I learnt a bit of him and vice versa. He recommended we trade places, and for him to sit down and myself to get on stage and present what I do.

Met Michael again at last year's Property expo in the same building, the convention centre. Once again, tried to approach, but he was signing books and palming people off to his team who were flogging Melbourne residential stock....something I'm not interested in. Once he realised I wasn't buying anything in Melbourne, he turned and ignored me completely. Fair enough I thought. It's only business, and he's got another 500 people to flog his wares to.

During his presentation, he took great delight however in 'predicting' or 'informing' the Perth crowd that Perth real estate....(what is that exactly ??) was going to take a dive and sit stagnant for years, and you'd all be far better off ploughing your dough into Melbourne as it is going to see huge upswing. Apparently huge meant ± 15 to 20%..., when pressed for numbers ??

What I do know, is that he completely misread the Perth market (both ressy and comm), and is still misreading the industrial market over here, were we are still enjoying selective CG returns ranging from 70 to 100% p.a. for land, and rental increases of anywhere from 45 up to 120% - especially in the CBD. Not in housing, and not the median, but then I don't invest in that stuff, so those figures don't have any relevance.

Anyway, I decided last year to leave Michael to his own devices and I'll concentrate on what I know. I wish him as much success in his endeavours as he'd obviously wish for me in my endeavours. :)

Dazz,

I read your post....and found it hilarious! :D

I agree....most of the property companies/spruikers seem to have their own interests at heart...i.e. to ensure their wallets are full...which is okay. That is why I enjoy the SS forum so much....it seems to give me some very good independent discussion and debate.

Whilst Perth may not be growing in terms of price...it certainly is still undersupplied from a rental perspective.

The other things I find with some of these annoying BAs is that they tend to cover the more expensive inner city areas of Melbourne and Brisbane.....ignoring the fact some of the highest growth areas are out of these areas.

From a personal perspective....I feel that most BAs add very little value. If people simply read SS, consulted magazines like API, YIP, and bought some of the Terry Ryder/ Residex reports and did their own research they are likely to beat the "so called" experts. All the experts I consulted wrote off Adelaide...yet I bought in.....so it is quite funny. :D

Keep the funny posts coming....lol...lol..:D

That aside, I'm sure you can learn something in the seminar, probably more along the lines of "how", unless of course that how means using a BA, LOL.

Sorry guys - you are wrong

Last night in Adelaide I made a number of specific - not general recommendations for Adelaide property and we do not have an agency there! In fact I named 4 suburbs.

Sure last year I said there were better places to buy than in Perth - and in general I was right. That does not mean theera re o oppotunities in Perth but I explained where WA was in the cycle. And I was right.

I am not always correct and do I have a servive to sell - sure I do and I am not embarrassed to mention it, because it is mixed with heaps of great information.

And if you come to talk to me when I am surrounded by a group of people, please don't consider me rude, if I choose not to ignore the others instead of giving you exclusive attention. Why would I try to be rude to anyone - that's not me - but obviously I can't pease everyone either.

In my humble opinion, it's not the tips and tricks and secrets that you should be coming for - forum members have enough property "knowlege".

The most valuable lessons I believe I have to offer are related to the "mindset" of success becuase tha'ts where the most leverage can be gained.

I attended his seminar in adelaide last night and was dissapointed. The whole night was rushed, topics were skimmed over and the venue was extremely uncomfortable. i also found the whole organisation a little unprofessional, with stuff ups and lengthy delays trying to get things fixed. basically the presentation was a huge sales pitch for Metropole's services (I'm a salesperson, so it was easy to see the underlying messages).

The content of the presentation shallow. Spend your money on books!

Happy :)

And i'm in marketing. This line is wheeled out often by marketing guys. Especially in the States. What it does is put the responsibility (and accountability) for success squarely on the receiver of the information, and off the provider of info.

I'm not saying Michaels info is not good or that he is a marketer (some people call it spruiker). Its just what i've seen countless times.

The most valuable lessons I believe I have to offer are related to the "mindset" of success becuase tha'ts where the most leverage can be gained.

thanks all, including the famous Dazzling and Michael :)
great to have a little open and honest perspective thrown out there from all sides of the sphere...

One could argue Michael is selling himself short if he does not use 'tried and tested' marketing techniques.

I think it is clear Michael has something to offer and has many years of experience in his chosen area. I guess it is difficult to move away from what you know best and what you are committed to...
my take is his seminar advice should provide benefit to those who are not experts (very subjective) with property investing, however as always, one should do there due diligence and know why they are choosing a particular path (once again i have to rely on my own competence, damn!).

tell you what, i will read the book, and provide my thoughts in this thread (i will not be offended if you don't hold your breath :D)

Cheers,
MM

Last edited:
I also attended the Adelaide seminar and would like to thank Michael and his team for a well presented evening. I got alot out of it and took 5 pages of notes!

My business development manager and I had breakfast the next day with Michael and his wife and got to know what wonderful insprational people they are and that their success truly lies in the way they think.

The reason we organised a breakfast was because I totally respect that he is a busy man and the rules of networking. One of which is do not waste the presenters time! You cannot expect to corner and monopolise the presenter so that he can tell you and you only where and how to invest. Then come onto a public forum and tell everyone that he did not have time for you and that he was just trying to make money! Well I do hope that he did, he has put in alot of effort for his current success and obviously deserves to reap the benefit now!

Being programed against entreprenuers is a way of holding onto a victim mentality and this is totally against wanting to be a succesful property investor. You need to get rid of this paradox in order to move on and up!

In his seminar Michael did mention that the most important aspect of an investor was mindset and the way to accept that you have no limitations in wealth creation is accept that others also have no limitations and to look up to those who have made it otherwise you never will!

I have a large property portfolio, a buyer's agency in Adelaide and a property management company but I still was in awe of the seminar and took 5 pages of notes. Not because it was new knowledge or information but because it was my thoughts well presented at a seminar. Some one who is also a serious investor came up to me after the seminar and said "Xenia you and I could have put this together" and I replied yes we "could have" but Michael DID! He did it well and good on him for being so pro-active!

I have gotten something out of each and evey seminar that I attended, each one of them just like the property market is just a metaphore for your mind and what you get out of it is ony what YOU get out of it!

Thanks again Michael :D

I attended his seminar in adelaide last night and was dissapointed. The whole night was rushed, topics were skimmed over and the venue was extremely uncomfortable. i also found the whole organisation a little unprofessional, with stuff ups and lengthy delays trying to get things fixed. basically the presentation was a huge sales pitch for Metropole's services (I'm a salesperson, so it was easy to see the underlying messages).

The content of the presentation shallow. Spend your money on books!

Happy :)

like to thank Michael and his team for a well presented evening.

My business development manager and I had breakfast the next day with Michael and his wife and got to know what wonderful insprational people they are and that their success truly lies in the way they think.

Thanks again Michael :D

Bit of an oxymoron.. reading both posts.

Very contrasting feedback.

I agree with Twitch in that the un-biased "advice" his firm provides is very strongly geared towards pushing their own services, which is OK generally speaking as MY has a business to run, however when the head honchos in his firm for BA and Development side totally discount / rubbish certain areas where "incidentally" they dont offer their services, then the advice becomes seriously compromised and cant be considered objective anymore.

I have multiple examples to illustrate the above based on my meetings with his BA and Development teams' Managers.

Harris

Bit of an oxymoron.. reading both posts.
Very contrasting feedback.

Rich people focus on opportunities & Poor people focus on obstacles!

It comes down to the age-old question, "Is the glass half empty or half full?" We're not talking positive thinking here, we're talking about your habitual perspective. Poor people make choices based upon fear. Their minds are constantly scanning for what could go wrong in any situation. Their primary mind-set is "What if it doesn't work?" or, more often, "It won't work."

Middle-class people are slightly more optimistic. Their mind-set is "I sure hope this works."

Rich people take responsibility for the results in their lives and act upon the mind-set, "It will work because I'll make it work."

Rich people expect to succeed.

Food for thought.

I totally respect that he is a busy man and the rules of networking. One of which is do not waste the presenters time! You cannot expect to corner and monopolise the presenter so that he can tell you and you only where and how to invest.

Corner and monopolise ?? Hey ??

I gather this is directed at moi. I guess I'm just not as busy as all the important folk and don't understand the networking rules. I've always been rubbish at that, especially with folks in suits.....gives me the willies to tell you the truth. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to chinwagging with my truck driving buddies who also don't understand the "networking rules".

Then come onto a public forum and tell everyone that he did not have time for you and that he was just trying to make money!

...or maybe it had nothing to do with that. Good ol'Ed Chan had plenty of time for a chat. Maybe he also is like me and doesn't quite get the hang of these "networking rules". I'm happy to hang out with the networks numpties....might be good fun. :D

Being programed against entreprenuers is a way of holding onto a victim mentality and this is totally against wanting to be a succesful property investor.

Phew....now I know you're talking about someone else. Victim mentality and myself as a property investor don't belong in the same sentence.

You need to get rid of this paradox in order to move on and up!

It's interesting you say that Xenia, I normally like to take on board suggestions and advice from folk who are further along the track than the wife and I. I gather in your instance, this isn't quite the case, so I'm quite taken aback with your breath taking presumptions and gall.

I have a large property portfolio, a buyer's agency in Adelaide and a property management company but....

Yes well, as has been proven on many occassions, the definition of "large" is somewhat subjective unless numbers are provided, and has different meanings for different folks. Some people say "large" when indeed it's quite modest.

Perhaps at your level Angelo & Xenia, you were able to extract quite alot from Michael's presentation.

Maybe I've just got the wrong mindset, and as Rixter pointed out, destined to be poor all my life with my negative attitude. I know what, howzabout we all have a little competition and we'll compare notes now and in say....3 years time. Who's up for it ?? Good vs evil. Poor vs Wealthy. Negative vs Positive. Yin vs Yang. Happy vs Grumpy. Could be fun. :)

In the words of Dr. Phil "Well what did you expect was going to happen?"

Back