Yet another PPOR to IP thread

Hi there
We are planning to take our first step into investing and would like to convert our PPOR to an investment property.
We bought our 2 bedroom unit with the FHOG at $260K 2 years ago. Unfortunately then I did not know about offset accounts so we did not setup our loan structure that way. Fortunately I starting reading on Somersoft about how paying off the principal of the loan lowers tax deductibility, and thus we have kept extra home loan payments to a minimum and have only paid $10K off the loan.
We have seriously outgrown our current place and need a house with a yard. We are planning to buy a 3 bedroom house for about $350K hopefully latest by July this year.
We have a combined annual income of about 90K. Our problem is that we do not have the deposit for the next place mostly due to bad planning and unforseen circumstances. We could save about 10K by July but that wouldn’t be enough.
I am thinking about getting an equity loan out of our current 2 bedroom unit. We estimate that our place would be worth currently $320K and would rent for $350 per week.

Current PPOR
Existing loan - $250K
Current Value - $320K
LVR – 78%
Bring LVR to 90% = about $40K

That should be enough for a 5% deposit plus costs on our next home and costs that would be occurred renting out our current place.

So here come my questions:
-If I set this equity loan up as a separate loan account, would I contaminate the loan for when it is converted into an investment property? Would this be clear cut enough for the accountant to separate the tax deductable interest from the non deductable interest?

- We plan to live in our next home for 2 years and then do the same thing, move to the next PPOR and rent that one out(because we will most likely be moving interstate at that time) I will setup an interest only with offset account this time around. Are there any other downsides to repeatedly converting PPORs to IPs?

- Is having 1 property with 90% LVR and the other with 95% LVR really dangerous in the current climate? The only other alternative we have is to sell our current PPOR to fund the next but I really don’t want to do this.

Please advice if I made any mistakes in my plan, I am a newbie but very enthusiastic about this forum and property investing. The hardest part is taking the first step I guess. Thanks in advance.

With an annual income of 90k plus about 17k rental and a debt of about 630k.

The rental income should cover most of your debt on your former property. Only you can determine if you are okay. How secure is your job?

How much of the 90k do you keep after tax??

It is on the higher end but it looks to be serviceable...though you have little room to move.

- Is having 1 property with 90% LVR and the other with 95% LVR really dangerous in the current climate? The only other alternative we have is to sell our current PPOR to fund the next but I really don’t want to do this.

Please advice if I made any mistakes in my plan, I am a newbie but very enthusiastic about this forum and property investing. The hardest part is taking the first step I guess. Thanks in advance.

These things are so easy, I can't really believe there are questions about it...

There is one "vital" step: Get a valuation done when the PPOR becomes an IP. End of story....

PS. There is one tax loophole too. If you are moving out of your PPOR for work reasons, you can still technically claim that house as your PPOR. I did this, and in the end, I was able to choose which place I wanted to pay my CG on..the one with the least gain of course...:)

Thanks Sash for your reply. Both my partner and me are on the 30% tax bracket so after tax we are getting about $61K. Our jobs are secure - as far as I know. We estimate that the rent & tax deductions will cover the IP expenses but have not got professional confirmation yet.

If I set this equity loan up as a separate loan account, would I contaminate the loan for when it is converted into an investment property? Would this be clear cut enough for the accountant to separate the tax deductable interest from the non deductable interest?

Sorry if my questions sounded silly, HandyAndy. It's just that I done many a search on PPOR to IP threads and the advice given about not contaminating the loan with non tax deductible debt always seems to come up. I just wanted to check if getting an equity loan(with the purpose of the loan being for a PPOR) might cause any of the original loan to be non tax deductible. I guess if the equity loan gets split into another account, it would be fairly clear cut to the accountant, but just wanted to be sure before I proceed.

We plan to live in our next home for 2 years and then do the same thing, move to the next PPOR and rent that one out(because we will most likely be moving interstate at that time) I will setup an interest only with offset account this time around. Are there any other downsides to repeatedly converting PPORs to IPs?

After living in this 2 bedroom unit for 2 years, the rent has gone up considerably and with tax deductions, it will probably not cost us anything. However if we have rented it out straight after we bought it it would have been Cash Flow -ve. My second question was directed at this. I see the benefit of renting out the place when rents have gone up but is there any catch/downside that you experienced investors would see to converting PPORs to IP after living in them for a few years?

Is having 1 property with 90% LVR and the other with 95% LVR really dangerous in the current climate? The only other alternative we have is to sell our current PPOR to fund the next but I really don’t want to do this.

3rd question was asked because of all the doom & gloom that's on the forum right now, it's a bit unnerving, that’s all, especially for a newbie.
Thanks again

2 days and no answer. Maybe I got too enthusiastic and over-complicated my post. I really just want to know 1 thing, since I am going to proceed with the application for my equity loan from my current PPOR which is going to convert into an IP.
Will taking a split equity loan over my current PPOR to fund my next PPOR cause any problems of tax deductibility later with my original loan when it becomes an IP?

Back